TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Got It All Now
Not a n00b

Name: Amanda

Final Week of Class and stressed!!! - December 8th 2010, 05:28 PM

Okay soooo It's the final week of classes for the semester and up until now I wasn't really stressed because my exams were pretty good and they all we spaced out okay...

MY Ecology class (one class which I HAVE to pass) was suppose to run Dec. 18th to the 22nd
My Genetics class is Dec. 16th
Chemistry is Dec. 18th
and psychology is from Dec. 13 to 21st.

So i was going to start with psychology because its the easier class, and get it out of the way on Monday, study for genetics Tuesday and Wednesday and write it Thursday. Thursday and Friday for Chemistry and the rest of the time for ecology (since its the hardest class and was suppose to be that week).

Well this morning the prof of ecology decided he didn't wanna be at the university till the 22nd, and decided that he was going to change it to run from the 14th to the 18th.... So now i am stressed because really I have never had to deal with 3 tests with in 5 days of each other (yes i have been studying previously but still...)

Because i had a little time this weekend, i planed a party for my roommates birthday (not really a party, just a few of us getting together, renting a few Christmas movies and making ginger bread houses) And now its to late to cancel it, so it takes a good 6 to 7 hours out of my study schedule that has been altered completely....

Okay so i know i am being a baby about it, but i am already failing 2 classes and i don't know how to deal with my stress...

(Plus things just are weird between me and my boyfriend, and its another problem on my mind.)

I have lost all motivation that I had to finish this semester. SO any advice would be very much appreciated.. maybe any ideas on any different study advice...

I know bad to wait last minute =(

Thank you IN advanced
  Send a message via MSN to NeverFeltThisWay1991 Send a message via Yahoo to NeverFeltThisWay1991  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Release9 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Final Week of Class and stressed!!! - December 9th 2010, 02:25 AM

Study tips that I use include:
1) Motivate yourself. When I study, I tell myself that if I study for x amount of minutes REALLY hard, I can use the computer for an equivalent period.
2) Do your studying in blocks. Don't study for more than 45 minutes at a stretch. If you do, you won't remember anything.
3) Write a short summary without looking at your notes. I don't like this one...I'm so lazy, but it really improves retainment.
4) Don't sit all day. Go do something fun...or even better, study while your walking or biking (if possible).
And...I'm really sorry for what you're going through. I'm stressed as well because I have finals next week. AND my parents are beating me up even more and forcing me to clean EVERYTHING each day. I spend about 15 minutes in the morning trying to hide the bruises, cuts, and split lips.
I really hope this helps!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
kitkat_kate Offline
Average Joe

Name: Katie

Re: Final Week of Class and stressed!!! - December 9th 2010, 04:25 PM

I know how tough it is when you find yourself lacking motivation at the end of the semester. I, too, feel as though I have already checked out and my final exams all happen next week. Granted, I'm a music major, so most of my finals are performance based, and what I need to do more than study for them is practice.

Still, not wanting to do it is rough.

Even though you have a lot of tests coming at one time, take a few deep breaths. I find to-do lists to be really helpful. Write out each class and what you have to do...and the approximate amount of time you can dedicate to it. Then, if you have a planner, plug those things in. Keep your list on you so you can chip away at it when you have extra time. And, most importantly, make sure to mark things when you're done! Seeing what you've accomplished can truly help make it feel like you've gotten more done, thus motivating you to continue.

Practice those good study habits. Review your notes. Just take a few deep breaths. If you've worked all semester, you'll be fine. As for your friend's party - ENJOY IT! These years are to be the best. Don't let yourself be so stressed that you can't enjoy time with friends. That break will give you a chance to get away from your books.

Sleep well. Eat right. Generally take care of yourself. Sometimes, that helps more.

I know at my school, it's technically against the rules for teachers to change final exam dates/times without permission from a superior. You could always check into that and see if you could get it changed back, too. It just depends on how much it has upset you.

Hope you get through it! I know you can. If you need an year, you can PM me.

i am not my scars and my history
i am, i am, i am who i am...i am who i am.
there are true things inside of me;
i have been afraid to see.

Send a message via MSN to kitkat_kate Send a message via Skype™ to kitkat_kate 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Got It All Now
Not a n00b

Name: Amanda

Re: Final Week of Class and stressed!!! - December 9th 2010, 05:09 PM

Thank you for all the advice. I think it was the way I was feeling yesterday that made it seem like the world was going to end. I have had to deal with more than one exam before, granted it was midterms but it was the same.

as for motivation... i haven't had any all semester and it just hasn't come back. Oh well I will find something to motivate me.

Thank you for the advice again.

Ps having coffee right before finding out the news didn't help a lot either
  Send a message via MSN to NeverFeltThisWay1991 Send a message via Yahoo to NeverFeltThisWay1991  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
thefirstlady Offline
Average Joe

Name: Morgan

Re: Final Week of Class and stressed!!! - December 9th 2010, 07:09 PM

I don't really have any advice but I know how you feel! I have to do 22 things for one class by 9am tomorrow, finish a 4-5 page paper for another, and come up with a powerpoint presentation for my Spanish class. All due tomorrow! I don't know how I'm going to do it all.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
esfdhtfy Offline
Dream Big
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Joseph S.

Re: Final Week of Class and stressed!!! - December 12th 2010, 03:48 AM

I feel your pain, haha. I have two big exams on Monday and then two more later in the week. University sucks, eh?

Well, all I can tell you is make the best of your situation. Enjoy your roommate's party and use it as a study break. I don't know how much studying you can handle; everyone has different limits. For example, for the last six days, I've put in ~16 hours of studying per day. I don't know many people who could do that without going completely insane so you really need to work in a way that works for you.

Other than that, SLEEP. Don't pull all-nighters, especially the day before the exam(s) because that's just bad business. If you have close friends in your classes, maybe you can form a study group and study with them? Sometimes it's helpful, sometimes it's not. Take a deep breath because stressing about it will only make things worse.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do well.

SUP BRO.

Closed Thread