TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BlueWolf Offline
A lost wolf
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Jessica

First Interview Tomorrow! Any Advice? - August 16th 2011, 02:41 PM

So, I have my first offical interview tomorrow to be a waitress. It's gonna be a full time job, which is what I really need for right now so I can save up for school next semester. Anyway, my last job I was instantly hired because it was my aunt who hired me.

So I have no idea what to do or expect! I know how to dress, but that's it. What kind of questions might they ask me? How can I make a good impression and that will say... YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO HIRE MEEE!!!!!!

Advice? Tips? Thanks!

Self-harm free since 10.1.2013
"You have not failed if you learned something from it."
"Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain"
"Weak heart, Dying soul, Falling apart, Make me whole, These broken blues, Peirce your being, Hide the truth, You won't be seeing."
"Deeper, Deeper, Deeper inside me I live a life that seems to be a lost reality."
"Big Brother is watching."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Khaleesi. Offline
Where are my dragons?

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: First Interview Tomorrow! Any Advice? - August 16th 2011, 02:56 PM

Hey Jessica,

First I just want to wish you good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine

I've found this website to be pretty helpful - http://www.wisebread.com/how-to-answ...view-questions
Some of these questions may not apply to you but I think most are relevant.

The most important tip I can give you is be confident. Don't be afraid to big yourself up and tell them why you're amazing for the job. I know a lot of people find it hard to talk about their strengths, myself included, so I'd suggest writing a list of strengths and skills you have that relate to this job so you already have some in mind before you go into the interview.

I hope this helps, take care

(#3 (permalink)) Old
BlueWolf Offline
A lost wolf
Regular TeenHelper

Re: First Interview Tomorrow! Any Advice? - August 16th 2011, 03:01 PM

Thanks Cara! That does help. I'll read through the page too.

"Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain"
"Weak heart, Dying soul, Falling apart, Make me whole, These broken blues, Peirce your being, Hide the truth, You won't be seeing."
"Deeper, Deeper, Deeper inside me I live a life that seems to be a lost reality."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.Jess. Offline
Previously xxjessxx
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: First Interview Tomorrow! Any Advice? - August 16th 2011, 04:05 PM

Be yourself! And smile a lot. I always smile and get praised for my enthusiasm! You need to make your skills transferable too. For example if you’re organised you need to demonstrate how having that skill will be of benefit in the job you’re applying for Think of a good question to ask them at the end and try not to get nervous (easier said than done I know!). Best of luck and let us know how it goes!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
BlueWolf Offline
A lost wolf
Regular TeenHelper

Re: First Interview Tomorrow! Any Advice? - August 16th 2011, 04:46 PM

I have no idea what skills could transfer to this job other than I am known for being very presistant and friendly? And what kind of question should I ask at the end?

(#6 (permalink)) Old
L'espoir Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jen

Re: First Interview Tomorrow! Any Advice? - August 16th 2011, 04:50 PM

Hi

It's a really good idea if you make sure you thoroughly read the person specification for the job so that you can pick up on things that they are looking for in a candidate and then talk about how you have those qualities... that way you show that you would be a good fit for the job and also that you are bothered enough to read properly through the application forms. Also I think Jess has a really good point about smiling - I think the most important part is showing that you are friendly. I know in my first job interview I was so terrified but I went in there and was friendly and I smiled and made a joke and even though I didnt even answer all the questions I got the job! I believe it's because they liked my personality. You see, with a waitressing job lots and lots of candidates will have the skills that the job requires so you need to show you have something else i.e personality (which I think is very important to be a waitress because there is lots of customer interaction).

I hope this helps anyway!
x

PM // VM

(#7 (permalink)) Old
.Jess. Offline
Previously xxjessxx
Junior TeenHelper

Re: First Interview Tomorrow! Any Advice? - August 16th 2011, 05:10 PM

You could ask how many other people work there? You could go on to say a strength of yours is working in a team? Something like that. Don't ask things like how much will you be paid or what training oppotunities are there as they will think that's all you want the employment for

Being friendly is definately a transferable skill as it's vital to be friendly if you're a waitress. You could mention something about being a good multi tasker and give an example of when you've done that? As I can imagine being a waitress you have a lot of things to do at once! Maybe talk about communication skills? You'll be having direct contact with customers so you're communication skills and customer service skill need to be good, so you could mention them? For everything you say you're good at back it up with an example

Good luck!

(#8 (permalink)) Old
BlueWolf Offline
A lost wolf
Regular TeenHelper

Re: First Interview Tomorrow! Any Advice? - August 16th 2011, 06:21 PM

See, I am awful around people. I get really nervous, but I am a pro at hiding it because my fear of people knowing that is stronger. So some people will tell you I am extreamely shy and others will laugh at the thought of me being shy. I am very good at being whatever is needed, but on the inside I'll be panicing imensely.

I am not bad at multi-tasking because my mind is often all over the place anyway. But I don't know of any examples. That's the hard part. I have experience working with customers when I worked for my aunt, but I can't think of any instances in particular other then simple things such as handling transactions and helping them find something they want, and answering questions. Apart from that, idk what I could say.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
.Jess. Offline
Previously xxjessxx
Junior TeenHelper

Re: First Interview Tomorrow! Any Advice? - August 16th 2011, 06:35 PM

I shouldn't worry to much, I wouldn't imagine the questions will be really complex, they will be pretty standard and straight forward I'd say. You can take examples from everyday life, like school? We've all had to handle more then one assignment at once, that's multi tasking! Even if you know you feel nervous and anxious around people your perspective employer doesn't need to know that. Like you said, you can act how you need and that's great What job did you have with you're Aunt? You will have to handle transactions in a waitressing job so you can apply that! You helped them find what they wanted - that's customer service skills! You just need to adapt what you've done to suit. Try not to stress, I am sure you're going to be fine

(#10 (permalink)) Old
BlueWolf Offline
A lost wolf
Regular TeenHelper

Re: First Interview Tomorrow! Any Advice? - August 16th 2011, 06:41 PM

Ok, thanks!! You were very helpful.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: First Interview Tomorrow! Any Advice? - August 16th 2011, 11:29 PM

Although it's not required, it's preferred that waitresses look somewhat attractive, neat, knowledgeable, polite and positive. For the interview, show up a bit early and have a list of questions already made. Don't ask how much you'll get paid. If you are asked, answer around minimum wage (remember, you'll get tips). For some questions, ask how many waiters/waitresses there are, size of menu, how many can be seated, is there a dress code, etc... . Be confident and try to chat up the person(s) interviewing you a bit so they can get first-hand experience of your customer service skills. Bring a resume along that briefly details what you did with your aunt.

You may be asked why you haven't held many other jobs. You'll definitely be asked why you want to be a waitress and whether you have any skills you can apply. You may also be asked about what you did with your aunt. Give examples of stuff you did, such as if you say you did multi-tasking, give several examples especially if they seem relevant. You may also be asked about your academic experiences.

The key though is to get the person(s) interviewing you to feel comfortable with you working for them, so try to create a good rapport. If you're nervous inside, that's perfectly fine, you can even show a bit of it but don't start panicking on the spot because that'll shoot yourself in the foot.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Closed Thread