TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Gallade

Edit avatar

Bible quotes on Genetic Engineering? - January 9th 2009, 01:12 AM

I think this would go in this forum and not the religion one since it is a school project and such. If not my bad, let me know.

In class we were given an assignment to research a topic and include the Bible/Church view on the subject as well. I need to find a quote from the bible about genetic engineering be it for, against or neutral on the topic. It doesn't have to include the words "genetic engineering", just something related to tampering with life.

I Googled and came up with Genesis 1:27 which is okay but a bit vague. I think there was something about humans not allowed to create life?

I have to go now but will be back to check in a few hours. Thanks for taking your time to read this

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Romulus Offline
Banned
Average Joe

Name: Ryan

Re: Bible quotes on Genetic Engineering? - January 9th 2009, 02:08 AM

Um... genetic engineering has been practiced even in Biblical times and it's not creating life... it's modifying it... which we do in farming all the time... since man first began to farm... So you're really not going to find much in there about it.
  Send a message via AIM to Romulus Send a message via MSN to Romulus Send a message via Yahoo to Romulus  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Jaymz404 Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Name: James

Re: Bible quotes on Genetic Engineering? - January 9th 2009, 09:08 AM

As Romulus said, this project is heavily flawed and to be honest you should not find a quote. Insead of finding the quote, you should explain what Genetic Engineering is and how it is a very important thing.

For example if we were able to restore a cystic fibrosis suffferers CFTR protein (they are missing or have a faulty version of this protein, which makes the mucus more sticky) you would be able to cure it.

Another case you could look at is this one.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1906999.stm

The Bible should have no place in deciding or debating wether Genetic Screening/Engineering is right. Science has Ethics and morals, but we don't take them from The Bible.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ca/tg/irl Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Bible quotes on Genetic Engineering? - January 15th 2009, 05:46 AM

O HAY, wow, look, blatant religious hypocrisy.

Know anyone with Diabetes? You know how they would die a painful death without insulin? Yeah,

GENETIC ENGINEERING WAS HERE
INSULIN DEFICIENCY IS A FAG

or to put it in more simple and less 'high brow' (obscure is high brow? good lord, people.) terms, if you know anyone with diabetes, they would in all probability be dead if not for genetic engineering. So you know, thanks. fucking hypocrites.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stuckinhell Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sammy

Re: Bible quotes on Genetic Engineering? - January 15th 2009, 10:30 AM

Hi, i've got a pile of quotes which i can give you, if i find my book...will post some up later....if not...go onto the roman catholic and anglican websites and type genetic engineering in....it will give you there views about it, and biblical quotes/ and quotes from pope and things xx

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stuckinhell Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sammy

Re: Bible quotes on Genetic Engineering? - January 15th 2009, 10:37 AM

Ok...so here are a few...dnt have much time to do many....but remember there not going to directly relate to it...you need to explain how christians will use the quotes to accept or deny genetic engineering....

Ephesians 5:29 ---talks about how we have a duty to care for our body

1 Corinthians 6: 19/20 ----talks about how we are the Temple of the Holy spirit

Genesis 1:28-----how we are in charge of creations to look after them

Romans 8: 19-21 ------as caretakes of creation, it is our obligation to fix the effects of sin in the world

Genesis 1:26/27----we are created in Gods image---should not fiddle

Psalm 123---talks of the relationship between god and foetus in the womb

Ecclesiastes: 'Consider Gods handiwork: who can straighten what he hath made crooked?'

Scientist Willard Gaylin: 'I not only think that we will tamper with Mother nature, I think mother wants us to'----try replacing mother nature with god...

Good luck...to be honest there pretty easy to find...just look around....there's also the obvious ones of 'love one another' 'love your neigbour' that type of thing

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Gallade

Edit avatar

Re: Bible quotes on Genetic Engineering? - January 30th 2009, 03:20 PM

Thanks for the responses! I used the information you posted for me and the project went well

By the way about me posting in an old topic: I saw your posts but I could not log in to my account until now for some reason. This is in case you were wondering if I were inconsiderate or whatnot.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Bible quotes on Genetic Engineering? - January 30th 2009, 07:33 PM

The OP seems satisfied with the replies so closed :]

Closed Thread