TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Alvin719 Offline
Not a n00b

"Sophie's World" I need Help with Philosophy Questions - August 9th 2010, 02:32 PM

I came across a few questions that I didn't understand based on the book "Sophie's World", can anyone help me?

4. The existence of God is perhaps the most profound issue philosophers must address. Descartes believed that the concept of a perfect entity could only have originated from such an entity, rather than an imperfect entity such as a human being. This is how he arrives at proving the existence of God. We learn in Sophie's lesson on Descartes that this leap is considered the weak spot in Descartes' philosophy. Do you agree or disagree with this evaluation.

5. Was Marx a Marxist? Was Jesus a Christian. More to the point, do you believe that ideologies are widely adapted they somehow become perverted? If so, why?

8. It should come as no surprise that existentialism gained popularity after the horrors of WWII. What are your thoughts on existentialism? Is it a cop-out of sorts or is it a realistic articulation of the modern human condition?

Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED

Last edited by Alvin719; August 9th 2010 at 06:42 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Dedalus Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Joe

August 9th 2010, 03:13 PM

4. Is basically pointing that we believe in God, but only a perfect entity can create God and we are imperfect, so something else would have had to create God meaning where did this other perfect entity come from? Its a fallacy in his logic.

5. Basically thats saying woulf Marx agree that Communism is his set of ideologies, and the same for Jesus. The easiest answer is no...and to giove various examples.

6. This is basically arguing free will...its your opinion. If you don't know what opinion to form speak about determinism, societal factors influencing decisions and this new wave of thought that genetics is responsible for a person (e.g. a homosexual, a violent person, &c.).

DISCLAIMER: I am not a philosophy major. I am just someone who has read widely across these things.

In response to your PM:

5. The Communism of Soviet Russia and that of China, for example, claimed to follow Marx's principles of communism, but in reality they didn't. Communism had a hierarchy and a leader and some people were more wealthy than others - all of this was contrary to Marx's ideals of communism. So it didn't really follow Marx's ideals.

Jesus preached equality, pacifism and tolerance - I'm sure you can use any number of examples to show that the Christian Churches have not followed these.

In short they have all been perverted, and you can argue that human ambition, greed and desire to do better are the reason why these ideals were perverted.

8. Existentialism is the belief that people have full control over themselves. Determination is the belief that everything in life has been pre-determined. You can argue the things I suggested...I really can't answer this questiong for you and there's no way you can get it wrong. There's a school of thought, I forget its name, by David Hume (wiki him) that reaches a compromise between free will and determinism.

Basically the question is asking do you believe in free will or is everthing in life pre-determined?

I can't really spell it out anymore and I can't answer these questions for you. Use wikipedia to look up stuff you don't understand. What I've described is the most basic stuff and you'd want to know what these words mean if you're studying 'Sophie's World'.

Last edited by .Brittany.; August 9th 2010 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Merging your two posts =)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Alvin719 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: "Sophie's World" I need Help with Philosophy Questions - August 9th 2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
In response to your PM:

5. The Communism of Soviet Russia and that of China, for example, claimed to follow Marx's principles of communism, but in reality they didn't. Communism had a hierarchy and a leader and some people were more wealthy than others - all of this was contrary to Marx's ideals of communism. So it didn't really follow Marx's ideals.

Jesus preached equality, pacifism and tolerance - I'm sure you can use any number of examples to show that the Christian Churches have not followed these.

In short they have all been perverted, and you can argue that human ambition, greed and desire to do better are the reason why these ideals were perverted.

8. Existentialism is the belief that people have full control over themselves. Determination is the belief that everything in life has been pre-determined. You can argue the things I suggested...I really can't answer this questiong for you and there's no way you can get it wrong. There's a school of thought, I forget its name, by David Hume (wiki him) that reaches a compromise between free will and determinism.

Basically the question is asking do you believe in free will or is everthing in life pre-determined?

I can't really spell it out anymore and I can't answer these questions for you. Use wikipedia to look up stuff you don't understand. What I've described is the most basic stuff and you'd want to know what these words mean if you're studying 'Sophie's World'.
Okay, thank you very much for the help :]

Closed Thread