TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
lovetakesoverr Offline
Average Joe

Name: Haylen

College Major - January 10th 2011, 09:27 PM

I'm really interested in Psychology, although I haven't taken the course in school yet. Maybe I'll have a better idea once I take the course but..I'm kind of scared to learn about psychology. I'm scared to try and take peoples problems and turn them into something good. I don't know if I can handle it personally, even though it really interests me and I would love to help people. This may be confusing, as it is for me. But does anyone have any idea what I mean? Help is much appreciated<3

But those sequins on her dress.. boy, they threw you over the edge.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: College Major - January 11th 2011, 01:17 PM

Hey Haylen, I know what you mean. I'm graduating in May with a B.S. in Psychology. Intro courses aren't that bad and you don't have to major in it if you decide you don't like it or can't handle it. Actually I'm finding out that if you want to be a counselor all you need is a bachelor's degree in almost anything and 2-3 years of graduate school in counseling. I kind of wish I'd known that years ago, I might've majored in Sociology instead to avoid having to do a thesis and History & Systems which is A LOT of work. It's really up to you. It's not that I regret majoring in it, it's more like in any major, especially when you already know what you want to do, you'll have required courses that you won't understand why you need them. Also, be ready if you do major in it to write research papers for the next 4 years, even if you never plan to do any research. Sorry about the ranting, hope this helped.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: College Major - January 11th 2011, 04:36 PM

Hey (: I'm in a similar position, although through the degree I'm doing in college you can only get psychology as a minor. It's my favourite subject and I love it, but I completely understand what you mean about taking on other people's problems; whether it might be too much to handle. But although a lot of people think studying psychology automatically leads you to counselling, it's not necessarily true ~ there are so many other pathways you can take with psychology. I'd go into more detail if I knew more myself to be honest, I'm still looking into what area I want to go into But you may find when you study psychology that one particular area may appeal to you the most and it mightn't necessarily be about directly helping other people with their problems.

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Halo345 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: College Major - January 11th 2011, 06:42 PM

I'm in a bit of a rush so this might not seem like much, but please do read it.
I would suggest that you shoud try to become a mentor and see what it's like. Weather it be with TH, the YMCA, local church, etc... it will give you a good idea of what you will face, give you experience and something very positive to write on a college/job app.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
lovetakesoverr Offline
Average Joe

Name: Haylen

Re: College Major - January 11th 2011, 08:03 PM

Thanks guys, this made me feel a lot better actually
I'll keep considering it, and maybe try it out.

But those sequins on her dress.. boy, they threw you over the edge.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: College Major - January 12th 2011, 04:40 AM

I got into psychology for a different reason but I am also finishing up my degree next year (5 years). There are different routes in psychology you can take. For mine, there's no psychotherapy or any of that stuff. I study psychology from a purely biological view, so it includes brain-damage, brain-based birth disorders, addictions (psychological and physiological), basic evolutionary behaviours (i.e. sex drive, hunger, thirst), perception of sensory information, cognitive studies, research on how the brain works, neuroimaging, neuroendocrinology and so forth. When you study it in an intro course, neuroscience isn't really introduced in a lot, it's about the level of a high-school biology course although I'm sure there are variations across professors.

So you'd see some of the same patients as you would for counselling psychology or common ones on the psychiatric wards in hospitals in addition to many you'd never see, such as "motion blindness" (name sounds exactly as how it's presented), whereas others you may see as well as in neuropsychology would be de Clerambault's Syndrome during psychosis.

There's a lot of other fields in psychology too, like health psychology, forensic psychology (I did some of it, very very interesting but may need a strong stomach than for any other form of psychology), child psychology, gerontology, etc... . Many people on these forms have taken courses in many of the types of psychology I mentioned and ones I didn't mention, so if you're uncertain on a certain type, ask here if you want.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Theoretical Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Meagan R.

Re: College Major - January 13th 2011, 05:49 AM

Yeah, like others have said, you definitely don't have to do any clinical psych if that's not your thing.

I would strongly encourage you to look up the class schedule at a nearby college and drop in on a few classes that seem interesting to you. It's a great way to get an idea of what you might want to do someday.

When I was thinking about majoring in psych while I was in HS, I took it upon myself to find some well-liked psych professors and email them. Their insight was very valuable and talking to them definitely helped me get an idea of what the study of psychology really is about.

For general info about the requirements of a psych major, try emailing someone at a university's advisement office.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
esfdhtfy Offline
Dream Big
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Joseph S.

Re: College Major - January 14th 2011, 03:04 PM

I'm currently in first year of my undergrad in university and I'm in first year Psychology. Lately, I've figured out that an Honours Specialization in either Psychology or Neuroscience is what I'm going to pursue.

My advice is this: Take first year Psychology. At most, if not all universities/colleges, there is only one first year Psychology course - and it's the general introduction course. Here, you will have many different types of people - many, many of them with no interest in further pursuing Psychology.

Take this course, which usually has very high enrolment and it probably one of the most popular courses in the entire school. Get a feel for what Psychology is and how it's studied. Use this experience to see how you feel about studying Psychology. An introduction course won't go too in depth so I think it's a pretty safe way to see whether you can handle it or not.

Good luck.

SUP BRO.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: College Major - January 28th 2011, 03:16 AM

I personally didn't like the idea of doing psychology after I was in the program so I switched. At one of the largest campuses in the USA, it is either the first or the second most popular undergrad major so there is a lot of competition for the graduate spots. Plus I wasn't sure if it was something I actually wanted to do.

Future Medic and Infectious Disease Nurse. Current EMT-B and Volunteer Fire Fighter.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: College Major - February 3rd 2011, 03:33 AM

Psych is a fun course to take..

But i strongly recommend against taking it as a major. (im sure to hear a huge backlash...) Think about it.. what kind of jobs can you get with it? at the bachelors level??? I know some people with a psych degree who are now sales people. I seen people taking easy degrees like international business and when i see them after work they looked embarrased to see me...

I have a Bach. in Accounting. Currently im doing accounting... and I got my job in less than 2 days for a major independent restaurant chain(after i applied, so i got my job 4 months before i even graduated). I work in the head office near the vice presidents offices( and president office. The CEO works a floor above... I just started and i see a good opp to advance to another level in my career. People with the psych degree or international business wouldnt work at the headquater at all... they will be selling our products instead...

In the corporate parties the executives get all the attention... then accounting department gets the 2nd most then IT... ect...

Im also working towards my CPA.. which is a highly repected certification for accountants (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certifi...lic_Accountant)... once i got that i will start my masters degree (MBA).... a guy about 4 years older than me with a CPA is currently giving info directly to executives and he collaborates with department managers such as IT, Marketing and ect...

Many people pick a science degree... at the bachelors level.. they need atleast a masters level to get a decent job that uses their education. but most of time they will have to get a crappy job after the undergrad to pay off their loans to get their next degree... or they will have to get more exprience with a crappy job. Unless you have a gpa equivalent to 80+ and u can market ur self and also have a good employement network you will have a good shot.

Pick a degree that will give you quick advancment, respect, employability, good pay and u have a happy life and not one that is easy and fun.

I always tell my friends its better to spend 4 years of doing a boring/hard degree than wasting 40 years of your life with a useless degree that can give you jobs that anybody can do.

Sorry im abit tired when i was typing this its late too its like 12am

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Gram Negative Offline
Student
Junior TeenHelper

Re: College Major - February 4th 2011, 07:01 PM

Be prepared to get a masters or a PhD after your bachelors. Bachelors by it self isn't going to get you anywhere.

I have a bachelor's in biochemistry and biotechnology and could easy get a job in the field if I wasn't in graduate school. However, if I had a psychology degree then I would be unemployed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb View Post

Many people pick a science degree... at the bachelors level.. they need atleast a masters level to get a decent job that uses their education. but most of time they will have to get a crappy job after the undergrad to pay off their loans to get their next degree... or they will have to get more exprience with a crappy job. Unless you have a gpa equivalent to 80+ and u can market ur self and also have a good employement network you will have a good shot.

Depends on which science degree. My bachelor's was 100% covered by scholarships. My PhD is also covered by scholarships and I get a stipend of 27K a year, plus free top medical insurance. I don't even have copays in some hospitals.
  Send a message via AIM to Gram Negative  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: College Major - February 5th 2011, 02:52 AM

Quote:
But i strongly recommend against taking it as a major. (im sure to hear a huge backlash...) Think about it.. what kind of jobs can you get with it? at the bachelors level??? I know some people with a psych degree who are now sales people. I seen people taking easy degrees like international business and when i see them after work they looked embarrased to see me...
Agreed. With psychology, there's not many things you can do related to psychology at a Bachelor's level. Although I'm enrolled in a psychology major I'm also enrolled in majors for biology and sociology so my focus is on neurobiology, pharmacology, toxicology and as a weird combo, also criminology. It depends on the field of psychology you want to go into. Many go for clinical psychology so if someone has a Bachelor's in psychology, tough luck they're not getting to do it. For neuroscience, with a bit of extra training not requiring an additional university degree, you can hop into that field.

In the end, I won't have a psychology degree, it's a HBSc and the program I'm in officially is a biology one.

Quote:
People with the psych degree or international business wouldnt work at the headquater at all... they will be selling our products instead...
Probably. I suppose some could be designing marketing schemes but I don't think many would be doing that.

Quote:
Getting a master's or a PhD or MD is good but I wouldn't say it's needed for all the sciences. Granted, you may not get a lot of pay at a Bachelor's level doing certain sciences.

Quote:
Pick a degree that will give you quick advancment, respect, employability, good pay and u have a happy life and not one that is easy and fun.
Psychology can do that but it's not the usual fields of clinical psychology that many people want. Neuroscience and pharmacology, the area I'm studying, is a massive field that's expanding a lot with a good amount of stuff not being known so there's high demand for people in that area. One of my professors was around early to mid 30's and helped teach 3rd year neurophysiology. He has his focus primarily on psychology but it's through a biological view and he's involved in testing and helping to design medications for motor disorders. Gets a good amount of pay and I don't know anyone who wouldn't show respect to that. Someone who is not in a neurobiology or similar field in psychology at that age probably wouldn't have much.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: College Major - February 5th 2011, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gram Negative View Post
Be prepared to get a masters or a PhD after your bachelors. Bachelors by it self isn't going to get you anywhere.

I have a bachelor's in biochemistry and biotechnology and could easy get a job in the field if I wasn't in graduate school. However, if I had a psychology degree then I would be unemployed.

Depends on which science degree. My bachelor's was 100% covered by scholarships. My PhD is also covered by scholarships and I get a stipend of 27K a year, plus free top medical insurance. I don't even have copays in some hospitals.
It depends on where you live too. Many towns dont really need biochemistry or tech. Also you have really high marks atleast 80 percent. My advice was aimed at average joes. If your marks arnt high enough then u will need to get a masters degree. and then get a PhD... which is an expensive path to take.

Ive seen many basic boring job post online that needs a masters degree! there is too many unrealistic teens out there that gets all excited about degrees. The last thing i want to hear is som1 spending 30k-60k on a degree that doesnt do anything for them.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Gram Negative Offline
Student
Junior TeenHelper

Re: College Major - February 5th 2011, 04:57 AM

Quote:
It depends on where you live too. Many towns dont really need biochemistry or tech. Also you have really high marks atleast 80 percent. My advice was aimed at average joes. If your marks arnt high enough then u will need to get a masters degree. and then get a PhD... which is an expensive path to take.
There are plenty of companies that will pay people to move. If you live near big city then you will likely get a good job. Master's really doesn't cost that much and it's only a few years. Plus a lot of companies offer internships for college students. I know plenty of people that interned at Pfizer, Monsato, Sigma before they graduated.

Quote:
Ive seen many basic boring job post online that needs a masters degree! there is too many unrealistic teens out there that gets all excited about degrees. The last thing i want to hear is som1 spending 30k-60k on a degree that doesnt do anything for them.
If you have a bachelors and have some experience then you will most likely find a job in the US. However, that's only for chemists, biochemists, biologists, etc. Psychology is pretty much useless.

Last edited by Gram Negative; February 5th 2011 at 05:03 AM.
  Send a message via AIM to Gram Negative  
Closed Thread