TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Troy Offline
- Love It
Not a n00b

Name: Kyle

Opps i failed.. MY AP CLASSES! - January 8th 2009, 02:37 PM

SO right now my math and science grade look like this..
Math:
69.53% Grade: D+
Science:
73.47 % Grade: C
and as of right now. My parent want to kill me because its my first year in High school and i'm having a hard time with Advanced Placement Math and Science. I really wanna get out of it but i dont know how to tell my parents...They are supper strict about grades.

Any ideas?

"When you live forever
What do you live for"

"Simplicity Is Fun..."
Notice Me Please..

Join
The Flying Ninjas Of TeenHelp...
Its a group thing.

Last edited by Troy; January 8th 2009 at 02:37 PM. Reason: :D
  Send a message via AIM to Troy Send a message via MSN to Troy  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Name: Ask Away!

Re: Opps i failed.. MY AP CLASSES! - January 8th 2009, 02:46 PM

Well first of all, taking those advanced courses are VERY challenging, and getting a C is pretty good if you ask me. Maybe you should stay in Math and concentrate more on that, but drop the Science. Perhaps your parents will be more lenient if you compromise. But if you don't think you can handle both/ or one class, I highly suggest talking to your parents seriously while showing them the grades you have received. Explain you are working hard, but it's just too challenging. Remember that is is your first year in high school, remind your parents that too. There is plenty of time to take AP and honors classes in these next three years. Also, try talking to your guidance counselor, they can be helpful in making these decisions, and could also help talk to your parents.

If you ever want to talk, PM me anytime
Take care, and good luck, I hope everything works out
-Amy

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Opps i failed.. MY AP CLASSES! - January 8th 2009, 02:48 PM

Wow, they must be really hard classes if you have to get more than 74% to get a B or higher. I think you've done well, you've scored over half marks for each test and I know when that happens to me I always feel okay.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
molliegym Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Molly

Re: Opps i failed.. MY AP CLASSES! - January 8th 2009, 02:49 PM

Whoaaa, you're in AP math and science classes as a freshman in high school? Which math (stats, calc AB, calc BC?) and which science (bio, chem, physics b, physics c, enviro?)? Most freshman don't take any of these classes.

It might be in your best interest to drop the APs, and take regular math and science if that's an option. The classes would be easier, and you would do better. If you can't start a new class at this point in the year, can you drop the APs, and then take the regular course(s) over the summer? You may have to talk to your guidance counselor about this.

If your parents are strict about grades, they should want you to succeed in a class that's at the right level, as opposed to struggling (which you clearly seem to be) in AP classes.
  Send a message via AIM to molliegym Send a message via MSN to molliegym  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Troy Offline
- Love It
Not a n00b

Re: Opps i failed.. MY AP CLASSES! - January 8th 2009, 02:55 PM

Thanks guys for all the help..

Quote:
Originally Posted by molliegym View Post
If your parents are strict about grades, they should want you to succeed in a class that's at the right level, as opposed to struggling (which you clearly seem to be) in AP classes.
See thats what one would think but they dont care. They think i'm not trying!
and i mean the D+ is just about a C!

"When you live forever
What do you live for"

"Simplicity Is Fun..."
Notice Me Please..

Join
Its a group thing.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Olive, always Offline
The Mighty Grape
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Liv

Re: Opps i failed.. MY AP CLASSES! - January 8th 2009, 03:34 PM

Basically, AP courses aren't designed to fluff your GPA by anyy means. The CollegeBoard (oh the CollegeBoard...) wants to make you work to the limit to simply pass the class. Their thinking is this: If you can pass this class at an age not fit for the typical college experience, you will get a B or an A in college once you take this course again (you're also not supposed to pass the exams! heh).
So you're doing well. Don't take APs if your GPA can't handle it, however...and that's important - the GPA. (:
Your parents will think what they will think - to place into AP classes at 14 is no small feat. So keep that in mind.
Best of luck.

=P

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jessica

Re: Opps i failed.. MY AP CLASSES! - January 8th 2009, 04:09 PM

Is it an option for you to get tutoring, or even just extra help from the teacher? Also, I've found that at my work (I'm a tutor), when our children go directly to their parents and complain about how hard school is, the parents immediately think that they're children are lazy and just don't want to work hard. However, if we notice that the student is working hard, giving an honest effort and still having problems, the parents are much more open to the tutor or our boss suggesting that maybe they need to be taking easier classes. Maybe you could have a discussion with your parents, together with your teacher, just to discuss some possibilities as to what can/should be done?

Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius

(#8 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Name: Edna

Re: Opps i failed.. MY AP CLASSES! - January 8th 2009, 04:23 PM

Yikes.

Well, I would recruit your friends and teachers to your cause, because a healthy learning environment and repetition and practice will raise your grade in an AP class, more than your parents yelling at you.

Last year, I had to come in to my AP physics class after school and study with my friends to get good grades in the class, and at some points, I was coming in 4 days a week. Because I was a "regular" my teacher took the time to address my personal questions and valued me as a person in his class (extra cred and test corrections!!) because he saw that I was, albeit not that smart, committed and studious.

Believe it or not, AP classes are not that hard. They're only hard if you don't put in the effort and time needed to maintain them. None of the material in AP physics is impossible to understand, it's not like some crazy college class that you have to be a genius to take. No! It is an entry level college class, and it takes practice and a good learning environment. Lol I've taken so many of these I can go on forever.

Plus, if it's not AP physics, your AP science (bio, environ, chem) is a memorization based course. You're going to learn it up to at least a B level if you study enough.

