TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Performaning Arts programs cut - March 2nd 2009, 05:41 AM

Ok I'm really upset about this but I'm going to try to be calm. My mother tells me today that my high school drama teacher told my father that drama and chorus programs have been cut from Orange county high schools, which leaves 50 teachers without jobs. Now just to have some understanding about my level of distress, I'm a theatre major, I lived in the drama room during high school, and at my school there are a ton of more programs that could be cut. Take our little television show for instance, not needed, we can just get the info over the intercom, and most of those students were not going to college for that career. Or please just please take some money away from football, especially if the team sucks. But to completely get rid of drama and chorus, my senior year every senior in drama but two went to college as theatre majors, or some other form of theatre, lighting design, theatre education... The next year EVERY senior in the drama department went to college for something in theatre. And we NEED the credits from high school to get into good programs. I just think it's wrong on so many levels. In Florida the money always seems to go everywhere but to the schools. So I just want to know what other people think, is it not that big of a deal?

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#2 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Re: Performaning Arts programs cut - March 2nd 2009, 03:50 PM

Because of the economy, all sorts of programs are being cut right now. I personally think it is a big deal anytime money is taken away from a program. Right now, I'm not even sure if my class will have a sophomore class trip because all accounts at school are frozen. I also plan on taking AP classes next year and we aren't even sure if they will still be offered. It's scary, because cutting programs that have been in use for years can really affect people. I've got so much going for me and I need those AP classes. They already hate having some of the higher levels because they can't cram more students in a classroom. My Algebra II Honors class only has 6 people in it and they did not want to offer that class because the other Algebra II classes have 30 people in them. I don't think I could learn in such a large class.

With all of this being said, I'm going to move this to the school section because this isn't really a debate or a current event. It's more of a discussion of funding being cut at schools.

<3 Amanda Kate
Read my blog here. :-)
"because we always carried a piece of each other around."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Performaning Arts programs cut - March 2nd 2009, 03:52 PM

How is this not a debate Amanda?

Performing arts budget cuts are fine, they have little to no use in real life. Taking money from English, maths and science is not fine because everyone needs them

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Drey Offline
what..ever
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Drey

Re: Performaning Arts programs cut - March 2nd 2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper Sonic View Post

Performing arts budget cuts are fine, they have little to no use in real life. Taking money from English, maths and science is not fine because everyone needs them
This is my job you are talking about here! I could and possibly will give you an entire essay (actually as many as you want) on why Fine Arts/Performing Arts should NOT be cut and are in fact an integral part of education. If you want proof I will give it to you. It isn't that difficult to find, heck, you could probably find it yourself. Google it.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Performaning Arts programs cut - March 2nd 2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drey View Post
This is my job you are talking about here! I could and possibly will give you an entire essay (actually as many as you want) on why Fine Arts/Performing Arts should NOT be cut and are in fact an integral part of education. If you want proof I will give it to you. It isn't that difficult to find, heck, you could probably find it yourself. Google it.
I still hold the view that English, maths and science are more important and therefore less important subjects should be sacrificed in times of need in order to keep those three going. In an ideal world there'd be enough funding for all

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Drey Offline
what..ever
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Performaning Arts programs cut - March 2nd 2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
I still hold the view that English, maths and science are more important and therefore less important subjects should be sacrificed in times of need in order to keep those three going. In an ideal world there'd be enough funding for all
I agree funding for all would be great. What are your views on physical education/gym? (Yes there is a point directly relating)

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Performaning Arts programs cut - March 2nd 2009, 04:04 PM

It is relatively high up for physical fitness is important. However, it can be done easily at home

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Justin Bieber Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Name: Ask Away!

Re: Performaning Arts programs cut - March 2nd 2009, 04:06 PM

I think cutting the preforming arts is unfair. Everyone excels in different subjects, who's to say one subject such as English is more important than arts and such. Heck, music is like it's own language and takes skill to really master/create. How is that any less important than doing a math problem? Preforming arts shouldn't get cut at all....

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Performaning Arts programs cut - March 2nd 2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost-myself View Post
I think cutting the preforming arts is unfair. Everyone excels in different subjects, who's to say one subject such as English is more important than arts and such. Heck, music is like it's own language and takes skill to really master/create. How is that any less important than doing a math problem? Preforming arts shouldn't get cut at all....
What language do you speak to your friends both at home and around the world? I seriously doubt it is music.

What do you do when you need to work out how much 4L of milk is when you know the price of 1L? Again the answer is not performing arts

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Justin Bieber Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Re: Performaning Arts programs cut - March 2nd 2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
What language do you speak to your friends both at home and around the world? I seriously doubt it is music.

