TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Freakshow Offline
Average Joe

College rejection - December 12th 2010, 03:02 AM

I'm currently a senior in high school, and I applied to 12 different schools on both the East and West Coasts, as well as in Canada (U of T). Among these was Stanford, which has a Restrictive Early Action program that essentially allows you to be notified of your admissions decision earlier.

So yesterday, I logged onto my email and saw that I'd been outright rejected. I knew I'd been a qualified candidate, so I was expecting a fair chance at being deferred to the regular round or even... dare I say... accepted. But, well, things just have a funny way of working out sometimes, and Stanford is a CRAZY school that rejects a TON of insanely qualified people every year, so I'm not feeling let down just yet!

March and April is when the rest of my college decisions come in, and I have a feeling I'll have much better luck then.

...I just felt like posting this because I felt like telling people for some odd reason. Oh well.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
esfdhtfy Offline
Dream Big
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Joseph S.

Re: College rejection - December 12th 2010, 03:38 AM

Good luck The waiting game is just not fun for anybody. I live in Canada and our acceptances don't come out until ~February(ish), which sucked because I have no patience whatsoever. But then when February came along, I got all five of my acceptances within the first three weeks in February Things do manage to work out.

Good luck and stay positive!

SUP BRO.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: College rejection - December 12th 2010, 05:20 AM

I attend UofT and they are accepting more new students than before, especially with the Erindale campus having new buildings and a teaching hospital, so keep your hopes up high. Plus, UofT has an enormous population. Which campus are you applying to?

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Freakshow Offline
Average Joe

Re: College rejection - December 12th 2010, 05:46 AM

I'm applying to the main campus (St. George), which is perhaps the most difficult to gain admission to. Still, my major is pretty rare (linguistics), so I don't think my chances would be so bad.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
esfdhtfy Offline
Dream Big
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Joseph S.

Re: College rejection - December 12th 2010, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOW!USaidSomethingSmart! View Post
I attend UofT and they are accepting more new students than before, especially with the Erindale campus having new buildings and a teaching hospital, so keep your hopes up high. Plus, UofT has an enormous population. Which campus are you applying to?
You go to UofT? UTSG? That's awesome. Yeah, my family lives near Toronto so my high school literally fed into universities like York, UofT, and Ryerson. I know a lot of people who got into UofT (even UTSG) and aren't the sharpest tools in the shed, to put it nicely.

SUP BRO.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Prof.Engrish Offline
愛してる
Senior TeenHelper

Re: College rejection - December 12th 2010, 09:32 AM

urghh, the wait. I hated that..haha

Well good luck, I just got admitted into Embry and Riddle in Daytona Beach, Florida. Even when I suffered a severe grade drop, I'm grateful I got accepted. Now how to pay for it?

"This is 10% Luck, 20% Skill, 15% Concentrated Power of Will, 5% Pleasure, 15% Pain; And a 100% reason to remember the name!"
Buddy/Live Help Operator/Technology and Gaming & Current Event and Debates Forum Moderator
PM/VM
  Send a message via AIM to Prof.Engrish  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Name: Kyle

Re: College rejection - December 12th 2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakshow View Post
I'm currently a senior in high school, and I applied to 12 different schools on both the East and West Coasts, as well as in Canada (U of T). Among these was Stanford, which has a Restrictive Early Action program that essentially allows you to be notified of your admissions decision earlier.

So yesterday, I logged onto my email and saw that I'd been outright rejected. I knew I'd been a qualified candidate, so I was expecting a fair chance at being deferred to the regular round or even... dare I say... accepted. But, well, things just have a funny way of working out sometimes, and Stanford is a CRAZY school that rejects a TON of insanely qualified people every year, so I'm not feeling let down just yet!

March and April is when the rest of my college decisions come in, and I have a feeling I'll have much better luck then.

...I just felt like posting this because I felt like telling people for some odd reason. Oh well.
It's good that you aren't sweating it. I had 6 friends apply to Stanford all 2200+ on SATs except for one, and only one of them got in. She had perfect scores and everything, but the thing that put her over the top was that she has been in the news for horseback riding nationally or some shit.

"We will ask nothing. We will demand nothing. We will take." -- May 1968, French Graffiti

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Freakshow Offline
Average Joe

Re: College rejection - December 12th 2010, 05:19 PM

Yeah, that's exactly what I mean when I say that Stanford rejects tons of insanely qualified people. I'm sure your other 5 friends who didn't get accepted ended up at fantastic colleges!

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Hiraeth Offline
Glorious raindrops
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: College rejection - December 13th 2010, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOW!USaidSomethingSmart! View Post
Oh-oh-oh me too!

I'm at St. George. You'd be surprised at some of the people they let in here. Or maybe that's just me, who's been a study-aholic for most of my letter-grade receiving life. From what I've seen of general requirements anyhow, getting into a top university in Canada is exponentially easier than its equivalent in the US.

I got my acceptance in April, as did a lot of folks that applied with me - it might be different for international applicants - but there you go, a heads up.

Good luck!
  Send a message via Skype™ to Hiraeth 
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: College rejection - December 14th 2010, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleMustang View Post

You go to UofT? UTSG? That's awesome. Yeah, my family lives near Toronto so my high school literally fed into universities like York, UofT, and Ryerson. I know a lot of people who got into UofT (even UTSG) and aren't the sharpest tools in the shed, to put it nicely.
I've been to the downtown campus and perhaps I'll do more courses there but I study mostly at the Erindale campus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakshow View Post
I'm applying to the main campus (St. George), which is perhaps the most difficult to gain admission to. Still, my major is pretty rare (linguistics), so I don't think my chances would be so bad.
Linguistics? I've taken a course that involving that but I don't think it's a big department so it may be easier to get into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisada View Post
Oh-oh-oh me too!

I'm at St. George. You'd be surprised at some of the people they let in here. Or maybe that's just me, who's been a study-aholic for most of my letter-grade receiving life. From what I've seen of general requirements anyhow, getting into a top university in Canada is exponentially easier than its equivalent in the US.

I got my acceptance in April, as did a lot of folks that applied with me - it might be different for international applicants - but there you go, a heads up.

Good luck!
I'm mostly at the Erindale campus and yeah, some of the people who I've seen at Erindale campus I questioned how they got in and how they manage to stay in. I know one person, used to be a friend but I won't get into that story and he failed 2 courses, tried them again, failed one of them again and dropped out of the other one as it was hopeless. Third time for both he managed to pass with around a 60-65%. Those were all for full-credit courses. He's managed to stay in, I'm not entirely sure how but he has.

I assume you're in 1st year so although you may have not chosen your program, what areas are you interested in?

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Hiraeth Offline
Glorious raindrops
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: College rejection - December 14th 2010, 06:22 AM

Despite the jumbo of incongruousness I wrote on your wall, I'm actually a prospective geology major. :P I came in thinking (for the life of me, I can't remember just how or why on earth) that I was going to listen to mommy dearest and go into finance. I'll have to do an extra year to make up for that little mistake, but oh well, that's okay.

On a more related note, I've never checked what program area linguistics would be listed under - but I do know that they process applications by program area rather than the specific program. However, given the structure of the Faculty of Arts and Science at UTSG, there's absolutely nothing stopping an applicant from applying to a program area with the lowest entering average, and taking completely unrelated courses -> continuing with their intended [completely unrelated] major. What program area you're admitted into means little to nothing post-admission - at least, in this little corner of the university.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Hiraeth 
Closed Thread