TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BUDDY=ME=JAZZBANDGEEK
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Achava Elah

Online/Homeschooling And Duel Enrollment - January 14th 2011, 02:28 AM

I am currently at a public 4year high school in the USA (duh lol). I have almost a 3.0 unweighted GPA from freshman year and *am currently taking all honore and AP classes with the exception of Piano 3 and Italian 2.

*I am also taking an honors science online at the states public online school that i would do if i am homeschooled next year.*

So I am currently taking: Chemistry Honors, AP World History, AP Psychology, Piano 3, English 2Honors, Italian 2, Geometry Honors, and Earth-Space Science Honors(online)*
'

I am a sophmore and am aware i would miss the "classic high school experiences" but i think i can do better than i am now if I was doing it online as I tend to ge sick quite often and when I do it usually makes me miss quite a few days of school usually a week or so which makes me grades worse than what the could be. Any advice or opinions on What to do?*

Please dont tell me I don't know what I will miss I can still go to prom I would go to the homeschoolers one in the area or the LGBT one.*

My mom doesn't think I could handle it but I think I could. Any ideas on how to prove to her I am mature and responsible enough to do this? I am going to try to do my dual enrollment at the local university that is has a branch close to my house (and is near the local library =D * * )*

What do you all think? Any ideas,tips, suggestions?

(Also I already have the required scores done for the local university requirements with scores of 58 in reading, 56 in math, and a 50 on the writing portions of the PSAT.*
So basically I have very good PSAT scores, and am taking 7 'rigorous' courses at the moment that are all acedemic.)*

Help please? Thoughts, comments, suggestions opinions (nicely)?*

And thanks so much for reading through all of that

"Others say there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I just say Crud, there isn't... I'm stuck in this stupid revolving door..." -Me
PM me anytime you want to talk about anything.And I mean ANYTHING AT ALL!
Formerly achava_elah_18

Been in love since May 2008

Fellow SI,Autism-Spectrum,Depression,Anxiety,Musical,Trichotilloman ia Person. Basically, I'm ME!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Irinya Offline
I claim them all.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Fred

Re: Online/Homeschooling And Duel Enrollment - January 15th 2011, 12:42 AM

I don't think there are any "classic high school experiences" that you need to have, per se. I've blown off literally every dance, class trip, formal, semiformal, etc. and I plan to completely skip prom.

However, just the fact that you're in an environment with such a huge variety of other people close to your level is tremendously important in contributing to you as a person. And, as a senior, I've realized that in the end it's the small things that matter -- having lived through every day of the past four years. It's hard to pinpoint specific moments or events that have defined who I am.

So the thing is, I do think that high school, while overrated in many aspects, provides a great, almost essential, character development environment. That's not to say you can't get the same character development dual-enrolled or home-schooled, but it's definitely harder.

Ultimately, it's your call. I know that the intellectual part of me SCREAMED at me to dual enroll this year, but my parents refused and ultimately I'm okay with that.

Let me know what you decide!

"Want to know a secret?

You are beautiful.

Black, white, gay, straight, bisexual. Whether you are smart or quiet or impossibly in love with your best friend, someone out there cherishes your smile and gets butterflies when you walk into a room.

Someone out there can't stop thinking about you. You Are Beautiful. Don't ever believe differently."

If you ever want someone to talk to, about absolutely anything, feel free to inbox me!
  Send a message via Skype™ to Irinya 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Theoretical Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Meagan R.

Re: Online/Homeschooling And Duel Enrollment - January 15th 2011, 04:23 AM

I did dual enrollment in high school, and I'm glad I did it. Screw prom.

The best way to prove you're responsible enough to do joint enrollment is to go through with the process, which is rigorous and a huge pain in the butt. If you can do the whole thing by yourself and get accepted, more power to you, and I think that's a huge sign of commitment.

Word to the wise, though, college professors are not going to be very understanding if you're missing your classes, even if you have an excuse. Some of them might work with you, but in my experience, it's a lot more important to always be in class in college than it was in high school.

Good luck!

Closed Thread