TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Exclamation Pe and anxiety in sixth form?! - September 8th 2010, 06:17 PM

So even though I'm in sixth form, we have enrichment on Wednesday afternoons, last lesson which means we have to do PE. This for me will only last a few months top because I will start work experience on Wednesdays.

However, in the last year, I didn't do PE at all because i can't handle it. I struggle badly with confidence and self esteem which triggered my anxiety. I've struggled from bad panic attacks in the past, at points i was having up t eight a day, and sometimes, things like having to do PE triggered it.

Why don't I like it? Because I don't like people watching me, and I'm scared people will judge me and think im fat or something and that I'll do something stupid.

And i cant do it. And my mum says that its understandable, and that i should talk to the head of sixth form but im scared i will sound real stupid. But i need to talk to her about my appointments because i wont have enough free's to go in my free lessons so it will interrupt my lessons and i need to make sure it wont affect me EMA, and to generally make her aware.

So im thinking of asking her whether because of my anxiety, i can skip PE and do a study lesson instead. Or to compromise and say i will go running on my own through to town to hubbards so i don't feel really anxious about it to the point where it triggers me. But im not sure.

What do you think?!
Thankyou

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#2 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Re: Pe and anxiety in sixth form?! - September 8th 2010, 06:37 PM

You obviously have problems with anxiety, and have skipped PE in the past because of this. I'm sure if you speak to the head of sixth form that they will understand. You can't do much else than ask.

Good luck

(#3 (permalink)) Old
L'espoir Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jen

Re: Pe and anxiety in sixth form?! - September 8th 2010, 08:48 PM

Jessie I think that as long as you let the head of year know and are honest about it then they will let you be excused from P.E, especially since you were excused last year. If you can't get hold of her could you perhaps get hold of Mrs Jaines or someone else?

PM // VM

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Pe and anxiety in sixth form?! - September 8th 2010, 09:05 PM

She teaches me about ten times a week.
But im trying to see Mrs.Jaines too for a general chat, and leaving her a note in the lsu tomorrow cause shes moved offices, but its not really her job now.

I'm just scared i will sound stupid or she will turn around and say no, and then i wont really know what to say.

Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Pe and anxiety in sixth form?! - September 8th 2010, 09:19 PM

maybe see if another teacher who knows you well could talk to your head of year first just to let them know the situation before they speak to you? would make it less awkward and you won't have to explain things you may not want to talk about.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#6 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Pe and anxiety in sixth form?! - September 8th 2010, 11:49 PM

I think if you talk to your head of sixth form then they should understand, BUT JESSIE, have you actually tried this year? You are a lot better than you were last year. Getting over this fear would be a big step forward and I think it's worthing giving yourself the chance to show how far you've come.

Also with regards to appointments and frees -- I'm sure you have *LOTS* of free periods when you don't have any classes (like your 3 main classes). And this will sound a bit harsh but YOU CANNOT BOOK APPOINTMENTS DURING YOUR MAIN CLASSES. You just can't! I can't stress how much missing even one class can have a big impact and one thing you don't want is the pressure of feeling behind in a class & that getting on top of you.. I've had it happen in maths and it's just not nice and hard for anyone to cope with. You don't have THAT many appointments, please, it's really really super important that you make sure they are outside of your lesson time. You're doing A Levels now, they're not GCSEs, you cannot afford to miss even one class. Never mind on a semi-regular basis!

Sorry if that sounded a bit brutal ^^ just thought it was important to say

x

(RAH) + (AH) + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA) + OOH + (LA) = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Dedalus Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Joe

Re: Pe and anxiety in sixth form?! - September 9th 2010, 12:57 AM

I know this is stupid to say, but I remember when I was 14/15 and I started to have a proper social life and my mates used to go to these disco things for teenagers I used to have this massive anxiety thing like you...I don't know why...all the people I didn't know, the guys starting fights and the girls looking for a pull...I used to worry for 4 or 5 days before it and very often opted out of going with some lame excuse. I got panic attacks thinking about it...

...but eventually after forcing myself to go I slowly overcame these attacks and it just stopped in the end. I found that if I went out one weekend to one of those things it was easier to go the next, but if I took a break I'd end up shitting it again. Anyway after maybe a year it eventually disappeared and I just came back from a party I knew no one at - I just got invited by these two girls passing by and I went and had a great time.

My point is, and I'm a great believer of this, is that you have to confront your fears to overcome them. To do something you are afraid of takes a lot of courage and the feeling of inferiority I imagine you are feeling, like I did, will disappear when you climb this mountain. It is important for your confidence and ability to just fuck it and do what you're afraid of. There will come a time later in life where you cant take the easy way out like you want and you'll pay then rather than now, and its better to do it now while you're young.

I recommend you plough on, and I appreciate your feelings, but it is best for you. It really is. Please do stick it out and listen to me, even though its not what you want to hear.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Pe and anxiety in sixth form?! - September 9th 2010, 09:43 AM

I definately understand what you mean about facing the fears. But the times i tried to do it, resulted in panic attacks which yes, makes me stuborn but i refuse to do it.

I just got to so worked up last night, i couldnt stop crying over it, and i couldnt sleep. To the point where i didnt even want to come in today. I think my mums ringing in this afternoon to and talk to her about it.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Dedalus Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Joe

Re: Pe and anxiety in sixth form?! - September 9th 2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie'Lou View Post
I definately understand what you mean about facing the fears. But the times i tried to do it, resulted in panic attacks which yes, makes me stuborn but i refuse to do it.

I just got to so worked up last night, i couldnt stop crying over it, and i couldnt sleep. To the point where i didnt even want to come in today. I think my mums ringing in this afternoon to and talk to her about it.

Well, I was a bit like that. I'd work myself up into a panic and would opt out...but I did start doing it and it got better and now I love going out and meeting new people and being in crowds of people I don't know.

I know how you feel and I can completely understand how hard it is, but as Thomas Milton said "The greatest victories in life are over yourself".

I'm not going to judge you or think less of you for not doing it, but I'd think what a brave person if you did it. My advice is to stick it out, because its important to do these things and it makes easier for the next thing you don't like (I've been down this route)....so for you as a person I still advise that you do it.

On the other side, nobody during sports or PE thinks what you're thinking. Nobody really watches you, because we're all bored shitless waiting for our turn and not really paying attention. I wouldn't worry about that, but I trust you probably know that and its an irrational fear you don't really understand.

Good luck.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Pe and anxiety in sixth form?! - September 9th 2010, 04:02 PM

Thankss for all the advice

My mum rang up, and Ms.Taylor (head of year) spoke to me when i was sat in reception earlier on. She said she's spoken to mum, and that i shouldn't have gotten myself worked up. That its okay for me to feel this way and she understands. That we can keep it the same as last year, i wont have to do it, but if at any point, i feel like i do want to, im welcome to just join back in. She was really lovely and told me not to worry.

Im glad its sorted now! Definitely feel a lot better.

thanksss. (:

+ i dont mind this being closed now.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
L'espoir Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jen

Re: Pe and anxiety in sixth form?! - September 9th 2010, 06:00 PM

I'm glad that's all sorted out.. I'm going to go ahead and close this since the problem is solved

PM // VM

Closed Thread