TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
spchick Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: SPchick

Exclamation Moving in to college next week! Help! - August 17th 2011, 06:01 AM

I've been rethinking about going to college... everything seems to be going so fast and I'm not completely sure what to do. I know I have to go to college to have a decent life on my own and have a good job (I want to be a sports journalist), but I really don't want to go...and I move in next week too

Also, I live literally a ten minute drive from campus, but I'm living in a residence hall. I was thinking about commuting since I'm so close. (I'm mostly worried about people partying and stuff like that... I don't party at all)

The problem is, my mom won't listen to anything I have to say (I'm 18!). I brought up about going to a community college for a year or two and she starts panicking and yelling at me saying that I'll be stupid if I go to a community college. She is also forcing me to live in a dorm and I don't want to because I'm so close to home anyway and I'm not really a people person... (I have no problem with a few people, but in large groups of teens my age, I hate it)

How can I get through to her? She doesn't care about anything I have to say. It's like she thinks I'm stupid and make wrong decisions (I've never given her a reason to not trust me or anything like that.. I've always been a very good kid) Can someone please give me some advice? I'm so stuck and time is quickly running out......

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Katie Lydia Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Katie

Re: Moving in to college next week! Help! - August 17th 2011, 06:18 AM

Hey we're in the same boat! I leave next sunday 3 hours away from my home so i know the feeling!

If you really don't want to go to this college then your mum can't force you, your 18 and here in the UK that means your an adult and parents have no control over you here.

Talk to your mum, don't start defensive and say you don't want to go etc. ask her why she wants you to go to this college, compromise with her, say you'll go if you can come home and commute. Making friends is hard and i'm shitting a brick as i'll be living in the college dorms but as much as i'm nervous i'm also a little excited, a fresh start for me, the beginning of my career and friends help you along the way even if it's something simple as borrowing their notes!

I don't think your mum thinks your stupid, your going to college to be a sports journalist! I think she's maybe angry because your telling her this now and your leaving in a week, i know my mum would be if i told her today i didn't want to go when i have everything ready and paid for! As for the parties, parties are likely to happen but that doesn't mean you need to attend them, they're a good way to get to know people, harder than it sounds i know but if you've got nothing to lose!

Hope this helps. xx

Tell me if i've got this all wrong btw, haha. x

Good luck!!

Razors pain you
Rivers are damp
Acid stains you
Drugs cause cramp
Guns aren't lawful
Nooses give
Gas smells awful
You might as well live.

♥ Family ♥ Animals ♥ Cats

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread