TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Dedalus Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Joe

Apply to Cambridge? - August 1st 2010, 08:18 PM

I'm applying to universities for graduate entry medicine entry 2011. I have all of the Irish ones that offer the course, including my current uni, and a couple of English ones.

I'm expecting to get a first in my current degree - a BA, though it could very easily slip to a 2:1.

I had emailed Cambridge and asked them if I'm elgible for their course considering I dont have an A level and might not meet the pre-medical requirements. However, considering the amount of medical modules and chemistry I have done at my uni they've said I'm elgible.

Now the next thing is: should I bother applying to Cambridge?

This could be a complete fantasy of mine. To be honest I have no idea how intelligent I am. I've got A's in all the medical modules I've done and pretty much get A's and B+'s across the board in my other BA modules. But I don't know if I'm 'Cambridge smart'.

Cambridge has no entrance exam, bizarrely, other than an optional BMAT to meet pre-medical requirements - but I've already met them. Basically all it is in an application form with questions of work experience, your reflection on it and long references from referees. From there they call you to interview. 2007 went 209 applied; 75 interviewed; 22 offered. 2009 was 183: 23.

Now to be honest all I have for work experience is (because its very difficult to get it in Ireland):

2 weeks in a hospital
2 and a half years as first aid officer of boxing club (working with a doctor)
numerous first aid courses
further first aid and operations with the army
about a quarter of my degree will be medicine

Before you suggest to do more stuff, I haven't got the time. And I haven't had the time to do any in a very long time.

Referees can be the head of the school of classics in my uni; and one of the boxing club's coaches or the doctor.

I really don't know how strong kmy application will be respective to others. I mean I might not even get into any university....and here I am talking of Cambridge. I'm also one of those people that hates losing and I'd prefer not to do this if there's a very small chance of me getting in. Secondly I do not want my parents to know about applying to Cambridge. Its bad enough they know I'm applying to medicine.....long story.

But for the Cambridge application form amongst other things I need my birth certificate...and I'll have to engineer some alibi to get it off my mother without telling her wat I'm doing....

Is it worth applying to Cambridge?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Apply to Cambridge? - August 1st 2010, 09:02 PM

Well the first thing that JUMPS into my head is that the cambridge course is quite different from the other courses you've applied to... so I'd reassess your reasons for applying. I contemplated it, my grades were good enough, UMS scores more than good enough, my practice BMAT exams were good enough, interviews have always been my strong point -- basically I do think had I applied to Cambridge I'd have been in with a shot... but I asked myself WHY I wanted to go there. Did I like the course, did I like the Uni, did I like the area? And really, I wanted to apply there because it was Cambridge which, for medicine, is quite a poor reason considering when you apply for FY1 and FY2 they don't even see what Uni you went to, and after foundation years it's your foundation school that matters, not your Uni.

For medicine, the reputation of your University makes jack all difference. It is the ranking in your year that makes the difference. I can't emphasise this enough, so please please please pick your University based on where you will be happy, the course that you'll enjoy the most and which suits you. Not the reputation. It makes zero difference. I know that it's difficult... I turned down the 3rd best medical school in the UK for one that is barely in the top 10. But I don't regret it (despite the suprised faces when they hear) because I know that course suits me, I like the city more, and I know I will be happiest there.

I do get the feeling that your motivation is very similar. You're applying to Penninsula and Nottingham as well! You clearly like the PBL style of learning. I can't imagine what it would be like to spend 4 years in such a traditional University when what you really enjoy is PBL. I know that the graduate programme at Cambridge is more intergrated than the undergraduate but it is a far far cry from the style of the other courses you have applied to.

But just a few facts about applying to Cambridge:
- You will almost certainly get an interview
- Almost everything rests on your interview, and as I'm sure you are aware they are notorious. Science questions beyond A Level standard, etc.
- It is actually less competitive than other medical schools with far fewer applicants per head. Overall it probably works out at roughly equal because the academic standard of the applicants is typically higher.
- They don't seem to care about work experience. I wouldn't say that your work experience is lacking though if I am going to be honest it is considerably less than I did and graduate entry tends to have a higher bar to meet. But as with everything it is how you talk about it in your personal statement and interview, how much you were able to learn from that work experience and how you portray that, rather that how much you actually did.
- I wouldn't know what to advise you about the BMAT, even though they say that it is option will not do it be a hindrance? ie, if they have your application vs. the application of someone who is equal but has a high BMAT score, will they take the second applicant? Perhaps this would be worth researching further.

