TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
blueyes90 Offline
Trying not to break.....
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: DK

Unhappy How to tell them I want to come home.... - November 13th 2010, 08:11 AM

So here's the situation. I'm 20 years old, living with my parents when I'm not living in the college dorms. At the university I'm attending (one of the largest in my state), we've had six bomb threats in the past three weeks. They've all proven to be hoaxes so far, thank God, but I'm worried about what happens if they cease to be hoaxes.....

I have severe panic disorder that has caused me numerous problems in the past, and I used to self-harm as an outlet for that anxiety. My parents know about the anxiety and the self-harm and try to be as understanding as possible.

A representative from the school said that if we wanted to leave (as in go home and leave campus), we'd have to get ahold of an academic office (name withheld for safety reasons) and our professors. All of my classes are online, except one - which shouldn't be a problem (My professor is awesome).

My Question is how should I let my parents know that I'd like to come home (an hour away from the university) until the person making these threats is caught? I've already told my mom that if he/she/they made one more threat, I'd be coming home - but I don't want to wait any longer. The stress of this whole situation is making me physically ill - I'd prefer to be at home. How should I bring this up to my parents?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: How to tell them I want to come home.... - November 13th 2010, 11:40 AM

Just tell them that you've been thinking about it and it's been a hard decision to make but the stress is extremely hard for the reasons about the panic disorder they know of. Tell them you can do the work online for the courses so you wouldn't be dropping out of university just because of hoaxes. Also, explain that one time, it may not be a hoax, which is what is worrying you and it should worry them too a bit. Don't worry over feeling anxious to tell them, they'll understand knowing your anxiety disorder plus it may show them just how much of a toll being at campus with the hoaxes have taken on you.

I haven't ever done online courses but I would assume you need to do at least final exams in-person. Try to explain that by then, hopefully the hoaxes are over and there hasn't been a real bomb. It could also make things easier by not having to do 1-hour drives.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Closed Thread