TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Killionaire Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Extremely nervous about a Community College. - August 15th 2011, 11:38 PM

Because of financial issues, I'm attending a community college for two years. This is the largest CC in my state, and I'm extremely apprehensive about going. Now that school is being paid for, and that my grades matter moreso, I'm mortified at the thought of me doing poorly and effing things up.

Also, from a social standpoint I'm bummed out, too. Since this is the largest CC in the state, I'm not going to have a lot of opportunities to make new friends. A large portion of the student body are "international" students who live far away from the campus and/or don't speak English, as well as older, 40-80 year old students. I wasn't a very social person in high school, but now that I "lost" my small amount of friends to four-year colleges, I'll feel extremely lonely.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Extremely nervous about a Community College. - August 15th 2011, 11:44 PM

If your high school grades were good or at least average you should have no problem with community college work. I called it high school 2.0 and I was surprised how easy it was. I didn't have a lot of friends either, but I'm a loner so it wasn't too bad and a lot of people I knew ended up going there also. Getting to know new people can be scary, but it's a good thing.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Killionaire Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Extremely nervous about a Community College. - August 15th 2011, 11:56 PM

I had decent High School grades, but the math was terrible. I had sooo many F's in my math classes. I'm taking a placement exam tomorrow and I'm freaking out just because of that!

Also, my brother told me that I have to take a gym class at that college, too! :O

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Killionaire Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Extremely nervous about a Community College. - August 18th 2011, 01:58 AM

I hate to double-post, but it's worse.

I got an extremely low score on the math tests, which is resulting in me having to take three different math courses. In addition to that, I have to go to the college AGAIN tomorrow to attend a long seminar and sign up for my classes. I'm extremely nervous because I know for a fact that the schedule I'll have to adhere to won't be flexible. I don't have a car, so it's going to be TORTURE going to and from the college.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Mitch

Re: Extremely nervous about a Community College. - August 18th 2011, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killionaire View Post
I hate to double-post, but it's worse.

I got an extremely low score on the math tests, which is resulting in me having to take three different math courses. In addition to that, I have to go to the college AGAIN tomorrow to attend a long seminar and sign up for my classes. I'm extremely nervous because I know for a fact that the schedule I'll have to adhere to won't be flexible. I don't have a car, so it's going to be TORTURE going to and from the college.

I know the feeling. I live an hour and a half away from University by train and bus, and travel it everyday just to get there on time (starting at 8:30 - I have to be up at 6 just to make sure I'm ready and there on time). You do get used to it - and more often than not, you'll probably do some of your best work on a train ride home.

As for your situation with Math, I'm not really sure what the go is with Colleges, so do they really make you do classes that aren't your strongest point? I failed Math also, but am attending University where they let even those that can't speak English do (and pass) a Law degree. To me, if College is "High School 2.0," and even international students have to do subjects in areas where their test scores are low (presumably English, and considering it is one of the hardest subjects that you could ever do), I'm sure you'll do perfectly fine.

Don't stress, relax, and you'll find out that College/University isn't as hard as you might think.

Because in the end, it doesn't even matter.

Closed Thread