TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

A-Level results - August 14th 2010, 05:26 PM

Anyone else expecting results next thursday for A2s?
I'm actually dreading it, like nightmares every night dreading it And I still havent decided if I want to go to uni

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: A-Level results - August 14th 2010, 06:33 PM

I hate this thread, hate it, hate it, hate it!

My boyfriend decided to be lovely and remind me it is results day on Thursday and I actually started crying.

I am super stressed. I really doubt I have got the grades for Uni, I have a place in college for resits as a back up but I really want to get in this year.
My firm choice Uni wants a specific amount of points which I think I am going to dip on by about 10/20 because of my maths grade, if they accept the ASDAN course I did which is worth 70 points then I will have enough points but they don't know if they can accept it until results day and they see what grades everyone else got and how many places they have filled.

All of my friends right now got really low offers and basically already had the grades from other modules and don't have to worry. I am really unsure. I am going to post my predictions for my grades here now to look back on Thursday...

Biology - B/C (I am really hoping for the B but I only need a C for Uni which I feel like I have got.)
Religious Studies - C (one exam went really badly but I hope the others will make up for it)
Maths - E (maybe a D if I am lucky, if it is a D it will be by 1 or 2 marks)

To get into Uni I need 240 points and 80 of them have to be in Biology. They said ideally they want CCC but would accept CCD so I am hoping they will take BCE if the B is in Bio.

WHY WHY WHY DID I PICK A LEVEL MATHS....?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: A-Level results - August 14th 2010, 06:51 PM

I'm not expecting A2's but I'll get my AS's. I'm panicking ever so slightly because I'm worried that if I have to do any resits then it'll mess up my next exams. And I can almost certainly say I'll have to resit Maths, that was a bad exam.

I'm hoping I have at least a C in the Biology one because then I'm hoping that if it's a high C the practical work and the first exam will bring it up to a B.
A C in Chemistry I'll be fine with and I think I might have done alright on that.
I'd love to have an A in Psychology just to shove it in my teacher's face since I ended up teaching myself anything but I don't think I did that well so I'm hoping for a C.
And Maths, well, anything that's not a U will be fine.

And Rach, I know what you mean about Maths, I'm dropping it once we've done the AS unit, we still have Core 2 to do since we were being slow.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

Re: A-Level results - August 14th 2010, 06:56 PM

Sorry if it upset you Sorrysorrysorry!

Thinking about it makes me cry too. My university wants 320 points!!! Seriously! It's awful. It's not going to happen.
They messed up the art grades last year giving me a C instead of an A, so that drags my final art score down - So I cannot get an A. The english, I aimed for A* but hope for an A, and the Biology....well....I'll be lucky if I've passed.

That leaves me, if I get a B overall in art, with 220 points. I used to be a straight A student. The biology paper was a massacre.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Re: A-Level results - August 14th 2010, 07:11 PM

I have been waiting for this thread to appear at some point...
I used to be straight As and Bs too but my A levels have just went down hill.

My school really let me down in maths, the teacher was terrible when he actually turned up. He is married to the head of maths in our school so whenever we complained nothing got done and if anything see just refused to talk to us for weeks, and it wasn't confidential because she would tell him and then he would be pissed off too.

I tried my best with what I had and if I get a grade in Maths I will be shocked and slightly pleased. I will get to Uni next year if I don't this year, I am determined to do this and I will get there eventually.

What exam board are you on for Biology? I did AQA.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

Re: A-Level results - August 14th 2010, 07:24 PM

Oh we had OCR. You learn the syllabus then they ask you questions that confuse you completely.
Like you learn about hormones, right? And which ones do what?
E.g question: Pregnancy tests detect the pregnancy hormones in the urine and changes colour. Explain how they work.

O_o Not a clue. I could tell you why the hormones ar there and what they do, but as to why the test changes colour...I have no idea.

Then we had to identify photos of butterflies using a dichotomous key. Insulting to my intelligence but the rest of the questions were totally bonkers.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Re: A-Level results - August 14th 2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-am-not-a-robot View Post
Oh we had OCR. You learn the syllabus then they ask you questions that confuse you completely.
E.g question: Pregnancy tests detect the pregnancy hormones in the urine and changes colour. Explain how they work.

O_o Not a clue. I could tell you why the hormones ar there and what they do, but as to why the test changes colour...I have no idea.

Then we had to identify photos of butterflies using a dichotomous key. Insulting to my intelligence but the rest of the questions were totally bonkers.
We had the butterflies thing in our exam paper too. What was funny is after the exam everyone complained that we hadn't learnt about them and I was just like...duuude, common sense much.