But I don't see why not if you have good solid reasons for wanting to, you have only chosen 3 Unis and as you can apply for 4 it would be foolish to only apply to 3. It doesn't take more money or effort.

(RAH) + (AH) + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA) + OOH + (LA) = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

Last edited by her_beautiful_mistake; August 1st 2010 at 09:12 PM.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Apply to Cambridge? - August 1st 2010, 09:22 PM

Also, yes there is a very small chance of you getting in to any medical school. And a much higher chance at flat out rejections. That chance is no lower at Cambridge. One could argue that applying to 4 rather than 3 increases your chances. But hey, someone has got to get in right? And anything worth having requires a risk.

It's fine to have one.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Dedalus Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Apply to Cambridge? - August 1st 2010, 09:23 PM

1. I'd probably prefer Cambridge. The type of course doesn't really bother me. I have no particular preference. St. George's is close to where I live and I've been there and I can live with people I know...so thats why I'm doing the GAMSAT.

2. Cambridge will be my 4th uni on UCAS.

3. BMAT scores are not revealed to examiners.

4. Why do u think I'd almost definitely get an interview? 209 applied in '07 and 75 got interviewd - less than half.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Apply to Cambridge? - August 1st 2010, 09:26 PM

Ah you will find that you have a preference I was the same as you at one point.

You don't rank your Uni's any more, it's done alphabetically. And the Uni's don't see where else you've applied.

The BMAT scores WILL be revealed to the Uni? If it is 'optional' then they will get the grades of those who sat it - it will be sent automatically by the BMAT organisers. But thinking about it, if it is 'optional' I can't see that they could put you at a disadvantage for not taking it.

Where do you get those figures from? It is common knowledge that Cambridge interview over 90% of their medical applicants. Possibly I am thinking about undergrad entry.

EDIT: Also I think you need A Level Chemistry. As well as AS or A2 in two of physics, biology and maths.

It's fine to have one.

Last edited by her_beautiful_mistake; August 1st 2010 at 09:32 PM.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Dedalus Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Apply to Cambridge? - August 1st 2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by her_beautiful_mistake View Post
Ah you will find that you have a preference I was the same as you at one point.

You don't rank your Uni's any more, it's done alphabetically. And the Uni's don't see where else you've applied.

The BMAT scores WILL be revealed to the Uni? If it is 'optional' then they will get the grades of those who sat it - it will be sent automatically by the BMAT organisers. But thinking about it, if it is 'optional' I can't see that they could put you at a disadvantage for not taking it.

Where do you get those figures from? It is common knowledge that Cambridge interview over 90% of their medical applicants. Possibly I am thinking about undergrad entry.

EDIT: Also I think you need A Level Chemistry. As well as AS or A2 in two of physics, biology and maths.
Unlike you I've done the whole education thing. I'm in final year in university. I've been in the army. I've done courses for extra-curricular things. I'm notbothered about how the course is structured, because I can just settle into it.

I don't think you've read what I've written properly. BMAT is for pre-medical requirements. I wrote a long speel on how Cambridge have said I am elgible and meet the requirements.

I got those figures from a handbook I have on medicine. I gave them in my first post.

I simply said campbridge was the fourth uni on my UCAS, i.e. im applying to four. You thought it was 3, I don't know if I've mentioned St. George's in my other topic.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Apply to Cambridge? - August 1st 2010, 10:03 PM

Jeez I was only trying to help and give you other things to consider, no need for the attitude. Also, we are exactly the same age. I won't waste my time in the future.

Good luck in your application.

It's fine to have one.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Dedalus Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Apply to Cambridge? - August 1st 2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by her_beautiful_mistake View Post
Jeez I was only trying to help and give you other things to consider, no need for the attitude. Also, we are exactly the same age. I won't waste my time in the future.

