TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
rednailpolish92 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Katie

Question How should I choose my college? - October 31st 2010, 04:10 AM

Ive narrowed down my college search to 5 colleges, 2 of which are at the top of the list, fighting for a spot on #1. i cant decided between the two. one is a great school... its just the right distance away from home and itll give me the college experience and education i want. the problem is that it is a giant camous, alomst 50,000 students, and that scares me. im afriad i wont fit in, and i wont meet people. but i really want that opportunity to grow and meet new people to hang out with. on the other hand, college #2, i KNOW ill know people who go there, and a lot of my friends are going there next year. BUT, it wont give me that college experience i want, and i really dont want to be completely surrounded by people i know. i want a fresh start... a clean slate. should i choose a safe college with all of my friends, or take a risk??????

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Steph

Re: How should I choose my college? - October 31st 2010, 04:24 AM

I say take the risk.

I go to a campus with 40,000+ students and I've been able to meet people/get involved just fine. It's a huge amount of people, but you can definitely still have that rounded college experience. Plus most of the time, all 50,000 won't be on campus and it'll have a "small" campus feel.
  Send a message via MSN to Pandamonium  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Jenna Peterson Offline
Average Joe

Name: Jenna

Re: How should I choose my college? - October 31st 2010, 10:44 PM

I also say take the risk. If you're not the type who jumps in and makes friends easily, then you'll have the same difficulty in a small school if you're among strangers. Your second option means you'd be entering with friends, but keep in mind that you'll all be taking different classes, meeting different people, heading toward different goals, and so you can't guarantee that you'll all stick together as tightly as you did in high school.

If the bigger school is going to give you the experience you want, and you choose the smaller school because it's "safe" in terms of friendships, you will regret it. You'll always wonder what it would have been like to attend the bigger school.

Besides, you said it yourself, you want a fresh start. You won't get that surrounded by the same people you've known for the last 4+ years.

The walls are high, the walls are strong
I've been trapped in this castle that I built for far too long
You have surrounded me, a sea on every side
The cracks are forming and I've got no where to hide
  Send a message via AIM to Jenna Peterson Send a message via MSN to Jenna Peterson Send a message via Yahoo to Jenna Peterson  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Laura

Re: How should I choose my college? - November 7th 2010, 04:49 PM

I'd say take the risk. My college is big, but you can make it small by joining different groups, and hanging out with people in your dorm or your major.

Closed Thread