TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Working In A Prison? - October 3rd 2010, 03:59 AM

I'm almost done with my schooling to become a Phlebotomist and I'm considering working inside a prison.

What are some of the downfalls and good things about working inside a prison?

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: Working In A Prison? - October 3rd 2010, 04:15 AM

I don't work in a prison, but I'm sure a down fall would be to have to hear all these bad or sad stories. :/

What are you doing at the prison?

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Re: Working In A Prison? - October 3rd 2010, 05:02 AM

Congrats Holly.

Honestly I wouldn't recommend it. My cousing worked at a prison, as the head cook. And he was killed. What had happened was that the rules weren't being followed and a guard allowed an imate into an area he wasn't supposed to be. There are good benefits/pay, but the dangers out weigh it.

To you, everything's funny. - -
I'd give all I have, honey. - If you could stay like that.
Stay this little. - - I won't let nobody hurt you.
Just try to never grow up. - - Never grow up.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Working In A Prison? - October 3rd 2010, 06:30 AM

Since prisons house more serious offenders, there's a greater risk you take when dealing with them. From what I've heard and read, it can be very stressful to work there because of dealing with the various prisoners who often aren't particularly fond of the prison officers or other prisoners. Also, many prisons incorporate rehabilitation programs and sometimes the officers are the ones who administer them. Given they're already under lots of stress, it's been documented many times they don't always follow the program and get stressed about that and it not working. You also have to get a feel for how the prisoners are to assess their behaviours being normal or not, and whether they're in connections with other prisoners (i.e. gang members).

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Working In A Prison? - October 4th 2010, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndsee View Post
I don't work in a prison, but I'm sure a down fall would be to have to hear all these bad or sad stories. :/

What are you doing at the prison?
Drawing blood.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: ..........

Re: Working In A Prison? - October 4th 2010, 03:08 AM

have two family members who work in a corrections facilty (ccno) my brotherinlaw a corrections officer(gaurd) and my sister a nurse.. the health coverage would probally be one of the good things.. a few of the bad things would be safety but theyll likelly teach you self defense tecniques and holds and there will likelly always have be a gaurd present when you draw blood...... just be prepared for them to call you all kind of names youll likelly encounter a few "gang bangers" and theyll call you every name imaginable just to get a reaction so they can claim they were mistreated...

if you have any questions feel free to pm me id be more then happy to ask my sister or brotherinlaw questions for you...

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: Working In A Prison? - October 13th 2010, 02:58 AM

It's something I am thinking about too since I need to work in Ohio for five years full-time and finding a full-time job otherwise may be hard for nursing due to a high amount of nurses in the area. Plus I need to stay to get my BSN online at a state school.

My aunt also works as a nurse at a prison and it's not that bad. You will always have a guard present and the prisoners aren't supposed to talk to you. I've heard that the guards are actually a lot worse than the prisoners and are more likely to sexually harass the nurses. You do need to be up to date on all of your shots so I'd get a hepatitis B shot if you didn't get one for your program and you would be at a greater risk for TB due to the prisoners being in close confinement.

They also have rules for you to follow like wearing identification and only break-a-way lanyards if they use them. No bringing food that is frozen. No make up. Have only two pens and keep track of them at all times. There's more but I don't remember them off the top of my head.

I am pretty sure they are going to be handcuffed to an object when you are sticking them with a needle.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Alrex Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: Working In A Prison? - October 13th 2010, 09:27 AM

I work security, might transfer to a prision

Honestly it can't be that bad. Security is pretty high there and most of them don't want to extend their prision sentence by doing something bad.

Closed Thread