Good luck in your application.

I'm not presenting an attitude, but you're telling me how I should feel and how I should think and sayign a lot of stuff that I already know and have already written about.

I mean, you're entering your first degree. I've been through one now. I've been in the army. I've done other things. And you're telling me about courses I'd like...I know what I'm doing and I do appreciate your enthusiasm and replies, but when they treat me in such a way and tell em things I've explained...its a little degrading for me.

Especially considering you didn't really consider whether my personal application stands much of a chance when you have bags more knowledge of the actual acceptance race and competition than I do.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Apply to Cambridge? - August 2nd 2010, 12:36 AM

OK, so in an attempt at being civil I will try again.

I never claimed to tell you what courses you will like, I have stated that there will be courses you prefer. I genuinely think this is true. I was suprised you wanted to apply to Cambridge whilst also applying to Nottingham and Penninsula as their courses are at completely opposite ends of the scale. How are you chosing your Universities? Are you not even looking at the course structure? It will make such a massive difference in terms of how you learn and how your University experience goes. I'm a very adaptable person and I'm sure with a bit of effort I could adapt to pretty much any learning style, but still when I made lots of lists of pros and cons and looked careful at the course structures I found there is a style of learning I prefer over any other. There are also other questions rather than just PBL vs. traditional -- do you want early clinical contact? How do you want to build up your knowledge? Etc etc.

Questions you seemed to ask..

- I am clever enough for Cambridge.
Yes, if you are getting a first in your current degree then you are clever enough for Cambridge. There are some complete genius' at Cambridge, but most people are relatively normal. Especially for medicine where they look for well-rounded individuals (do you have good communication skills, etc).

- Have I done enough work experience?
I already kind of answered that and I don't want to be rude here but in my opinion, no you haven't. It looks a lot when you list it but the medical aspects of your degree don't count as work experience (but you can defintley talk about this being a motivating factor for you applying to medicine), and 'first aid qualifications' cover two other points (you should not waste time listing of similar qualifications in your PS, the word count is too small). The first aid officer kind of overlaps with this but the length of the commitment will look very good. Then you have the other two weeks. Just to give you an idea, I did probably 6 times that amount, and possibly a bit more. And graduate entry has much higher standards. Work experience is also very, very difficult to get in the UK.. I just started very early (ie, setting things up a year in advance) and for several placements traveled 2 hours each way every day. But you said you don't have the time to do anymore, so you need to make the best of what you have. Whenever you have spare time start thinking about everything you learnt about yourself, the qualities you developed, everything you learnt about medicine during the work experience you have done. It is so much more about what you learnt than how much you've done. Just to give you an idea about how much you can talk about one thing, someone once asked me whether they should do some work experience with a receptionist in a GP surgery and what could they learn from that? This was just a few of the things I thought of off the top of my head: "you will prob get the chance to talk to Drs and see the how there are other services being offered at GP surgeries, so learn how primary care is becoming more important, you could try to find out why this is and what the advantage of primary care over secondary is. Find about all the different roles of health care professionals. Stresses/long working day of GP, what else they do besides seeing patients. Importance of receptionists, confidentiality, trust. Talk to GPs about benefits of being a GP, seeing patients grow up, range of their work, how they think a new government will change things, whether the support a charge for missed appointments (proposed by Tories)".

- How strong will my application be in relation to others?
I don't know anyone can know this because we don't know who else will be applying! I also know far more about *undergraduate medicine* than *graduate* but if I am going to be honest I think the lack of A Levels (did you not do the Irish qualification, are they called highers or something similar? Where you get a number as a grade), and lack of work experience may be a hindrance. But you will have a first, and if you can write a very good personal statement that would also be helpful. And as I said, with Cambridge so much of it depends on your interview. I don't know how you're expecting me to tell you whether your application stands much chance. All the points I've pointed out in this paragraph apply to ALL medical schools. You're seeing Cambridge as much harder to get into and far different and it really is not.