What do you do when you need to work out how much 4L of milk is when you know the price of 1L? Again the answer is not performing arts

Music is universal.... English isn't. And not everyone uses the metric system. Everyone uses the same music notes....

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Drey Offline
what..ever
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Performaning Arts programs cut - March 2nd 2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
It is relatively high up for physical fitness is important. However, it can be done easily at home
Performing Arts incompasses all other subjects. This is my main point. Physical education is encompassed as well (do you realize you need more breath control and need to be in [granted a different kind] better shape to play a wind instrument then you do for sports? Do you realize that lugging around the heavier instruments you are in fact lifting weights? You need to be in better shape to do things like dance (properly) than you would need in almost any gym class?

For other subjects.. hmmm... music gets your brain functioning better (playing music) and helps with subjects like English and Math and Science. Your problem solving skills come into play. You build co-operation and teamwork skills, socialization skills (in drama and art). You learn to celebrate the little things in life. It is proven that the majority of people who involve themselves in the Fine Arts become happier, more social, more active people.

I could go on.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Performaning Arts programs cut - March 2nd 2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Music is universal.... English isn't. And not everyone uses the metric system. Everyone uses the same music notes....
Music, apart from techno which is glorified Morse code , is virtually indecipherable. What on Earth does multiplying by 4 have to do with the metric system?[

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Justin Bieber Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Re: Performaning Arts programs cut - March 2nd 2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Music, apart from techno which is glorified Morse code , is virtually indecipherable. What on Earth does multiplying by 4 have to do with the metric system?[

Not at all!!!! Music doesn't even have to be decipherable, its just about sharing, expression. Everyone can listen to music and have an opinion on it, or feel something from it. Not everyone can read a book and understand it...

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Performaning Arts programs cut - March 2nd 2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drey View Post
Performing Arts incompasses all other subjects. This is my main point. Physical education is encompassed as well (do you realize you need more breath control and need to be in [granted a different kind] better shape to play a wind instrument then you do for sports? Do you realize that lugging around the heavier instruments you are in fact lifting weights? You need to be in better shape to do things like dance (properly) than you would need in almost any gym class?

For other subjects.. hmmm... music gets your brain functioning better (playing music) and helps with subjects like English and Math and Science. Your problem solving skills come into play. You build co-operation and teamwork skills, socialization skills (in drama and art). You learn to celebrate the little things in life. It is proven that the majority of people who involve themselves in the Fine Arts become happier, more social, more active people.

I could go on.
I never said performing arts was not important, just that it's less important than English, maths and science. It's a useful adjunct to the basic core subjects and can help development but it's not the be all and end all

Quote:
Not at all!!!! Music doesn't even have to be decipherable, its just about sharing, expression. Everyone can listen to music and have an opinion on it, or feel something from it. Not everyone can read a book and understand it...
But how would you get a message across using music? For example how would I convey this post that I'm typing now using music. Saying everyone can listen to music is saying there are no deaf people in the world. Also I'd like to turn that last sentence on it's head and say that many more people can understand what an author means in a book than what a composer means in music.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Drey Offline
what..ever
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Performaning Arts programs cut - March 2nd 2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
I never said performing arts was not important, just that it's less important than English, maths and science. It's a useful adjunct to the basic core subjects and can help development but it's not the be all and end all

But that's what I'm saying. It is just as important. Even to have just one class that encompasses everything.. would be better than cutting them all. Go down to one teacher instead of four.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Justin Bieber Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Re: Performaning Arts programs cut - March 2nd 2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
But how would you get a message across using music? For example how would I convey this post that I'm typing now using music. Saying everyone can listen to music is saying there are no deaf people in the world. Also I'd like to turn that last sentence on it's head and say that many more people can understand what an author means in a book than what a composer means in music.

Composers can express a lot through music. People can show each otehr different songs to express how they feel. I am not saying it can do EVERYTHING, but its a lot easier to express yourself through music than it is through literature. And deaf people can still feel the vibrations. What about those who are blind and can't read everything? Not everything comes in brail... everything type of music does have a vibration though.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Justin Bieber Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Re: Performaning Arts programs cut - March 2nd 2009, 04:33 PM

Also, think about this. You can talk to someone about how he/she is feeling and such, and he/she could easily answer "okay" or "alright", and you know something is wrong, but not what. It's obvious to tell from his/her voice that he/she isn't okay at all. So perhaps expressing themselves via talking or writing isn't the best idea. Give them an instrument, play them music to dance to, provide them with materials to create and from that you can get a much better sense of what is wrong. Can sciences do that? Can math do that? I think not.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Performaning Arts programs cut - March 2nd 2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Also, think about this. You can talk to someone about how he/she is feeling and such, and he/she could easily answer "okay" or "alright", and you know something is wrong, but not what. It's obvious to tell from his/her voice that he/she isn't okay at all. So perhaps expressing themselves via talking or writing isn't the best idea. Give them an instrument, play them music to dance to, provide them with materials to create and from that you can get a much better sense of what is wrong. Can sciences do that? Can math do that? I think not.
And then they go and lie through music. Without science there is no music, simple as.

