TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Killionaire Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

AWFUL First Day. (Senior) - September 3rd 2010, 12:51 AM

I'm a High School Senior. I don't want to get into another discussion, but I'm shocked I haven't offed myself. I have a problem.

My schedule is awful. Every single person I know has multiple free periods, but I'm currently taking 6-7 classes. This is way too much for me. Even the "joke" classes are bad, because there isn't a SINGLE person to talk to or to work with. I'm not anti-social, it's just that the people in two classes happen to be very popular and noisy compared to me. This may jeopardize group-related assignments, lowering grades. To add, I don't really have anyone to talk to in ANY of my classes, which is odd, considering I have a reasonably normal amount of friends.

My weakest subject, Math (Algebra 2), will be awful this year. Already we were given a Review sheet that had things on it from Algebra 1, and I didn't understand a single thing. We were also repeatedly told that this will be a "hard year". I barely (literally. BARELY) made it past Junior year. I have a lot of anxiety issues, and I become very unstable when my daily routine is changed, so it would be hard to go to extra help.

Also, last year, I was "tricked" into taking an extra, unnecessary English elective, which is making the workload even more. The thing is, I want to drop two un-needed "joke" classes, but I'm 100% sure my Guidance Counselor won't do it for me, since I wasn't able to drop out of a class I didn't sign up for last year.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Apollo Offline
LiveStrong™
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Apollo

Re: AWFUL First Day. (Senior) - September 3rd 2010, 01:24 AM

Hi.

Most people get free periods because they don't need many more credits for the year/semester. You aren't going to get them if you need to take the classes. And taking extra classes isn't a bad thing, actually. Rather be too many (and really, there is no such thing as "too many high school credits") than not enough.

If there is nobody you really talk to, you could always try and make new friends. I know you said they are more popular and all, but still. And if you have to do a group project and others don't do their share or the work, talk to the teacher about it. And you don't even know if that will happen, so try and think positive. You're being a bit pessimistic. Oh, and sometimes teachers will let you do projects on your own, I do them by myself all the time, because I get things done very fast and all. And I don't want the dumb disputes you get in over control-issues.

Moving forward. About your math issue, try talking to the teacher and try and explain that you struggled through your junior year and you would like some extra help. Most teachers will let you stay in after school to receive help. Other than that, I strongly advise that you study as much as you can, and stay in good communication with your teachers. This is important.

As for the English elective, if you really don't want to take it, as your counselor about the possibility of dropping that class. I know you said you're sure she won't, but you can at least try. If that doesn't work, try having a parent/guardian call the school with that inquiry.

In the meantime, try and stick with it. Your senior year should be really fun, so try and not let a crappy schedule ruin your last year of high school.

-Apollo

Always feel free to contact me.
<3 |.YOU ARE LOVED.| <3

.TOMORROW IS A NEW DAY.

You may think the world is better off without you...
The truth:
The world isn't
good enough without you.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Killionaire Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: AWFUL First Day. (Senior) - September 3rd 2010, 01:37 AM

Well, my main problem in math stems from being stressed out and confused when seeing too many numbers/letters/characters in one equation. Like I said before, I have an odd habit of becoming incredibly panicked and stressed when I change my daily routine, so when going to extra help, I only focus on getting out. I know, it's weird.

Also, I want to drop two joke classes, so I can focus on the important Math and English classes, but I'm afraid that'll look bad for colleges...but on the other hand, I won't be able to work comfortably!

As for the Socializing in class bit, talking to the teacher about them not doing work will only make things worse. I'd love to work alone. Hell, I'd love to be alone in High School 100% of the time, but I'm paranoid and nervous that people will judge me.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: AWFUL First Day. (Senior) - September 3rd 2010, 03:31 AM

People judge each other all the time whenever we are in the presence of others. It's irrational to worry about it happening because it will and does happen, even you judge others.

I would drop the "joke" classes because colleges care about grades in the important courses, such as math and English, and other courses for the major/program you study. If dropping them means higher grades, then I would drop them. Your guidance counselor should let you unless there's an issue in the school policies on something or he/she has a possible way to help the grades without dropping. If you really want to drop, just tell him/her and if they refuse, go to the principal and tell them about the situation. Tell your parents also because they can make it happen easier as guidance counselors don't want to land themselves in an argument with a student and their parents.

Try to overcome the immense stress of seeking extra help for math and other courses by knowing that it will help you into getting into college and increasing your social status in the school. I was part of the top students in my school and one thing I always found was no matter how popular the popular students were, if they need help with their work, they often go to the smart people. None of us would often do their work for them, we'd just try to help them along so they can do it themselves somewhere else. If you value the social status of the school a lot, this is a way to get a higher status. However, you can still get a higher status even without becoming the top of the school.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: AWFUL First Day. (Senior) - September 3rd 2010, 04:26 AM

Don't be that scared of Math, it's not as bad as it seems, but can always post your questions here for people to help you or even the own students can help you. As for the social problem don't stress too much talk to people, talk to the person that sits next to you in a class it's not as hard as it seems and enjoy your last high school year it goes by fast.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Killionaire Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

September 3rd 2010, 10:19 AM

At WO!USaidSomethingSmart!: I'm not really a smart person at all, so I doubt they'd want to work with me. I got weird looks like "What is HE doing here?" today.

At Mexico: Everyone I sit next to is lazy, a slacker, and never pays attention in class.

I don't mean to bump, but...

UPDATE: My guidance counselor basically told me that it's impossible to drop the classes. Each class is becoming more and more awkward, yet I've only spend two days in school.

Last edited by L'espoir; September 5th 2010 at 12:15 AM.

Closed Thread