TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Dedalus Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Joe

Classics or Medicine? - November 21st 2010, 11:47 PM

I think this will be my last thread on this, because you're all probably bored of listening to me about this. But I've had a bit of an advancement on options since last week...and this is generally a thing where I try and clear things out in my mind because its all fucked about inside my head.

I have two options:

1. MSt in Greek and/or Latin Language & Literature at Oxford
2. Medicine

I've decided rather vainly and conceitedly, in my mind, that I won't settle for an MA anywhere else other than Oxford. If I don't get in then I'm not going to exceed and lead a rewarding life in the Liberal Arts, because if you're not at the top end then arts doesn't really go anywhere unfortunately. This probably relates more to Classics than any other arts degree considering that Classics in its broadest sense is rather useless on a whole in anything other than journalism. However, my aspirations would be to lecture, and certainly become an Associate Professor, contribute to the various journals and be involved in the British Insitute for Hellenic Studies. There are other various opportunities such as the Foriegn Office and cruise boat guides that seem only to be the reserve of Oxbridge graduates.

Secondly, I've already seen the power that having an Oxford degree, particularly postgraduate, wields - and I haven't even got it. Companies, academic courses, organisations and institutions are dying to have you because it reflects well on them to claim they have an Oxford graduate. I would imagine that you'd walk into jobs and throug interviews purely on that facet. The second thing is that having a Classics degree, though rather useless, is one of the most respected degrees (I think its because of its old-fashionedness) and that is magnified with Oxford. There's one man I know who did a BA in Classics at Oxford and got his MA and is now running an Insurance firm.

However, I think I scored well enough to be offered a place in graduate entry medicine next year. I got just above the minimum score that last years applicants needed for my current university and there's no interviews. Its not good enough to get into the Royal College of Surgeons, but my university will almost certainly be accepting that score considering the required score is lilely to go down due to an increase in places for next year.

In addition to this, the lecturers in my school of classics reckon I'll get a place in Oxford. I'm on a First at the moment, but they reckon a high 2:1 will be the offer I'll get - and most of them have gone to Oxford. I'm a lot more sceptical due to various reasons. My supervisor, I think, thought there was a decent chance I'd get in until I sent him my statement of purpose for him to review and now he's absolutely positive, because I've written in it about stuff I've had published in newspapers, other research and stuff pending publication. My supervisor and another three lecturers have told me I'll be offered the place.

Its a little bit scary to be honest. I personally think I'd be offered a place at Oxford after I've finished my degree and my transcripts look a lot tidier and have better grades from this year.

I'm stuck at a crossroads. I've taken medical modules and I've really enjoyed them. I've done a bit of work in hospitals and enjoyed and I think I'd love a career in medicine, because it seems very social and extremely intense. The time at university seems more enjoyable than for arts and there's an active social life when doing medicine that involves the whole class. I'd like the intensity of the course.

But I know in my heart of hearts that I am a classicist. Classics is a wonderful degree, it encompasses all of the liberal arts from sociology to political science, art history to literature; Its very rewarding to learn. And if I went on and did medicine I know, no matter how much I enjoyed it, I'd always think I enjoyed Classics more and would be pining to write an essay on how Ulysses is an atypical hero or something of that sort. I love my degree and I love Classics.

I don't know what road to go down. I'll apply to both, but what will I do? I think I'd excel in Classics and end up lecturing at a university as well as trying my hand in other things, but with medicine I'd get an intense and rewarding career. I think I'd make a fairly good surgeon or GP - certainly not an anaethetist or anything like that; and I'd still hope to end up lecturing with medicine. There was a lecturer for a medical genetics module I had who researched, practised and lectured - how amazing and rewarding a career is that? I would love that.

I want to do both Classics and Medicine. The man over the graduate course in medicine, who I know, said I could defer the medicine course for a year while I do my 1 year MSt (he also said they'd be really happy to have an Oxford Masters in Classics on the course - so maybe that his motive and he's thinking for himself)...but how much debt will that leave me in???

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Classics or Medicine? - November 22nd 2010, 03:51 AM

Get a Bachelors in Classics... then go to law school.

Masters in Classics is useless. Arts degree's are useless unless u use it as platform to get into law.

Medicine at the masters level isnt as useful as what you might think... U should atleast get it at the doctorates level. whether it is a Ph.D, MD or a different specalized one. (other than the less respected medicine degrees like naturalpath, chiro).

There isnt alot of lecturing jobs out their for classics...

Classic Professors are one of the lowest paid ones in North America. Im not sure what it is like in the UK. But the rule of thumb is.... if it requires math and the professional profession is highly paid... then their will be a shortage for professors for that field.

IE: Engineering, Accounting, Medicine ect...

For example the entry level Accounting Professor makes 100,000 on average in Canada and in the US. Cuz there is a severe shortage. Because smart accountants makes tonnes of money by saving money... and they dont want to do a phd or a masters because they will lose the oppurunity to make money.

Accountants need a Bachelor and a professiional qualifcaion(ie Chartered Accountant it takes 2-3 years to earn and paid by their employer)

Last edited by Tomb; November 22nd 2010 at 03:57 AM.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Classics or Medicine? - November 22nd 2010, 08:01 AM

It seems your heart is set on classics more than medicine so take the best of both worlds: defer the medicine for one year while you learn more of the classics. If it turns out you detest it, then you have something to fall back on - medicine. However, if you love it and do well in it, then you could stick with it. Go for what you want and it seems you like classics a bit more. Remember the practical aspect of it though, you may not get as much pay or employment for classics, whereas medicine has more.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Dedalus Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Classics or Medicine? - November 22nd 2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb View Post
Get a Bachelors in Classics... then go to law school.

Masters in Classics is useless. Arts degree's are useless unless u use it as platform to get into law.

Medicine at the masters level isnt as useful as what you might think... U should atleast get it at the doctorates level. whether it is a Ph.D, MD or a different specalized one. (other than the less respected medicine degrees like naturalpath, chiro).

There isnt alot of lecturing jobs out their for classics...

Classic Professors are one of the lowest paid ones in North America. Im not sure what it is like in the UK. But the rule of thumb is.... if it requires math and the professional profession is highly paid... then their will be a shortage for professors for that field.

IE: Engineering, Accounting, Medicine ect...

For example the entry level Accounting Professor makes 100,000 on average in Canada and in the US. Cuz there is a severe shortage. Because smart accountants makes tonnes of money by saving money... and they dont want to do a phd or a masters because they will lose the oppurunity to make money.

Accountants need a Bachelor and a professiional qualifcaion(ie Chartered Accountant it takes 2-3 years to earn and paid by their employer)
I'll hopefully have a First in BA Archaeology and Classics jnt major by May.

The Classics lecturers here certainly seem to get by well enough - in excess of 80,000 euros each, I believe. But I'm not in it for the money.

The medicine course I might take is not a graduate course - its a graduate entry course, i.e. a 4 year course that is a bachelors degree designed for graduate students and is the equivalent of the standard 6 years bachelor course for school leavers. If I take it I would have the same degree as any normal undergrad medical student with the exact same opportunities afterwards.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: Classics or Medicine? - November 23rd 2010, 05:29 AM

Two paragraphs on medicine and about ten on classics... take my cheesy advice and "follow your heart, man!"

From a rational perspective, it seems that you have a stronger base and better opportunities in classics. I'm not sure what you meant by the "graduate entry course" -- is continuing education required after this? I think it's great that you're not making the decision based on money, which in my opinion is an overrated consideration these days.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Dedalus Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Classics or Medicine? - November 23rd 2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost On The Highway View Post
Two paragraphs on medicine and about ten on classics... take my cheesy advice and "follow your heart, man!"

From a rational perspective, it seems that you have a stronger base and better opportunities in classics. I'm not sure what you meant by the "graduate entry course" -- is continuing education required after this? I think it's great that you're not making the decision based on money, which in my opinion is an overrated consideration these days.
graduate entry medicine is a 4 year undergraduate course designed for people with a degree in any discipline (this varies in England) who have achieved at least a 2:1 in a bachelors. It is the exact same as the standard 6/7 year course designed for school leavers, but is shorted by 2/3 years because it is for graduates.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Classics or Medicine? - November 24th 2010, 10:40 PM

Standard undergraduate course is 5 years. It is only 6 with intercalation which is far from the norm. It is never 7.

Do classics. It's obvious you want to do it.

oh, and I wouldn't say people are tired of your threads. They're just SO long. Learn to summarise!

(RAH) + (AH) + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA) + OOH + (LA) = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Dedalus Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Classics or Medicine? - November 24th 2010, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by her_beautiful_mistake View Post
Standard undergraduate course is 5 years. It is only 6 with intercalation which is far from the norm. It is never 7.

Do classics. It's obvious you want to do it.

oh, and I wouldn't say people are tired of your threads. They're just SO long. Learn to summarise!
I was hoping you'd reply. Its 6/7 years in Ireland.

Closed Thread