TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ishallovercome Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Motivation for work - October 29th 2010, 06:16 PM

right i have a ton of work to do for monday, essays and research but for years i've had a problem of 'procrastination' i just dont see any point in doing the work but i know its to get my alevels and i should see it through till may where i leave with alevels (hopefully) but i just leave it till last minute to do work and i really got to stop doing this or ill fail the year, i've had depression for years and im on citalopram to raise my moods but i can never see a point in doing any of this work and get angry, frustrated and hopeless over it.

i think it may be due to the teachers putting us down over our work so i feel i should go against them but then i always do the work.

so i was wondering if anyone has tips on getting motivated and doing my work in time and properly?

thank you

(#2 (permalink)) Old
ForeverAutumn* Offline
together, we are infinite.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Motivation for work - October 30th 2010, 12:08 AM

Time management helps a lot.. try setting aside specific times of day to get work done, for example right after you get home from school / college or after dinner. Taking breaks in between assignments helps as well - work until you get one assignment done, then take a 15-30 minute break, then back to work. The important thing is not to go over however much time you give yourself for a break.

Shutting off the internet (if you don't need it) could be a major help since things like facebook, email, and IM can be super distracting. If you can't turn your internet off, ask a friend to change your passwords to the sites you frequent (just until you get your work done). Or put blocks on your internet so you can only access certain websites.

It's tough getting work done with depression, but honestly you just need to force yourself through it. The best thing you can do is stay on top of your work, because once you establish a habit of getting work done right away you won't be as tempted to procrastinate, even if you are feeling low.

Hope this helps.

how could anyone ever tell you, you are anything less than beautiful?| PM Me
self-harm free since 06.10.11.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Motivation for work - October 30th 2010, 01:28 AM

Erm, not sure whether this counts as 'good advice' but it always worked for me: thinking about what a failure I will be if I don't get the grades I need/want... esp not because I tried my hardest and still didn't get them but if I only didn't achieve what I wanted to because I was "dossing about" etc... and how my life will suck (have you got a Uni offer, have you applied to Uni and need certain grades, or got certain expectations for yourself, etc etc..)

I had a similar thing around this time last year though. Not sure what it was about but I pushed through. Set weekly goals for yourself, like homework and extra work you will do for each class. DOING THE SET WORK IS NOT ENOUGH TO GET GOOD GRADES FOR A LEVELS.

(RAH) + (AH) + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA) + OOH + (LA) = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

Last edited by her_beautiful_mistake; October 30th 2010 at 10:38 AM.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Release9 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Motivation for work - October 30th 2010, 04:38 AM

Okay...so what I do after I come home is the following:
I eat dinner, take a 30-minute break, and begin. I also motivate myself by promising myself something special after each assignment (computer time+5-minute break) This has always worked for me!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lotus Eater Offline
You are not alone.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Motivation for work - October 30th 2010, 05:14 AM

I also find that studying/getting together to study with a friend actually helps. You don't have to be working on the same assignment or subject. I just find that having a friend there will help with keeping you motivated. They can help you stay on track and you can do the same for them. You'll have to keep these study sessions going regularly, but if it helps you it's worth it.

You have me.
Until every last star in the galaxy dies.
You have me.

- Amie Kaufman

NEED TO VENT? CLICK HERE.
Never forget, you are not alone. ♥

(#6 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Motivation for work - October 30th 2010, 10:38 AM

^ I'm glad that works for you but on the flip side it's disastrous for me because we just chat :/

(RAH) + (AH) + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA) + OOH + (LA) = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Release9 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Motivation for work - October 30th 2010, 07:11 PM

Trust me, you're not the only one.
My homework load is horrible and I am beyond stressed!

Closed Thread