And yeah, I'm on OCR too and I see what you mean about what they say in the syllabus and what they ask on the exam.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Re: A-Level results - August 14th 2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:

The AQA January paper was the one with the shrews. It made the news because of the facebook page made about it. Our June ones weren't too bad, there was only about 1 odd question.
Our coursework was annoying, we had pond weed in a test tube of water and then shone a light on it at different distances and counted the bubbles made. So we spent about 2 hours staring at a test tube looking for bubbles. At first it was annoying because there was like 2 bubbles, then by the end it was a fast line of bubbles which where impossible to count...

(#9 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Re: A-Level results - August 14th 2010, 08:44 PM

I feel bad for you guys, I got my results 2 weeks ago, though I was crying a lot the night before over my advanced English.
Good luck everyone!!

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: A-Level results - August 14th 2010, 09:17 PM

Yeah this thread makes my heart ache a little bit

I know what you mean about A Level maths. DROP A LEVEL MATHS IF YOU CAN. THE SECOND YEAR IS SOOOO MUCH HARDER. I kind of sailed through first year and then got to the second year and was like... "oh shite" I am fairly confident of getting a B in maths as due to my previous scores in modules I need an E in both Core 3 and Core 4 to get a B, but a middle B in both Core 3 and Core 4 to get an A. So I did push quite a lot just to tip it over into the A, because I found it very challenging though I'm definitely not confident that I achieved it.

It would be nice but I just keep reminding myself that I do not need an A in maths.

I need "AAB to include chemistry" to meet my first choice and I have done biology, chemistry, maths and english literature to A2 so have a bit of room if I drop in one (English is alllllways very hit and miss and I made quite a big mistake in this exam, but it might not make that much difference, you never know!). I also did the extended project qualification which is an AS level and I'm waiting for my grade in that too (though my teacher gave me a hint that it would be a grade I'd be happy with).

I would be lying if I said part of me isn't really hoping to get AAAA just because it would be an achievement, but I'm no where near as obsessive as I used to be lol! Ultimately as long as I meet my offer that is all that matters. I can't say I'm definitely confident about meeting it but I am feeling optimistic.

People going into your A2 year you have to work harder in A2 I think. I worked a lot harder this summer than I did last summer but did not feel anywhere near as confident and my exams did not go as well.

People going into your AS year WORK BLOODY HARD. I think AS year is almost more important than your A2 year as
a) You're setting the foundations in terms of your knowledge but also your organisation, revision techniques etc
b) If you get good module scores you'll have given yourself a lot of leway in your second year modules. I did disastrously in my biology practicals this year but because I had high module scores it didn't matter at all (except that it makes it impossible to get an A* but I think my biology teacher was the only one that was bothered! "You get A* or I kill you".... I'll be avoiding him ). It just gives you more confidence, like I need E's in maths to get a B etc.

Looking back I'd have worked has hard as I worked this summer last year, and skipped A LOT MORE COLLEGE towards the end, like the last week, because it turns out that close to study leave I can do more by myself than in class. Lots more!

Anyway I'm quite excited for it all to be over, as well as nervous.

I'm just trying not to think about it.

OH OH does anyone know whether it's true that UCAS track will update later this year?

Sorry for the essay!

(RAH) + (AH) + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA) + OOH + (LA) = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: A-Level results - August 14th 2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:

I did A2 OCR biology this year and I can't remember questions about pregnancy tests in the exam! BUT I definitely did learn about it from the textbook, possibly was last module not this module but there was a small section on it, and there were some questions in the book. I learnt after January to do every possible question in the textbook after the freaking seal question (which was also at the bottom of the page in the book!).

But yup the stretch and challenge questions were a bitch! Grade boundaries should be really low though!

It's fine to have one.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Re: A-Level results - August 14th 2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by her_beautiful_mistake View Post
People going into your AS year WORK BLOODY HARD. I think AS year is almost more important than your A2 year.
I so agree with this. The first modules in January I was fine and then I relaxed for the summer ones which was a big mistake. I had to do so many resits in the second year which put more pressure on me which I could have done without. I think if I hadn't had to resit so many AS exams then I could have focused on A2 a lot more and wouldn't have been as stressed.

I really wish someone had told me this before I start AS...

(#13 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

Re: A-Level results - August 14th 2010, 10:18 PM

I resat a lot of my AS's along with sitting my A2s as I wanted all As. Didn't happen.
I totally stressed over the exams though - I pulled my hair out in my sleep and clawed my skin - my doc made me wear mittens and a hat to sleep in. And I spent like, all year studying.

But the butterfly question was ridiculous. 'Does it have green wings?" "Yes" ''It's a green winged butterfly!"

Whoooo! I'm so scared about it I'm almost excited...d'ya get what I mean?

(#14 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: A-Level results - August 15th 2010, 01:15 PM

4 days!!!!

It's fine to have one.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Re: A-Level results - August 15th 2010, 01:17 PM

The Universities got our results today, they are now starting to go through them and assign places. I feel so ill...