Not to mention that music is simply the application of science. Notes are simply special names for certain values of frequency, knowing how waves travel through air and the sound it makes when it's trapped say by a finger over a hole. Ask any instrument manufacturer how important science is in their work

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Justin Bieber Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Re: Performaning Arts programs cut - March 2nd 2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
And then they go and lie through music. Without science there is no music, simple as.

Not to mention that music is simply the application of science. Notes are simply special names for certain values of frequency, knowing how waves travel through air and the sound it makes when it's trapped say by a finger over a hole. Ask any instrument manufacturer how important science is in their work

Everything in the world can be based off of something else. Music does have to do with science. But that doesn't make science any more important. It is even harder to lie through the performing arts then it is through writing or talking. If he/she doesn't have any music and are just told to play or to dance, he/she will create what they feel.. that comes from the heart, it comes from withing his/herself, not just because he/she learned it from a book. Have you ever tried to play something to show you are happy when all you want to do is die (or something like that)?

(#20 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Re: Performaning Arts programs cut - March 2nd 2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:

It seems to have turned into a debate over whether or not this program should have been cut. The original post seemed to me like the OP was talking about how school programs are being cut. It easily could go here or Why Me? I thought over both. I consulted someone else and we agreed that it was best here. If someone with moderating powers does not agree with me, we'll move it back.

I do think that performing arts programs have a lot of use in real life. I've learned a lot of things from my Drama class. However, I will say that English, Math, and Science does need more funding than something like drama. But so many students at this school are becoming Theatre majors, so it is of use to them. Obviously they aren't going to offer Agriculture to students in the city, but if they were to cut the Ag programs at my school people would starve because that is what we do.

<3 Amanda Kate
Read my blog here. :-)
"because we always carried a piece of each other around."

(#21 (permalink)) Old
molliegym Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Molly

Re: Performaning Arts programs cut - March 2nd 2009, 08:25 PM

It is too bad that the programs had to be cut. Of course, something HAD to be cut, and they couldn't really cut English or Math- though I can understand the OP's frustration (i.e. why couldn't they make less dramatic budget cuts across the board- perhaps decrease, but not stop, both performing arts and sports).

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/MOLLYH%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG]A few clicks will help @TWLOHA win $1 Million for suicide prevention. Please share this with others. Vote here:http://bit.ly/7si7Be

My music

I never conquered, rarely came
Tomorrow holds such better days

Check out my blog, Cold Fusion, with music news, reviews, and other related musings.

Send a message via AIM to molliegym Send a message via MSN to molliegym  
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Performaning Arts programs cut - March 2nd 2009, 09:24 PM

Performing arts create the entertainment industry. Do you know which industry does really well during economic difficulties? Entertainment! I work in a cinema, and I can vouch for this. Whilst other stores have been closin down, we have seen more and more customers. People want the escapisim. People will always want to find joy and happiness through entertainment -- films, theatre, art, music. I literally cannot imagine a world without it, I doubt many of you can.

Entertainment is a small part of performing arts, but does it not just prove how important performing arts is?

Everyone needs the escapisim music, theatre, movies provide. Including mathmaticians, scientists, doctors and writers. No one person has the right to state which is more important (let's be honest Lee, as a scientific person, you are more than a little biased). No subject should be cut from a programme, education should be one of the last things to be restricted due to the recession.

(#23 (permalink)) Old
CROSSBOW Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: Performaning Arts programs cut - March 2nd 2009, 09:50 PM

Awww yes Shakespear is a waste of money and so many others. lol yea right

nah its way more important then hearing the Bull... of Evolution in science..

Send a message via AIM to CROSSBOW  
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: Performaning Arts programs cut - March 2nd 2009, 10:48 PM

Ok here's my thing. This is what happened at my alma mater, they cut chorus and drama and are firing 50 teachers. But my thing is, they don't give drama any money anyway. My senior year we were given less than $200. So I just say leave the chorus and drama teacher, and you can take away the funding because all the real money was made through fundraising anyway. And if why completely cut the performing arts, but leave all 6 art teachers, and two band teachers, not to mention the useless coaches that don't do anything. I just feel that the decision was irrational.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#25 (permalink)) Old
Drey Offline
what..ever
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Performaning Arts programs cut - March 3rd 2009, 04:56 PM

It was an irrational decision. Especially considering they did not cut the other arts but only theatre. I agree, they should have cut funding to some of the other areas as well (including sports).

Closed Thread