TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Dark Horse Offline
Used to be ellabella:)
Average Joe

Name: Arabella

Pros and Cons of Homeschooling? - August 15th 2011, 05:26 PM

(I think it's the right forum) Is there anyone here who is/was homeschooled? What are the good and bad aspects of it?

Tears Falling Down To Lips Unkissed
Ignore Her And She Won't Exist
She's Not The Kind You'll Come To Miss

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Trickmatic Offline
-
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Pros and Cons of Homeschooling? - August 15th 2011, 05:58 PM

I haven't been homeschooled, but I have done a project on the topic in high school.

I think the biggest pro is that you'll likely learn more at home, than at school. A teacher in a high school has to focus on many kids, while homeschooling is generally brothers and sisters learning from their parents. Since a parent has a better understanding of of child's capabilities, it's easier to cater toward a student's learning style. Most high school teachers don't have the same concerns to their students, since there are are too many students to account for. You'll also have the luxury of being more flexible with the curriculum taught.

As for cons, I think they're only cons as much as you may make them out to be. Some people may be concerned that they don't get the traditional high school experience, which can easily be filled by extra curricular activities, participating in homeschooling networks, etc. Cost might be an issue since buying textbooks is of course expensive.

Here's a good link to other possible cons.

http://justenough.wordpress.com/2006...homeschooling/

Overall, I do think that homeschooling can be an advantage for many students if done well.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Daivia Offline
Why Hussie? Why?
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Maeve

Re: Pros and Cons of Homeschooling? - August 15th 2011, 06:09 PM

I was homeschooled for my 6th grade year. I came out at the same level as everyone else and entered 7th grade normal.

It was ok, I went to museums and lectures and watched educational tv. But I was very lonely.

Also I refused to do any math.

Edit:
Pros- Less students, you can go at your own speed, you can choose what to learn.
Cons- Less human interaction. Also, I've heard homeschoolers have difficulty with college, but that could completely false.

Last edited by Daivia; August 15th 2011 at 11:18 PM. Reason: I didn't answer the question.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
LittleMiss Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Christine

Re: Pros and Cons of Homeschooling? - August 15th 2011, 11:01 PM

I haven't been home schooled but I know many people who have.

Pros - You get all the attention of the parent/tutor which means you can reach your full potential academically.

Cons - You don't have the same social interactions (Unless you're in a huge family that are all home schooled) and you don't necessarily learn vital social skills used to deal with people you aren't close to.

To be honest, I think that good social skills will get you further than the slight advantage in education.
It can be lonely.

Happy to talk about anything and everything.
Send me a message any time, my proverbial door is open

Laughter is the best medicine
Q: What's the difference between a surgeon and God?
A: God doesn't think he's a surgeon.

Closed Thread