TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

I thought I knew.. - August 12th 2010, 03:17 PM

So I thought I knew what I wanted to do for a career, and now I'm completely lost again. A lot of people say "oh it's okay to not know what you want to do," but it's really not okay. I'm paying to go to college in hopes to point myself towards a career, so it is a big deal if I don't know what I want to do, because then I'm just wasting money.

So basically, I'm really lost, and I don't know what to do

(#2 (permalink)) Old
phoenixsrmc Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Lily

Re: I thought I knew.. - August 12th 2010, 03:30 PM

Hey Myss,

Don't even worry about it. A lot of freshmen come into college as an "Undecided" major. I had the same feelings about college (wasting money if I don't know what to do). But the truth is, I was sure I was going to major in something, but I ended up changing my major midway through college.

My best advice I can give you is to go to a college where you have plenty of options so you can declare your major in time during your Junior(3rd) year.

there's also plenty of graduates who don't end up doing what they intentionally majored in and they're living plentiful and happy lives. And I had a friend who didn't have any idea of what he wanted to do after he graduated. Another friend of mine graduated with an accounting degree but went out to Cali to become an actor! (he does accounting on the side to temporarily pay for bills and what not though haha)

I think it's a great idea to have a generalization on what you want to do, but there's no need to stress about it I'm sure you'll do great in anything you chose to do

Best of luck!

You can lose yourself. Everything. All boundaries. All time.

And just when the sweet confusion is so intense you think you're gonna die... you kind of do.

Leaving you alone in your separate body, but the one you love is still there.

That's a miracle.

You can go to heaven and come back alive. You can go back anytime you want with the one you love.

.Lily.
former HelpLink Mentor.
email me anytime <3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: I thought I knew.. - August 12th 2010, 04:26 PM

I'm not a freshman though. I'm starting my second year of college in 3 weeks. I've already got a lot of my core classes done.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
phoenixsrmc Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Lily

Re: I thought I knew.. - August 12th 2010, 06:03 PM

Does your college have career counselors that can help you find a path to go on? I've been to mine and they helped me clarify what I wanted to do and what major best suits my interests.

And there's also loads of sites that give questionnaire tests to give you a general idea on a possible career.

http://www.careertest.net/
http://www.livecareer.com/

You can lose yourself. Everything. All boundaries. All time.

And just when the sweet confusion is so intense you think you're gonna die... you kind of do.

Leaving you alone in your separate body, but the one you love is still there.

That's a miracle.

You can go to heaven and come back alive. You can go back anytime you want with the one you love.

.Lily.
former HelpLink Mentor.
email me anytime <3

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Nova Offline
I've developed a TH addiction.
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I thought I knew.. - August 14th 2010, 05:52 AM

I had an undeclared major going into my second year of college too. It worried me a bit, but I took the opportunity to take classes to explore my interests. I dabbled in philosophy, psychology, and advertising but nothing really struck me as "YES! This is what I want to do for the rest of my life!"

Just start taking some classes you think you might be interested in. I know you don't want to waste your money, but it can really help you figure out what you like and what you don't.

Another (more affordable?) option would be to join or attend some meetings for academic organizations. I went to (and ended up joining) an organization of Journalism majors (which I was not) who were also designers on a whim. My friend received an e-mail about the group and suggest I might find it interesting. From there, the most random of places, I discovered I could make a career out of something I'd always loved to do: web design & development.

So ponder a bit. Is there something you love to do? Try to brainstorm creative ways in which you can make a career out of it. And in the mean time, relax. You'll be fine. Everyone goes through this crisis at one point or another. And many of us go through it while we're in college.

Good luck!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
callmesunny Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alanna

Re: I thought I knew.. - August 14th 2010, 11:06 AM

yeah, its really hard...
i've heard people change their majors a lot, and i'm not in college yet but my advice is if you aren't sure, talk to people you can trust, and do some research and see what you want to be.
something i'm keeping in mind with career choices is doing what makes me happy, not necessarily which brings in more money, wouldn't you rather do something you absolutely love doing and make minimum wage than doing something you despise with all of your heart and make billions?

Closed Thread