TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Twisted Offline
Regular TeenHelper

They didn't pay me. - October 26th 2010, 08:22 AM

I live in England and i started a new job at Subway about a month ago. I was supposed to be getting paid today but my bank account is empty. I'm working from tomorrow till saturday but my car is running on empty and i have no money what so ever to catch the bus. I have no way to get to work, i was relying on this pay to enable me to get there. I'm not happy to be honest, one of the managers told me i was getting paid this week. I can't borrow any money off my mom because i already owe her £150 which i also wanted to pay her back today.

I called up the place today but they weren't there so i asked one of the guys i spoke to to tell them to give me a call when they're around, i'm just gonna ask them what the situation with pay is and tell them that because i wasn't paid i'm not gonna be able to get to work. They won't like it but what can i do? My boyfriend, mom and step dad all leave for work at 7:30am and i don't start my shifts untill 11am so there's no way i can get a lift except for on saturday when my boyfriend isn't working. I was just wondering if i have the right to refuse to work untill i get paid? I don't work for free and over the past few months me and my boyfriend have been messed around enough as it is with money/jobs and to be honest i can't be bothered to be messed around again. I've already been warned by co-workers to keep track of my hours because they'll try and rip me off. What can i do? I don't really know my rights or anything when it comes to this but the fact is that i really won't be able to make it to work this week. I refuse to borrow more money.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: They didn't pay me. - October 26th 2010, 11:37 AM

I'd keep trying to get through to them and explain your situation. I wouldn't say it was your fault if you were depending on getting paid to get to and from work and if they haven't paid you, it's their fault you can't make it because you need that money.

Also, if you've not been paid yet and you've been told to keep track of your hours because they tend to mess you around, it doesn't sound very good for them and if I was you, I'd keep my eyes out for another job to come up, one that hopefully won't mess you around like you have been before.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: They didn't pay me. - October 26th 2010, 08:43 PM

I think they fucked up. If you were clearly told by someone that you were going to get paid, and you relied on that pay, and ended up not getting paid, then that was a mistake they made on your part. I would just be like "look, I have absolutely no money. I really need money and I was under the impression that I was going to get paid when I said I was going to get paid, and it hasn't happened. I'd be more than happy to work, but I don't have any money for gas."

If things work out and they pay you or something, be sure to keep any documents and your hours in case it happens again. If you can prove to the court that they continue refusing to pay you the money you've earned, I'm sure you could file a lawsuit against discrimination because you're a woman. But hopefully it doesn't come to that :O

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Chaos Theory Offline
Knowledge will truimph.
Junior TeenHelper

Re: They didn't pay me. - October 27th 2010, 12:09 AM

In U.S. if your employers doesn't pay you, you could go to the state Department of Labor and they would try to intervene. I suggest you do the same thing if your employer doesn't pay you, make them. Write to the newspaper, and they get to be on the news for not paying their employees. They might cough up the salary with that, especially with a company like Subway.

Of course, try less drastic measure with asking your employers again.

To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the approbation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others; To give of one's self; To leave the world a bit better...; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived - This is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://www.formspring.me/ToucheTurtle <-- Ask me a question

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: They didn't pay me. - October 27th 2010, 12:42 AM

I'd imagine there is some sort of law regarding that the employer has to pay you within a certain amount of time. I can't find anything though.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: They didn't pay me. - October 27th 2010, 01:10 AM

There might be an issue with your direct deposit, if thats what you have. Check around and see if you maybe have a check, then call the Payroll department. Good luck.

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

Closed Thread