TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Annoyed - February 18th 2009, 02:07 PM

I recently submitted four experiment write ups to my biology teachers which I spent a lot of time on. I got four A's, the highest grade possible.

The problem I have is that my teacher took absolutely no care with the marking. On the top of one write up she wrote "You have suggested a good range of activities for improving the experiment" where on that write up my evaluation only had one suggestion! It was a different one that had over 10! On another write up, I realised after submitting it I had written the wrong point in the analysis. The iodine doesn't get caught in the amylopectin coils as I stated in gets caught in the amylose -- she still marked it correctly!

She clearly took absolutely no care and paid no attention when marking my write ups. FFS. I took care doing them so she should take care marking them!

End rant.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Lee Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Lee Awesome

Re: Annoyed - February 18th 2009, 03:42 PM

You could always ask her if you can sit down with her and then bring up these points with her (in a... less ranty way). But then you might be at risk at getting the grading for them changed.
It's pretty sad when your teacher isn't even paying attention to your work though. Is it possible to bring it up with your head of year or anyone?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Re: Annoyed - February 18th 2009, 05:46 PM

Oof. That happens to me. I took a prep class for the high school exit exam, and the teacher for the English portion knew less than I did.

When we read a portion of Marie Curie's biography, she said that Marie Curie invented RADAR. Wow. And when we read the abridged, tamed version of the Tell-Tale Heart, the only adjectives she could come up with were "strange" and "weird." She also said that Poe was trying to convince the reader that he wasn't crazy. I didn't know whether to laugh at her ignorance or cry about the falling standards. I think I might have done both.

It was okay though, because I got to seriously slack off on my essay writing in that class. I threw some big words at her to get her dazed and impressed, and even though my essay organizational skills sucked and I went off-topic, she just wrote "ZOMGZ AWSOM ESSAY LULZ" time after time.

"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine

Last edited by Lorelei; February 18th 2009 at 05:54 PM.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Annoyed - February 18th 2009, 06:30 PM

If you're getting the high marks, then why complain? The teacher may not spend a lot of time marking it nor even take any care in marking it, that I do agree on from the sounds of it, but so what? I don't know if you're in highschool or university, nor if your experiment write-ups had individual parts such as abstract, intro, results, discussion (using references from other papers), etc... . For our 2nd year university animal physiology course (last semester, already finished that course), you had to make sure every single part of it was very well done as the TAs admitted to looking over the abstract and introduction, then skimming the rest simply because they didn't have enough time to look through every single little detail.

Keep doing the hard work as you keep your work ethic up high, even if the teacher is lazy or not very good. Get the high grades, keep up the work ethic and I don't see a problem to complain about. Many people complain about too low marks, so be happy.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Annoyed - February 19th 2009, 11:10 AM

^ Of course they have all the different elements of the write up. We tend to focus primarily on analysis here.

It's not the point about the grades, I don't want a grade I don't deserve, and I would still have gottan the high A's if she'd picked up on the one place where I went wrong. I don't want grades I don't deserve and after realising that my teacher pays barely any attention to my work I don't know whether or not I deserve the grades I'm getting. For this reason I don't know what grade I'm heading for (as it won't be this teacher marking either my coursework or my exams, they're all external).

You might be the sort of person who will take your marks if they're high whether or not you deserved them or not, but I want to know that I worked for them and deserved them. That is where I get my satisfaction from, and why I still bother with education.

I won't be going through this with her, I just needed to rant it off my chest.

Closed Thread