TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TheWhiteTornado Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Jack

Important Topics in World History? - August 10th 2010, 03:52 AM

So I was recently going through the thread about what other countries think of the US and I had to accept that I also fell into the stereotype of not knowing much about foreign countries. As much as I'd love to educate myself of the entire history of foreign countries, it's kind of an unlikely goal. I was hoping some people outside of the US could help me out and point out some of the important topics of their nation's/culture's history so I could look it up and become not so ignorant, haha.

"What do we live for, if not to make life less difficult for each other?"
-George Eliot

"Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it."
-Groucho Marx

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid that it will never begin."
-Grace Hansen

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Dedalus Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Joe

Re: Important Topics in World History? - August 10th 2010, 10:41 AM

As much as I do think Americans are ignorant of the rest of the world, it must be appreciated that their own nation is the size of a continent and encompasses such a broad sweep of land that to understand their own nation they must neglect the rest of the world.

Anyway, to pretty much appreciate every other nations history you would do well to study the causes of the first world war and the repercussions of it. Not only will it lead you into the modern history of the European nations (such as Ireland, the UK, Spain,), you will find yourself learning about the Balkans, Asia Minor and the Middle East as well as Africa.

The best place to start is T.E. Lawrence's The Seven Pillars of Wisdom

(#3 (permalink)) Old
TheWhiteTornado Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Important Topics in World History? - August 11th 2010, 08:48 AM

Alright, thanks for the input!

-George Eliot

"Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it."
-Groucho Marx

-Grace Hansen

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Important Topics in World History? - August 12th 2010, 03:01 AM

I think you missed the point. He wants you to summarize key points on the history of your family if I am correct? If that is I could gladly give you some key points from México but around what era do you want them?

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Dedalus Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Joe

Re: Important Topics in World History? - August 12th 2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexico View Post
I think you missed the point. He wants you to summarize key points on the history of your family if I am correct? If that is I could gladly give you some key points from México but around what era do you want them?
I think you missed my point. Studying the first world war pretty much encompasses the modern history of the civilised world - the Arab issue in the Middle East and the rise of the Young Turks in the Ottoman Empire who replaaced the established hierarchy. - That pretty much covers the Middle East history from the 1500's and then the results from it post ww1 will cover up until present.

The search for Irish independence and achievement of it is directly due to ww1.

The effect of industrialisation in Mritain and how society was structured pre-war compared to post-war is perhaps the biggest issue. The same with France and Germany.

The war reached into Africa and all the European colonies there, how they were gained and the sphere's of influence agreement that had been made under Bismarck.

The first world war marked the end of Britain as the leading power in the world and the gradual decline of her empire. The search for soverignty across the commonwealth and colonies was all -resent pre-war but only listened to post war.

Essentially, what I am saying is that reading around the Great War will give the person who made this topic a fantastic view of modern history and the nations. Which is why I am saying start with The Seven Pillars of Wisdom which has a combination of Arab, English and English colonial history in it.

I am Anglo-Irish-French, to even give the major things in our history for just one of my countries would take me days to write out and it only depends on who's giving it. Reading is the gateway to knowledge - you see the world through the eyes of another person and gain their experiences.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Important Topics in World History? - August 13th 2010, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
I think you missed my point. Studying the first world war pretty much encompasses the modern history of the civilised world - the Arab issue in the Middle East and the rise of the Young Turks in the Ottoman Empire who replaaced the established hierarchy. - That pretty much covers the Middle East history from the 1500's and then the results from it post ww1 will cover up until present.

The search for Irish independence and achievement of it is directly due to ww1.

The effect of industrialisation in Mritain and how society was structured pre-war compared to post-war is perhaps the biggest issue. The same with France and Germany.

The war reached into Africa and all the European colonies there, how they were gained and the sphere's of influence agreement that had been made under Bismarck.

The first world war marked the end of Britain as the leading power in the world and the gradual decline of her empire. The search for soverignty across the commonwealth and colonies was all -resent pre-war but only listened to post war.

Essentially, what I am saying is that reading around the Great War will give the person who made this topic a fantastic view of modern history and the nations. Which is why I am saying start with The Seven Pillars of Wisdom which has a combination of Arab, English and English colonial history in it.

I am Anglo-Irish-French, to even give the major things in our history for just one of my countries would take me days to write out and it only depends on who's giving it. Reading is the gateway to knowledge - you see the world through the eyes of another person and gain their experiences.
I still don't think I missed the point, he said he wanted key points in the history of your nation if I was answering this I would start off by pointing out the dates the Spanish came and the war dates of my country I do understand that it takes more to understand all the history of the entire world but you taken you are from Ireland can point out key points such as the important flight, Independence Day etc.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
TheWhiteTornado Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Important Topics in World History? - August 13th 2010, 09:28 PM

Oh I'm just trying to be as broad as possible, though I was looking more for like whatever information you think is important about your ethnicity, country, nation, whatever. I'm trying to broaden my education like on a more worldwide scale so I'm good with just about any information on anything you think is important.

-George Eliot

-Groucho Marx

-Grace Hansen

(#8 (permalink)) Old
SonicFan Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Important Topics in World History? - August 13th 2010, 09:33 PM

The best place to start is with the two world wars (some scholars have said that WWI and WWII was a European Civil War)

England has a long history, from colonial rule - India and Pakistan became independent on 15th August 1947 so that anniversary is approaching.

I'm not much of a person to act sinec I'm more interested in military historry

Closed Thread