(#16 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

Re: A-Level results - August 15th 2010, 04:36 PM

Oh god. 320 points. 320 points. C'moooonnnn!!!

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Re: A-Level results - August 15th 2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Oh god. 320 points. 320 points. C'moooonnnn!!!
Have you decided if you are going to go to Uni yet?

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Perplexity Offline
Per sempre <3
I've been here a while

Name: Shaz

Re: A-Level results - August 15th 2010, 04:45 PM

I'm starting my AS levels in September, but I just wanted to say good luck to you all. I can't imagine how nervous you all must be. I hope you all get the results you deserve.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

Re: A-Level results - August 15th 2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leikela View Post

Have you decided if you are going to go to Uni yet?
Pfft no. I don't seem to have much choice. My parents have made it very clear how important they consider it, and that I will be disappointing them and the collective family if I choose not to. My dad even insinuated that I should look for somewhere to live if I don't go.
They all seem quite adamant that I will go, so they simply tell me not to be daft when I say I'm not sure, and leave it at that.
Nice to have such an understanding family :/

(#20 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: A-Level results - August 15th 2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:

Pfft no. I don't seem to have much choice. My parents have made it very clear how important they consider it, and that I will be disappointing them and the collective family if I choose not to. My dad even insinuated that I should look for somewhere to live if I don't go.
They all seem quite adamant that I will go, so they simply tell me not to be daft when I say I'm not sure, and leave it at that.
Nice to have such an understanding family :/

What would you want to do? Do you have a place for Uni?
Lots of my friends parents are like that.. I just don't think there is any point going to Uni if you're not sure the degree is what you want to do or if you'd rather enter the job market now and spend those 3 years getting experience and stuff.. people often seem to forget that you don't have to go to Uni, and there are plenty of things you can do without it.
One of my friends got into 2 Uni's and his parents refused to financially support him at all unless he went to the one they wanted him to go to to do the course they wanted...

What grades = what UCAS points?
Sorry to sound dumb I just don't know for A2, I know A at AS = 60.. so does A at A2 = 120? my Uni offers were all done with grades.
If they give an offer in UCAS points does it matter what your actual grades are or just that you manage to meet those points?

It's fine to have one.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Re: A-Level results - August 15th 2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:

Sorry to sound dumb I just don't know for A2, I know A at AS = 60.. so does A at A2 = 120? my Uni offers were all done with grades.
If they give an offer in UCAS points does it matter what your actual grades are or just that you manage to meet those points?
Here are the tariff tables http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/ucas_.../tarifftables/

My offer is 240 points but I have to get at least 80 in Biology which is a C. They said on the interview day they are looking for CCC but as long as I get the points and the C in biology then they will let me on.
They have also said they will 220 points before going to clearing because they would rather have someone they have interviewed and has done the work experience who they liked than take someone on clearing who they don't know.

My insurance want CCD with one of those C's in Bio, they want grades not points.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: A-Level results - August 16th 2010, 04:59 PM

3 days!!!!

It's fine to have one.

(#23 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: A-Level results - August 16th 2010, 05:08 PM

Good luck guys. i'll have my fingers crossed for all of you. x

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#24 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: A-Level results - August 16th 2010, 05:10 PM

I'm going to count down each day, just FYI

It's fine to have one.

(#25 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

Re: A-Level results - August 17th 2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:

It's basically double what they're worth at AS so my offer of 320 is ABB but they'd prefer AAB. I aimed for A* in english and they published the other day that the grade wont mean anything this year because it's too new. God.

At the moment I'm kinda at a loss with what to do. Having a rough week, I think this is just the icing on the cake.

Ah well. 2 days.

(#26 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: A-Level results - August 17th 2010, 04:12 PM

what time do you all you guys have to wait for your results because i know my old college puts all results on the portal at midnight.. but it seems like a lot of people won't know until the morning. :/

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#27 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Re: A-Level results - August 17th 2010, 04:29 PM

We have to go in and get them from 9am onwards...I'll probably stay up all night and fetch them before I go home and sleep, haha.

