TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
shipklaine Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: nick

Angry Is this discrimination towards me at work? - July 31st 2010, 01:02 AM

I had to quit one of my lifeguarding jobs because for the past 2 weeks I have been having chest pain, been sick to my stomach, and had a very bad headache. all of this gets worse when i am outside. I left wed. after being on stand for less than a half an hour because i got dizzy and i didn't want to pass out on stand-this has happened in the past at another job i had a few years ago. I told my boss and she was nice about it (and now she doesn't believe me. and i had never written a resignation letter before so i looked it up on google and it said that you don't alaways have to write down why you are leaving a job when you write a resignation letter.) then i quit because i've been getting dizzy everytime i'm outside at work. here is the letter i wrote saying i quit...
Jill and Megan-
Please accept this letter as a 2 week notification that I am leaving my position as Head Lifeguard with Concordia Turners effective August 11th. I wish to not be scheduled anymore up until then. I have 2 shifts left-Thursday July 29 from 3pm-9pm and Friday July 30th from 11:30am-6pm. I called to get subs and left messages. No one has gotten a hold of me saying they can take the 2 shifts from me. I can not work these shifts; for now I can not work outside anymore=[ and this is part of why I am resigning.

The other part is that I don't like the fact that you don't have all the equipment you should have to keep a pool open. You have no AED and you need a new backboard. I don't feel safe working a pool with limited equipment, you don't have in-services, and you never put all of us guards in the pool to make sure we can do our skills correctly. It is not safe to have guards on stand for long periods of time with no break. You keep the 1 guard on duty shift too long (3-4) hrs. That's not safe, especially with how high the heat index has been lately.

Jill, just like I told Megan a few weeks ago, just because a lifeguard is certified-and this is DEFINITELY true for new lifeguards-doesn't mean they know how to do all of their skills. It takes experience on the job, and in-services to learn them. The 2 weekends lifeguards spend getting certified to guard isn't long enough to learn the job. If something would happen at the pool and you would need an AED, well, you don't have one. If you would ever have to call EMS it would take them about a half an hour to get there. That's not fast enough if you one day have someone would get seriously hurt.

Even with the backboard you have, only one of the neck braces work. I looked at the neck braces- they are super thin. There is no way one of those could keep a neck from moving around if someone would be placed the one you have. We were never trained on how to use the backboard you have. I looked at it and I couldn't figure out to stabilize the head to the backboard. The width of the board looks smaller than usual. I don't think even the average adult nowadays would be able to fit on it-kids aren't the only ones who can get a head injury at a pool.

Because I am Redcross certified, I am not even trained to use a C-collar (As far as lifeguarding goes, only YMCA certified lifeguards are trained to use the C-collar). All your guards you have now that are Redcross certified and all the guards you have in the future that are Redcross certified are not and will not be certified to use a C-collar. I suggest if you ever get a new backboard get one with the head blocks.

I understand that you are non-profit and that you are most likely on a set, limited budget, but safety should never come second to that. I appreciate the opportunities I have been given here. I wish you and the company success in the future.
Good Luck.

Sincerely,
[Edited]

This is what megan-my manager and new boss-for the 3rd time this summer, wrote me this morning-
Huh! health my a---. No where does he suggest that he is "passing out on his job as a lifeguard because of the heat" ! That is what he hold me yesterday when he returned my phone call. Five will get you ten, he is too overweight and having a heard time with everything else because of it.

I called megan and asked her if she sent this-well f***, someone sent it from her e-mail address. She said she didn't know what the hell i was talking about. then i told her what she wrote me back and she still says she didn't know what i was talking about. so i told her BS and hung up on her.

What she said-is that discriminating me???

p.s. a kid fell off the diving board a couple weeks ago. i don't know if he hit it and fell in the pool or on the ground, or if he just fell on the ground. well anyways he broke his arm cuz of that=[

This is bunny

()_()
(* *)
(___)

Last edited by PSY; September 27th 2012 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Removed full name to protect member's privacy.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: Is this discrimination towards me at work? - August 1st 2010, 03:37 PM

Isn't there a law about the AED? I am pretty sure they could get into serious shit because of that.

Quote:
Because I am Redcross certified, I am not even trained to use a C-collar (As far as lifeguarding goes, only YMCA certified lifeguards are trained to use the C-collar). All your guards you have now that are Redcross certified and all the guards you have in the future that are Redcross certified are not and will not be certified to use a C-collar. I suggest if you ever get a new backboard get one with the head blocks.
Well, they may hire one with YMCA certification.

I would also print out the email and save it for future reference. I don't think being overweight is part of a protected class so technically she is not discriminating against you if you are indeed overweight. I would respond back to her with the email and point out that she needs to not hit "respond all."
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
VampirePrincess Offline
Ice Princess
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Crystal

Re: Is this discrimination towards me at work? - August 2nd 2010, 04:07 PM

I think it's because of all the additional stuff you said. You could have just left the letter at health issues - you've pissed them off with all the stuff you said about working there, and they think now that your health was just an excuse to write them that and rant at them about how terrible the working environment is.

And someone else may truely have sent the email, if they're that lax about the workplace I'll almost guarentee they're the same with email passwords. So don't just declare BS on something like that.

As a final note, if you think something is wrong there, just report it to authorities. Don't try and fix it yourself by talking to the people in charge - don't try to teach a pig to sing, it accomplishes nothing, and only annoys the pig.

{{sending PINTEREST invites! just ask!}}

Volume of a Doughnut
V = 2(pi)^2 * R(r)^2

(#4 (permalink)) Old
keo Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Is this discrimination towards me at work? - August 16th 2010, 02:23 PM

I don't reckon this could be classed as discrimination really. It's bad work practice in the worst sense, but thats about as far as it goes. I reckon just get yourself out of that company asap it does not sound like a good place to be.

In terms of their safety practices, that seems to be another story. As someone else said - look for an authority to contact on that issue. If someone gets hurt because of their lack of care it might be possibly they'd be held liable.

Closed Thread