TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DarkSeph Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Liam

College? - September 6th 2010, 03:24 PM

Ok, so suddenly out of the blue I get a call that I've been accepted for a college course I applied for back in march. Originally I didn't get a place but got put on a "waiting list". So today I get the call and I'm told I need to make a decision by tomorrow and it starts friday.

I live about 120 miles away from the college, so I'd either need to spend 5-6 hours on a bus everyday or get accommodation. Accomodation at a last minute time like this would either be impossible, or I'd end up somewhere quite far from the college. There is no student accommodation at the college itself.

I'm kinda really torn on this =/ It's far too short notice, I would have far rather known a month or two in advance like everyone else so I could arrange everything. I'm a little unsure if the course (game design) is what I really want to do anymore.
However, I'm 23, getting far too old to be hanging about on getting education for a career and I feel I should really be doing this for the sake of doing something. But I know it'll probably be a pretty crap experience (I've done a course at this college before). Plus if I make a decision it means paying a fee.

Agh, I really don't know =/ Advice or opinions?

Currently inactive...
  Send a message via MSN to DarkSeph  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
JackOffJill Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Karyn

Re: College? - September 6th 2010, 03:34 PM

Wow well first congrats for being accepted- even if you decide against it thats still something to be proud of!

That really sucks that you found out last minute and have to make a decision so soon. It doesnt give you much time to figure out what you really want to do.

Just know though that just because you are 23 doesnt mean that you have to know what you want to do or anything like that. My boyfriend is 27 and is still in college. He has been taking courses for 10 years! Everyone does it at their own pace.

Im not sure what to say as far as what you should do because only you can make that choice. Maybe you can write down a list of pros and cons and look at each one before making a decision. Im sorry that im not much help really. But whatever you decide will be the right decision for you!

"Sometimes you have to kind of die inside in order to rise from your own ashes and believe in yourself and love yourself and become a new person." -Gerard Way
  Send a message via AIM to JackOffJill  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Name: Basil!!!

Re: College? - September 6th 2010, 07:02 PM

I'd say go for it. You'll be able to find some students sharing a house that ended up with fewer takers than they thought they'd have, and hopefully getting started on the course will get you interested again. Just try to think back to why you picked the course in the first place, what motivated you to choose it, and keep that in mind.
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Nomophobia Offline
Music is my escape
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Muse

Re: College? - September 6th 2010, 07:31 PM

I agree with it being crap at such short notice, and there is no rush to do anything!
You need to make sure you do a course that you are happy with, it's not worth wasting time and money on something you don't want to do. I think you should look at all the courses you can do and see which one you feel most passionate about it. You know I will support you in any decision you make I agree with looking at the pros and cons
(L)

"Friends are like stars; you don't always see them but you know they are always there"

"It gives me hope. I love you so much. You give me a reason to breathe. Its something for me to not kill myself for" >>> means so much :')

Paramore! <3
Pm me anytime, I like to help!
  Send a message via MSN to Nomophobia  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
teen spirit Offline
Average Joe

Name: Cantina

Re: College? - September 6th 2010, 07:37 PM

I totally agree with everyone!

When we are feeling like we are out of our comfort zone...that little voice in our heads tries to talk us out of whatever it is that we want to do.
Did you have any plans? What were you going to do when you thought you weren't going to college?
Basil said it right...you have to remember why you applied for the course in the first place...
When you really want something...you will be amazed how easily things start to come together.
Unfortuately, no one can really tell you what decision you should make-like also said before...only you can honestly make your choice.
Just ask yourself...is it my fear making the decision or is it really me...????

Whatever decision you choose...it needs to be one that you won't regret down the road...life is too short for regrets

Hope this helped a bit

(#6 (permalink)) Old
DarkSeph Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Liam

Re: College? - September 7th 2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Of V View Post
Just try to think back to why you picked the course in the first place, what motivated you to choose it, and keep that in mind.
To be completely honest, the exact reason was because my ex was hassling me about it. She seemed to have the opinion that not doing college immediately = waster. It was pretty much go to college or be dumped, so despite not knowing what the heck to do, I did, and picked game design because it was "safe", since I'd done it before.

...Then she just found something else to hassle me over, cheated and dumped me for another guy. :/ I definitely want out of the comfort zone and to go for things, but I'd really love to find something I honestly enjoy doing, instead of doing it for the sake of other peoples opinions.

Anyway, advice has really helped a lot so far, thanks guys.

Currently inactive...
  Send a message via MSN to DarkSeph  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Jocelyn. Offline
Now fight.
I've been here a while

Name: Joce

Re: College? - September 7th 2010, 04:40 PM

If you don't want to do game design.... don't do it

I went to school for my paralegal certificate. I was pretty confidant its what I wanted to do at the time I signed up for it. Now I'm not so sure, and even though I've finished the course I've put off finding a job because I don't want to do that type of work anymore. I'm going to have to start paying off my loans soon, and ack.... I feel stuck.

So let this be the motivation for you to figure out what you do want to do. No point in wasting time and money on something you don't really want. Like others said, really think about it though. Are you afraid, or have you really just changed your mind about game design? Can you think of something you'd rather go for? Is there much job opportunity in this field? What kind of money would you be making?

Good luck, Liam!

When reality is a prison, your mind can set you free.

Closed Thread