TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Alto. Offline
Come as you are
Senior TeenHelper

Question Valuing Education - August 8th 2011, 06:25 AM

I value education so much. I will complain about a lot of work, but I do value that I have the chance to learn. One of my friends a year behind me in school just asked me about the teachers she has for this upcoming school year. I told her that she'll learn a lot in these teacher's classes, be thankful you don't have this teacher, it was a cake class, ext. It was on her Facebook page, I told her that she should be happy with her lang. arts teacher, the teacher I had taught me nothing the entire year. I would rather have to do more work rather then no work at all. I had to sign off then, and when I got back online later a lot of people had commented on our convo. Every single one of them was calling me a nerd, not just playing, but being rude about it.

So I have question, when you were fourteen did you value education, were you called a nerd for it? Have you always had a thirst for knowledge, is it new, or have you never had it before? It seems like no one my age shares my love for knowledge, at least no one I know. And that like really sucks. xD

wanderer come home
you're not too far
lay down your hurt, lay down your heart
come as you are.

VM | PM

(#2 (permalink)) Old
yoloyoloyolo Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: yo

Re: Valuing Education - August 8th 2011, 06:32 AM

Naw dude, I slacked like crazy. I had just joined my first band and just played drums all the time haha. Now, my life is work and school, and I love it. Mind you, I go to university for drums... But you know, education is good. I study a lot of stuff outside of drums. Theology, educational theories, politics, and philosophy.

Follow on Twitter @Thomas_TGT

TUMBLR: http://thomasdlesnick.tumblr.com
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/thomas.lesnick

I play in a new band called "The Gentlemen Thieves"
www.thegentlementhieves.com

YouTube: http://youtube.com/user/drumminggod91

"Let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic, and we will change the world." - Jack Layton

(#3 (permalink)) Old
chook14 Offline
♪ itchin' on a photograph ♫
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ella

Re: Valuing Education - August 8th 2011, 07:43 AM

I was a really good student when i was 13/14, and then just got kinda lazy :P I think as i got older I started getting interested in other things, and like Thomas said, started spending more time on things I was more passionate about. Don't get me wrong, I still went to school everyday and did my work, I just didn't particularly love it! I enjoyed the subjects I was good at like english, but maths etc I couldn't care less about. I'm at university now, studying something I'm interested in It sucks that people were insulting on facebook. Good for you that you enjoy your education! You'll do better at school than all the others, and get an awesome career! Try not to let it worry you..as you get older you find that your friends get more mature, and the fact that you're good at school will probably make them respect you. You could even get part time work tutoring younger students.

"He who does not weep, does not see" - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables.

<3

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Laura

Re: Valuing Education - August 8th 2011, 08:56 AM

I was always the "geek" in my year, just learn to ignore it or laugh about it with them. It does help. I've kinda had it hard since uni and slipping a bit but trying is everything
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thurineth 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Valuing Education - August 8th 2011, 06:40 PM

At 14 I was beginning to deal with some personal stuff that distracted me A LOT from school and of course there were things about it that I didn't like, but school is school and there will always be things that you hate about it. I wasn't a nerd or made fun of for doing well though because all of my friends were the same way. There were some things we were forced to learn about that I absoluetly hated and I procrastinated like crazy; probably because I knew that I could do so and still get A's and B's.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: Valuing Education - August 8th 2011, 07:51 PM

I have always valued education.

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

PM me
All or nothing for Christ Was I love dogs

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son that whosoever believeth in Him should not parish, but have everlasting life John 3:16 ( 21st century King James Viersion)

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Marguerite Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marguerite

Re: Valuing Education - August 9th 2011, 07:51 AM

When I was 14 I hated school. I laughed at my friends for being good at at their work (nerds! right?).

I was really terrible at school. To be honest, I think I was just insecure because I felt so dumb compared to my friends.

Then last year I put in some effort and realised I could actually do it. Now I get really good marks and often get the 'nerd' label thrust upon me. Embrace it, I say! Having been on both ends of the spectrum, I can gladly say I'd much rather be on this end, with a future, than on the other end, feeling stupid.

To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget

~Arundhati Roy

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Valuing Education - August 9th 2011, 09:06 AM

When I was 14 I was competing with my friends for highest marks in the class. I usually ended up between 1st to 4th highest. I was called a nerd but I embraced that term as a compliment and still do. Anytime I was called a nerd, I would tell the person it's not an insult because they're saying to me, I'll be the one earning a shitload of money while they'll be working a menial job or hoping they'll get rich from basket-weaving or tossing a ball around. I wasn't thinking, "I hope I'll get into an amazing university on scholarships" (which I was able to do) but I found the stuff interesting and sometimes easy.

As I said, my friends also valued education so any time one of us slacked off, the others would pull the person up. My parents value education quite a lot and when I was 14, I'd get rewards for high grades on tests and exams, usually money, chance to decide which near-by restaurant/buffet to eat at or decide what we were to eat without leaving the house.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Closed Thread