(#28 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Re: A-Level results - August 17th 2010, 05:19 PM

I don't get mine till 11am.
I woke up today and it suddenly hit me that results are on thursday...!!
Just trying to keep myself busy up until then so I don't have to think about it!!
Even if I don't get the grades i need for uni, i won't be too heartbroken if i miss the offer by 1 grade (need BBC but if I get BCC, won't bother retaking, will just gain some experience over the next few months to make my application stronger and reapply in january)

argghhh, this time tommorow night is going to be horrible. :|

(#29 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Bertie

Re: A-Level results - August 17th 2010, 08:04 PM

Good luck to all you guys, I resat my last year and got my results and placement in March so Im glad im not in the situation of just waiting for them to come out, Ive been through that and it was traumatic. To cut a long story short, Good Luck you guys

Also dont forget guys you can check if you got in before you get the results on UCAS, many of my friends did that last year as they come out before the actual results

(#30 (permalink)) Old
Broken one Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Sian

Re: A-Level results - August 17th 2010, 08:53 PM

I'm dreading it, I get my AS results and I know I've completely failed chemistry, hope I havn't done too bad in biology and english, no idea about my spanish though x.x

(#31 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Re: A-Level results - August 17th 2010, 10:04 PM

Track is locked all night and then goes live "mid morning" so I can find out if I am in there and then (if it has updated, some peoples doesn't update until the next day or even until the Uni has made their decision)

My school opens for results at 11am.

(#32 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: A-Level results - August 17th 2010, 10:07 PM

What the hell does "Mid morning" mean that could be anywhere between 8am and 11am, it's so annoying that they change it this year gah... I really wanted to know before I get my results!

I can get mine from 10am I think. But I will be there at 9am ish as I need to return my library books and pay my fine got an invoice last week hahaaa but if I return them on Thursday all should be well. Also I organised the leavers hoodies for my year and so I have to cart them all into college and write the name of each person on each bag and stick them somewhere to be collected (although I will be hunting down the person that still owes me 9!).

And shit. Its kind of soon now. :|

It's fine to have one.

(#33 (permalink)) Old
Nomophobia Offline
Music is my escape
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Muse

Re: A-Level results - August 17th 2010, 10:14 PM

OMG!! I'm so so stressed about this! Can't believe I didnt spot this thread before now! I'm gonna be a complete wreck tomorrow night! I have no idea how I'm going to do, but there is so much riding on this!
I can get mine from 9 am...so I will be there bang on 9!

"Friends are like stars; you don't always see them but you know they are always there"

"It gives me hope. I love you so much. You give me a reason to breathe. Its something for me to not kill myself for" >>> means so much :')

Paramore! <3
Pm me anytime, I like to help!
  Send a message via MSN to Nomophobia  
  (#34 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Re: A-Level results - August 17th 2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
What the hell does "Mid morning" mean that could be anywhere between 8am and 11am, it's so annoying that they change it this year gah... I really wanted to know before I get my results!

Apparently they aim for 8am but it can be as early as 6am.
From what I have heard, it updates in the morning then it freezes again until lunch time, you can log on now but it won't update. This is to stop people sitting there refreshing the pages, so if it hasn't updated in the morning it won't until later when it is unfroze.

I really don't like this new system...

I went to see Hairspray in the Theatre with my Mum tonight, it was a great show and was a distraction for me

I have no plans for tomorrow, I was going out but plans fell through. I am going swimming in the morning and I might just stay there and swim all day
If not I am going to drag my Mum out shopping

I need distracting...

(#35 (permalink)) Old
Nomophobia Offline
Music is my escape
Senior TeenHelper

Re: A-Level results - August 17th 2010, 10:35 PM

yeah i know what you mean! I'm going out to see an open air show of pride and prejudice tomorrow night, but I really dont think i will be able to concentrate on it!

"Friends are like stars; you don't always see them but you know they are always there"

"It gives me hope. I love you so much. You give me a reason to breathe. Its something for me to not kill myself for" >>> means so much :')

Paramore! <3
  (#36 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: A-Level results - August 17th 2010, 10:37 PM

Well I have a hospital appointment tomorrow which is basically checking some moles that my GP has "considerable concern" about, so yeah I've got a good distraction from results but I'm not sure if it's really a good thing!!

Open air pride and prej.. what's the theatre company? sounds like lots of fun. If it's the theatre company I'm thinking of (do they also do much ado about nothing?) my friend v. nearly played lydia! I love P+P I want to come, what a great distraction!

It's fine to have one.

(#37 (permalink)) Old
Nomophobia Offline
Music is my escape
Senior TeenHelper

Re: A-Level results - August 17th 2010, 10:44 PM

the company is called chapter house theatre company...u know it?! They have done much ado about nothing. you should come, you be amazing to meet someone off forum haha!!

Paramore! <3
  (#38 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: A-Level results - August 17th 2010, 10:46 PM

Yeah, my friend was head hunted for the role but the tour would have meant missing her a level exams (how ironic) so she couldn't audition, which is pretty gutting for her!

Wales is a tad far though

It's fine to have one.

(#39 (permalink)) Old
Nomophobia Offline
Music is my escape
Senior TeenHelper

Re: A-Level results - August 17th 2010, 10:52 PM

awh no! Lol! where are you from?

Paramore! <3
  (#40 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: A-Level results - August 17th 2010, 10:55 PM

Midlands Nottingham-ish

It's fine to have one.

Closed Thread