TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jessica

Employer changing schedule without notice - July 31st 2010, 08:31 PM

I work part-time at a grocery store, and while I generally like it, I've been having problems lately. I work 2-3 times a week, and every day I go in, I check my schedule to see when I work next. I write them down, then put them in my planner at home. In the past month though, there's been 3 times where I get called at home by my manager. My schedule keeps getting changed (I have no idea by who, there are about 5 different people that make the schedules), and I'm never given any notice about it, so I have no idea when I work. As a consequence, I keep missing work, or at least being late for work. I last worked on Sunday, and when I left checked to see what day I next worked. On Sunday, the schedule said that I work today from 4-8pm. But then just a while ago (at about 1pm), one of the managers called to let me know that I was supposed to work at 12:45, and he wanted to know why I hadn't come in. This is getting frustrating. I feel like I never have any idea when I work, and if it keeps happening, I'm worried I'm going to get fired for it. I let the manager know when he called that the schedule had said 4-8 when I last checked, and he said he would look into it. We do have a union that I guess would take care of this sort of thing, but I haven't been working there long enough to go that route. In Canada, are there any rules regarding employers giving notice of schedule changes?

Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius

(#2 (permalink)) Old
L'espoir Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jen

Re: Employer changing schedule without notice - July 31st 2010, 10:25 PM

I don't live in Canada so I don't know about the rules and regulations but it sounds rather unfair. I think you did the right thing letting the manager know what's going on, sounds like he is understanding and he should be able to find who keeps changing the schedule. In the meantime is there anyway you could perhaps ring in at the start of the week to double check the days you are working? Hopefully that will mean you know what shifts you are working.

PM // VM

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Employer changing schedule without notice - July 31st 2010, 11:03 PM

Unless your employment contract you signed or agreed to said you will work on a particular schedule, they can change it whenever they want. If you have a union, then I'd talk to them about it as they could give more influence than you could by talking to the manager/boss. Otherwise, talk to them yourself.

A similar event happened to me to this restaurant I worked at, although it's now been closed for countless problems, each day there were a handful of managers running around. I'm honestly not sure what they were each doing because I asked the chef and he had no clue either. I'm not sure if the managers did. However, there was always this one guy who seemed to know what he was doing, and had pretty good control so I talked to him.

Unfortunately, this was during the summer so I didn't have to fit it around any school schedule, however, I was doing other work that I had to try to fit it around. It got resolved pretty easily as I just asked if I can have it changed and told them it's not because I want to work on those days, it's because I cannot be in two places at once. Fortunately they did change it. Unfortunately, with having so many managers running around, the problem was more in getting paid wrong amounts because each were examining the books, and only that one guy had proper training and experience in it. The rest didn't, so often the problem was not in asking for different hours but for asking for my proper payment (as did many others).

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Employer changing schedule without notice - August 1st 2010, 12:01 AM

Your employer is to be contacting you with any changes to the schedule. I would either, start taking pictures of your schedule, and the next time this happens, show him, or you can photocopy it. Or just talk to your boss, let him know whats going on and that you're concerned about the possibility of being terminated. Let us know the out come

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: Employer changing schedule without notice - August 1st 2010, 01:38 AM

Ask what day the schedule is "set in stone." For us, they have till noon on Saturday to post any changes starting the next week.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Lightning Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Anna

Re: Employer changing schedule without notice - August 1st 2010, 06:15 AM

I think they are allowed to change your schedule every week. What my work usually does is post a big giant note on the schedule board saying,"check the schedule for any hour changes."

I believe something like that would be nice for your workplace to do as well. I only believe they'd do it if all employees hours were switched though here.
My job is normally pretty cool about school schedules and such. I gave mine to them a month ago and they have it all switched and ready.
As for you though, if you notice them doing it all the time take a picture of the original schedule and show the boss.
  Send a message via AIM to Lightning Send a message via MSN to Lightning  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jessica

Re: Employer changing schedule without notice - August 5th 2010, 06:04 AM

Thanks all for the advice. I'm not really sure where I stand yet. I went to work the other day and the assistant manager seemed fine. Hopefully it won't happen again and all will be well. He asked when I check my schedule, and I let him know that I check it every day before I leave work. So hopefully in the future, if in between when I leave work and when I work next they would like to add a shift in, they will let me know.

Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius

(#8 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Employer changing schedule without notice - August 7th 2010, 12:46 PM

It seems as though you have figured things out. I'm going to go ahead and close this. If you have another problem with this issue, feel free to PM me or just make another thread =) Good luck with everything =)

Brittany

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

Closed Thread