TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Dedalus Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Joe

Professor... - September 20th 2010, 11:27 PM

There's a Professor at my university that I really admire. He did his BA, MA and PhD at Oxford and he is such an intelligent man. He's calm, modest, reserved and just has this air about him of quiet genius.

For his lectures he has so powerpoint slides - he lectures in Greek and Greek literature and all he does is stand at the front of the lecture hall and read from his book or speak to the class - no slides or anything. Yet he manages to continuously pull in a full audience and keep attention for the entire duration of the lecture - there isn't a sound!

He's apparently the leading figure in the world at present in Ancient Greek literature. He's plylinguist - fluent in Latin, Ancient Greek, Greek, Italian, German and French.

He was chairperson of the Irish Acadmey and was teaching at Cambridge, Oxford and Queens before coming here...he's so distinguished that I've talked to people studyign Classics in other universities and Professors of other universities and they all know him and all agree on the things in my first paragraph...he seems to have this effect on everyone.

He's not a leading figure in Classics in the same way Robin Lane Fox is, however, so don't jump to those levels.

But I deeply admire him for everything I've outlined...and he is very much the kind of person I wish I was.

I'm a little worried, because I'm not sure how well he knows me. In first year he sent me an email to enter an essay I wrote for his module into a particular competition...He's awarded me a scholarship. I've also visited his office a few times in relation to essay feedback and the scholarship...I've also spoken to him fairly regularly after lectures.

I think I may have made a faux-pas recently, as I went to see him in his office about recieving a payment of the scholarship and we entered a discussion on Lane Fox and Euripides...he was very accommodating and asked me to sit down - we spent about 20 mins talking....however, I let a few things slip that I had read on his personal blurb about himself on the universities website - like he went to Oxford and he was chairperson of the RIA. I think he was a bit taken aback...

Anyway, today I went down after a lecture to ask if he would be a referee for my application to Oxford, bearing in mind he doesn't really know me - and usually he's very socialble and will spent ages talking, but all he said was "Yes of course, good luck with it"...and walked off. I'm quite sure he thinks I'm quite strange...

The thing is I'm absolutely raging mad I didn't get him as my supervisor for my dissertation, as I'd desire nothing more than to get into an intellectual debate and discussion with him...he's a very refreshing person to talk to and incredibly sharp. He is someone I'd like to get to know very well.

I might start going to the Classics Society meetings now...but I think I've blown it? He probably thinks I'm a total eccentric or have some thing for him.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
lanegwyn Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Professor... - September 21st 2010, 12:25 AM

Dude, I can't imagine that you've made any social error. Mentioning his school is incredibly relevant if you're applying there, but it'd also be totally acceptable if you weren't. Knowning basic information about him isn't creepy at all, and given his obvious intelligence etc. I can't imagine he'd think so.
It's very possible that he was just busy or preoccupied when you talked to him after the lecture recently. Don't give up! He sounds amazing- seize the opportunity to interact with him. Good luck with everything!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Professor... - September 23rd 2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
There's a Professor at my university that I really admire. He did his BA, MA and PhD at Oxford and he is such an intelligent man. He's calm, modest, reserved and just has this air about him of quiet genius.

For his lectures he has so powerpoint slides - he lectures in Greek and Greek literature and all he does is stand at the front of the lecture hall and read from his book or speak to the class - no slides or anything. Yet he manages to continuously pull in a full audience and keep attention for the entire duration of the lecture - there isn't a sound!

He's apparently the leading figure in the world at present in Ancient Greek literature. He's plylinguist - fluent in Latin, Ancient Greek, Greek, Italian, German and French.

He was chairperson of the Irish Acadmey and was teaching at Cambridge, Oxford and Queens before coming here...he's so distinguished that I've talked to people studyign Classics in other universities and Professors of other universities and they all know him and all agree on the things in my first paragraph...he seems to have this effect on everyone.

He's not a leading figure in Classics in the same way Robin Lane Fox is, however, so don't jump to those levels.

But I deeply admire him for everything I've outlined...and he is very much the kind of person I wish I was.

I'm a little worried, because I'm not sure how well he knows me. In first year he sent me an email to enter an essay I wrote for his module into a particular competition...He's awarded me a scholarship. I've also visited his office a few times in relation to essay feedback and the scholarship...I've also spoken to him fairly regularly after lectures.

I think I may have made a faux-pas recently, as I went to see him in his office about recieving a payment of the scholarship and we entered a discussion on Lane Fox and Euripides...he was very accommodating and asked me to sit down - we spent about 20 mins talking....however, I let a few things slip that I had read on his personal blurb about himself on the universities website - like he went to Oxford and he was chairperson of the RIA. I think he was a bit taken aback...

Anyway, today I went down after a lecture to ask if he would be a referee for my application to Oxford, bearing in mind he doesn't really know me - and usually he's very socialble and will spent ages talking, but all he said was "Yes of course, good luck with it"...and walked off. I'm quite sure he thinks I'm quite strange...

The thing is I'm absolutely raging mad I didn't get him as my supervisor for my dissertation, as I'd desire nothing more than to get into an intellectual debate and discussion with him...he's a very refreshing person to talk to and incredibly sharp. He is someone I'd like to get to know very well.

I might start going to the Classics Society meetings now...but I think I've blown it? He probably thinks I'm a total eccentric or have some thing for him.
Speaking of weird moments with high ranking people.

I felt really awkward in front of executives at my company (which is fairly large one)

President, CEO and the CEO's wife... at a little party. lol

But guess what I am young. and I think they realized that I am young. So who cares if you messed up.

Some guys who give dating advice would called this "P***y on a Pedestal" which is really putting them up a standard so high u cant even touch them but in reality they are just skin an bones.

Some times we mess up.. who cares lets move on thats what i just told myself today.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Quartet Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Melanie

Re: Professor... - September 23rd 2010, 10:04 PM

If what you read was on a university website, that is public information that he himself was willing to let others read. The fact that you brought it up merely shows your interest in him as an intellectual and as an individual.

If he decides that you are eccentric, as you put it, or thinks you have something for him because you mentioned it in a conversation with him, then let him. You obviously don't have feelings for him, he is a man you admire and would like to be educated by, not romanced with.

The problem is that he seems to be short with you, which is something he is probably doing so he can remain professional, but not put himself in a position with you. That is't the greatest feeling, but it's something you have to live with.

I would just be normal to him, as he was with you. Don't push conversation on him, but be yourself around him. He's an instructor so if you have questions I am sure he will still be professional about it.

Colours De Moi

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Susurrous Offline
Just wandering...
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Drew

Re: Professor... - September 23rd 2010, 10:37 PM

You cannot change what happened in the past, so don't spend time dwelling on it. Even if you spilled a 2-Liter Coco-Cola bottle on his suit and he caught you making passionate love to his lecture notes, it won't do any good submerging yourself in these negative thoughts. You have plenty of opportunity to make amends for this faux pas (if what you did can even be considered a faux pas), so why not focus on building a better relationship for the future?

Go to the Classics Society meetings if you are really interested in the study. When you interact with your professor, don't make a point out of avoiding him so he doesn't think you are strange. That kind of behavior is more noticeable and eccentric than just being yourself. Let things come naturally when you speak and don't make a point out of filtering what you say...then if you find that you two are not compatible at least you can say that you did your best and you kept your dignity. Because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."

Closed Thread