Chances of getting into undergraduate medicine are slim. Chances of getting into graduate medicine are even slimmer, with rough estimates of success rates being from 12% to 2% (these go up significantly if you get interviewed - 40% success rate at SGUL at interview) so when I said that your chances are slim I meant everyone's chances are slim, because it's just so competitive. Most people only get one offer so make sure you'd be happy to go to every single one of your Uni's.

Which brings me to the final question..

- Is it worth applying to Cambridge?
If you want to apply to Cambridge and you have actually studied the course structure and like the city and college system etc etc then yes. This decision is no different than the decision to apply to any other medical school.
If you do like it I'd say it's not a bad choice because they seem to put very little emphasis on work experience in comparison to other medical schools.

I really have no idea why you think that a TeenHelp forum is the best place to ask these questions when I've already linked you to a forum that has many, many experienced graduate-entry students far more ept to answer these questions. You'd be hard pushed to find anyone on here that is more aware of medical admissions than I am tbh.

Out of interest... why do you want to be a doctor?

It's fine to have one.

Last edited by her_beautiful_mistake; August 2nd 2010 at 02:00 AM.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Dedalus Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Apply to Cambridge? - August 2nd 2010, 10:02 AM

Thanks, and I will make my decision bases on what youve said here. Thanks for taking the time.

Just an aside to all your talk about courses and how Cambridge is traditional. GEM is not a traditional course. Its 4 years long.

Neither am I going to start saying why I want to be a doctor so you can take some unholy crusade for/against it. This isn't something thought up overnight, neither is it a lacl of exposure to anything. I really don't need you to be passing the seventh day's judgement on what I know are rational decisions supported by the head of my school and other doctors I know.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Apply to Cambridge? - August 2nd 2010, 12:06 PM

I know how long GEM is. And what the course is like at Cambridge. You are fully aware I know this so stop trying to be patronising.

And what the hell? Are you serious? I genuinely asked of curiosity. You seem absolutely incapable of not being rude. You probably should work on that.

It's fine to have one.

Last edited by her_beautiful_mistake; August 2nd 2010 at 06:13 PM.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Dedalus Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Apply to Cambridge? - August 2nd 2010, 02:03 PM

Your comprehension skills are quite appalling considering the point I was making that was no matter what I said you would be passing judgement on it as the right/wrong thing. I showed that twice in my last comment. I had already expressed my concern at your impetousness with regards to judging what course I'd like more and explaing things to me; I've told you I know all these things. I don't need to go to basics in a topic in which I'm specifically asking for advice on whether to apply to Cambridge, but heaven forbid, if I don't want to discuss why I want to be a doctor it must be for reasons to be ashamed of and not through confidence in them and the topic being completely irrelevant to that at hand.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: Apply to Cambridge? - August 2nd 2010, 03:35 PM

Generally the advice I hear is to apply for one "dream" college, another one that is more realistic but you would like to go to, one that is slightly easier than #2 but you still think you wouldn't mind, and one that is easy and backup if no one else would take you.

Do they have a "snapshot" of their previous class's info somewhere online? A lot of colleges in the USA do that so people can get a feel about whether or not they would qualify.

I still say go for it, but still find other colleges you would like to attend.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Dedalus Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Apply to Cambridge? - August 3rd 2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisplacedDreamer View Post
Generally the advice I hear is to apply for one "dream" college, another one that is more realistic but you would like to go to, one that is slightly easier than #2 but you still think you wouldn't mind, and one that is easy and backup if no one else would take you.

Do they have a "snapshot" of their previous class's info somewhere online? A lot of colleges in the USA do that so people can get a feel about whether or not they would qualify.

I still say go for it, but still find other colleges you would like to attend.
I'll be applying to 8 universities if I do apply to Cambridge.

I looked for this "snapshot", but I couldn't find it.

Thanks for the advice.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Re: Apply to Cambridge? - August 4th 2010, 11:05 AM

I'm just curious, what other Uni's are you applying to?
My brother is doing Post Grad Medicine in Warwick Uni.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Dedalus Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Apply to Cambridge? - August 4th 2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leikela View Post
I'm just curious, what other Uni's are you applying to?
My brother is doing Post Grad Medicine in Warwick Uni.
All the Irish ones (not UCAS), St. George's, Nottingham and Peninsula.

Closed Thread