Now, "AP math", if it's calc especially, is a little more conceptual than most AP classes which means you have to understand calculus principles to figure out new things, and it does all pile up on rudimentary ideas :-/ but I find that in calculus, it's hardly ever that people don't understand what they're supposed to find, but they mess up because they don't do each of the problems enough and they don't have the practice and repetition to reinforce the conceptual leanring. Yes... pain in the butt... But that's how we learn stuff.

So, I would definitely keep the science, because it's probably memorization based and just takes time. The math? It depends. If it's a conceptual fall-through, are you ready to take the time (and possibly hire a tutor, or come in extra with teacher, partner up with friends) to pick up the pieces and work it out? If not, you're a freshmen and you can afford to drop it and take it next year. If so, remember that AP classes are possible, even as a freshman. It really comes down to work ethic most of the time.

As for dealing with parents.. that's another story. I also have very furious parents with high expectations. Lol, in fact, I have parents who just expect As and will scream and yell at me if I fall short of perfection (lots of yelling and screaming now, since I'm almost done with HS I've been through it all...) and heres how I deal with them: I give my parents my plan. Here's what I am doing to remedy the problem. I am coming in on X days, I am studying with my friends before tests. I am doing extra problems. It's a pursuasion campaign, and it also channels your parents wrath from just wrath to wrath that enforces a schedule of repetition and enforcement because instead of yelling at you because of your grade, they will yell at you to meet with your teacher and do extra problems.

Hmm. This is a long post... lol. Don't hesitate to PM me. I have taken more AP classes than I should have, honestly, and I can probably help you out or a find someone who can.

I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Troy Offline
- Love It
Not a n00b

Re: Opps i failed.. MY AP CLASSES! - January 8th 2009, 06:13 PM

Thanks for all the help guys!
I got a test grade back to day as an 83% so i'm happy about that but i have to strive for an A on the exam.. I think if i can do that i'll get at least a C maybe a C+ because we get credit for showing up for the exam + our grade so I get like .85 points or something small + my grade so I just hope i can get a C i HAVE to. if i dont, I'll be grounded from life...no joke.

"When you live forever
What do you live for"

"Simplicity Is Fun..."
Notice Me Please..

Join
Its a group thing.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Katieeee Offline
that's what she said.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Katie

Re: Opps i failed.. MY AP CLASSES! - January 8th 2009, 06:28 PM

Personally, I wouldn't have taken those classes as a freshman. To have two of the hardest AP's when you're just starting out is almost like overkill. Could you talk to your parents and maybe drop the one you feel the least strongest in? That way you can focus on improving the grade in the other one. However, did they make you sign an "AP contract" in the beginning of the year saying you weren't allowed to drop the classes? That's what they did for us.

If that is the case, talk to your teachers and see if you can work with them on understanding the curriculum a little better. On a slight bright side, colleges sometimes weight your AP grades, so even if you get a C, it's equivalent to getting a B.

Good luck :]

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Troy Offline
- Love It
Not a n00b

Re: Opps i failed.. MY AP CLASSES! - January 8th 2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katieeee View Post
did they make you sign an "AP contract" in the beginning of the year saying you weren't allowed to drop the classes?
They did not. But it would be like impossible to, my parents wont let me drop.

"When you live forever
What do you live for"

"Simplicity Is Fun..."
Notice Me Please..

Join
Its a group thing.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Re: Opps i failed.. MY AP CLASSES! - January 8th 2009, 06:38 PM

I don't see anything wrong with taking APs as a freshman if you're willing to put in the commitment and do well. I have quite a few friends who have, and have persevered.

I hope you read my post and that things are going to look up for you.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Troy Offline
- Love It
Not a n00b

Re: Opps i failed.. MY AP CLASSES! - January 8th 2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Vincent View Post
I don't see anything wrong with taking APs as a freshman if you're willing to put in the commitment and do well. I have quite a few friends who have, and have persevered.

I hope you read my post and that things are going to look up for you.

Thanks St.Vincent!
I did read it. And your right, taking classes as a freshman only shows dedication even if the grade is a C colleges will be wowed at the fact that i took them as a FRESHMAN.

"When you live forever
What do you live for"

"Simplicity Is Fun..."
Notice Me Please..

Join
Its a group thing.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Re: Opps i failed.. MY AP CLASSES! - January 8th 2009, 06:51 PM

Also, don't let being a freshman lead you to complacency. Keep trying to get more practice and repetition.. I am sure that with that, your performance will go up. And the effort will please mommy and daddy =P

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Troy Offline
- Love It
Not a n00b

Re: Opps i failed.. MY AP CLASSES! - January 8th 2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Vincent View Post
the effort will please mommy and daddy =P

HAHA YEAH it will.

-Thanks

"When you live forever
What do you live for"

"Simplicity Is Fun..."
Notice Me Please..

Join
Its a group thing.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Opps i failed.. MY AP CLASSES! - January 9th 2009, 09:31 AM

You could try to get tutoring, whether it's from a teacher or university/college. At my university campus, there's some flyers/ads of highschoolers wanting tutoring for various subjects, and most university students are looking at them as it's an easy way for them to earn some quick money.

At a highschool freshman level, doing AP classes is fairly uncommon as the transition to highschool alone can be hard, now you're adding in AP courses. Just talk to the parents, say that it's difficult and run by the possibilities of tutoring, dropping 1 of them, etc... . If you do this without consulting them, it'd make them more pissed off and put you a lot deeper in the shitter.

Closed Thread