TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
lovelife608 Offline
Not a n00b

Unhappy School + Health problems... ? help. stressing... - November 5th 2010, 07:32 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I've been sick for like 4 years with some very serious things. I had surgery, i've had many procedures done, i've had cat scans done, MRI'S, Xrays, Blood drawn, IV fluids, etc. Gone to the ER, Urgent Care and In and Out of doctors appointments. I haven't been at school all a lot, but i was looking online at my grade for math, and it said i was @ a C so i thought hey thats okay for when i've been gone. My teacher emailed me today, telling me (because i switched classes- math teachers) and they averaged out my grade, and its a D- now. I'm in such shock, Like thats going to look so horrible for college, AND on top of that, the "grade book" is closed.. so i can no longer get my grade up... I have a lot of doctor excuses, etc. and what am i going to do when i go to college, what are they going to think about that?!?

sorry stressing to the max..

(#2 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: School + Health problems... ? help. stressing... - November 5th 2010, 07:38 PM

Hey there.

I'm really sorry you have been going through this. I would like to say that I am glad you are still caring about your grades. A lot of people would more then likely just give up if they were in your shoes. I am glad you haven't given up.

To fix your grade. You can always retake the course in summer school, or again the next year/semester. If that doesn't work, when you fill out a college app, they most times have you do an essay. If you get to choose the topic, let them know of your illness, and how that has affected you. They will then see the reflection upon the grades and essay. Colleges really look for people who stand out.

Good luck dear.

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
lovelife608 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: School + Health problems... ? help. stressing... - November 5th 2010, 07:56 PM

thank you so much.
that really means a lot.
its just difficult..
& i you think that if i write in my application about my illness and get letter of rec. that that'll help?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Release9 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: School + Health problems... ? help. stressing... - November 6th 2010, 06:26 PM

Don't worry about it...and I admire your fighting spirit.
Yes, I think if you write about your illness and a letter of recommendation, then at least 2 or 3 colleges will accept you.
I am ill a lot as well, but I go to school still...last February I missed around 15 days of school with doctor's appointments.
Good Work!!!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: School + Health problems... ? help. stressing... - November 6th 2010, 07:54 PM

I'm in university and they're not going to be terribly worried if one of your grades is down compared to the others. I don't know what grade of school you're in but if it's not senior year, most places aren't going to care. They'll receive the grades but it's not of much concern to them. If you did have medical reasons for being absent, your grades shouldn't be decreasing. Try a summer school course because if the grade for that course is higher, although the first grade will be shown on the academic record, the higher one will be the one that counts.

In university, it will be different because assigned homework questions often aren't marked. If you miss a test, one of three things can happen. First, you do not do a make-up test but the weight of that test is transferred to the next test. I've had this happen to me a few times and the test content is the same as everyone else's, only instead of being worth, say, 20%, it's worth say 40%. Second, you get to do a make-up test and for some courses, the make-up test is harder although it shouldn't be, sometimes professors do this since you get extra time to study. Third, you get neither and it's a zero. You'll find though that the process involves more bureaucracy so handing in a doctor's note won't work, you often need to fill out a form, have the doctor fill some of it out, attach the note, etc... . You also don't hand it into the professor because it goes to the department of the course and they decide if you are allowed to re-write, have weight transferred or neither.

Depending on your illness, you can mention it for disability (or whatever the place calls it).

But I was in a similar situation as you were. I missed about 2 weeks of class for third-year university courses and 1 second year course. In the process, I missed 2 tests and 1 I got to re-write while the other is still in processing as to whether I'll get the weight transferred or not. It sucks and it's worrisome but if worse comes to worse, do summer courses.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Closed Thread