TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Courtney

What do you do when nobody stands behind your choices? - October 27th 2010, 09:00 PM

Okay so I just graduated hs and I am attending a local 4 year college. It is a very career oriented college. There are very few general classes, mostly you take classes specifically towards your field of study. The problem is I have NO idea what I want to major in. Yeah I could take classes in a virety of career fields, to find out what want to do, but if I do depending on which career path I choose some of those credits won't count towards my degree. At this college even the general classes are career specific. For example teaching may require 2 computer classes, but business may require 2 different computer classes...

I am really thinking bout switching to community college. That way I can take a viriety of calsses and still get an associates degree. Then I can decide what I want to do next, get a job, go to a university, get a job...

Everytime I bring up switching colleges to my parents I either get yelled at our ignored. My dad hates community college. He dosen't think general classes such as electives, art, gym... are important to getting a job. He also is all about money. Sure if I switch colleges I will lose one of my scolarships but still I have another scolarship and financial aid. I pay for my college on my own so I don't see why he cares anyways. Also community college should be cheaper, so in the end it should about equal out in cost. My mom just ignores me when I try and talk about it to her or she tells me she wants me to stay where I am because she likes that college. Real helpful.

I don't want to go through the process of switching colleges just to find out they were right and be in a whole new mess. I don't know what to do thought. If I were to go through with switching they would be very disapointed in me. I need to make a decision soon though because its getting to be time to register for winter classes.

What should I do?

Thanks!!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Dedalus Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Joe

Re: What do you do when nobody stands behind your choices? - October 27th 2010, 09:34 PM

I've always thought that there isn't much point in going into 3rd level education if you haven't an idea of what you want to do. You really shouldn't do it just because you've left school or because your friends are doing it.

The institution you're in now seems like the better deal to me, because anything that puts you into a variety of stuff like this community college will give you a load of stuff you don't know.

Added to that is the fact that an introduction or level 1 of a subject is very different to what comes after, and if you go to universities a masters is very different to a bachelors. You might like the introduction and basic stuff, but once it gets complicated or more fine tuned it really does change.

I know youre at an age where you're not sure what you want to do, and my suggestion is ignore the idea of a career - that can all be sorted out later and various degrees of any kind open doors into many different and diverse fields. The main thing for you is to pick a course that you think you'll enjoy, look at the module (or equivalent) programme to see what classes you'll be taking, their content, how they're assessed and so on and then the rest should follow. Don't worry about a career for now, because whatever you end up will open a lot of doors on the peripheries of what its tailored for.

Thats my advice anyway, though I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with the fundamentals of my argument - and they are probably right in some respects, but I don't think going into third level and not knowing what you want to do is a great idea. Just weigh up the courses like I said...I think is best.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
MissMatched Offline
Average Joe

Name: Shelley

Re: What do you do when nobody stands behind your choices? - October 29th 2010, 12:44 PM

Taking a break is always helpful. So many people from my highschool, the ones with the top grades and study ethics and what-not went to university (college for you) straight away and then dropped out very quickly, realising it wasn't what they wanted. Second semester or a year later they had enough time in the real world and to themselves to realise what they wanted.
I took a year off and still had no idea, so I went with what you are thinking about and picked 4 completely different subjects that sounded interesting. It's been great, and now I know where to go from here.

It is extremely difficult, I get that, but ultimately you have to do what is best for you, do what you want. It's your life, they may or may not understand, but maybe they can see how important it is to you? If not, do it anyway, if that's what you want, you are the one that has to live with it.

http://teddyeddieelley.blogspot.com/
When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl anymore, you find someone to carry you.

Closed Thread