TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Halo345 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Alex

College and Money - August 24th 2011, 12:21 AM

So what is everyone doing for college... When it comes to the financial end of things? What are you doing to try to make it cheaper? Do you think you'll have money to go to college?

Personally, I'm in a tough spot. My parents don't have much a "college fund" for me due to some previous financial burdens. But they make to much money and I don't fit into and of the "special" categories for federal aid. So a large part of my Sr. year will be dedicated to attempting to find some money... or a lot of money.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: College and Money - August 24th 2011, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -A- View Post
So what is everyone doing for college... When it comes to the financial end of things? What are you doing to try to make it cheaper? Do you think you'll have money to go to college?

Personally, I'm in a tough spot. My parents don't have much a "college fund" for me due to some previous financial burdens. But they make to much money and I don't fit into and of the "special" categories for federal aid. So a large part of my Sr. year will be dedicated to attempting to find some money... or a lot of money.
I know exactly what you mean! Just because my parents make "X" amount of money, doesn't mean they are giving it to me, or what if they made 3 million dollars a year, but spent 95% of that paying off debts, so they really only get $50,000. I too fit into no "special" category, white, blond, white collar parents, etc.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: College and Money - August 24th 2011, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
I know exactly what you mean! Just because my parents make "X" amount of money, doesn't mean they are giving it to me, or what if they made 3 million dollars a year, but spent 95% of that paying off debts, so they really only get $50,000. I too fit into no "special" category, white, blond, white collar parents, etc.
They only get $150,000 not $50,000. 95% of 3,000,000 is $2,850,000.

Here if you go to college the school usually gives you an ID and with that ID many places offer discounts. The bus service of the city is half off, many restaurants, cinemas, cafés, etc. give you discounts. Some places give you services for free for example I went to a mechanic place to have a piece cut for a class and they didn’t charge me anything. Ask for discounts with your school ID.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Re: College and Money - August 24th 2011, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelios View Post

They only get $150,000 not $50,000. 95% of 3,000,000 is $2,850,000.

Here if you go to college the school usually gives you an ID and with that ID many places offer discounts. The bus service of the city is half off, many restaurants, cinemas, cafés, etc. give you discounts. Some places give you services for free for example I went to a mechanic place to have a piece cut for a class and they didn’t charge me anything. Ask for discounts with your school ID.
I was going for 1 million at first ^^ I think I overshot my number a bit.

Space Flight Awards

(#5 (permalink)) Old
wonderbread Offline
Like a dude
I've been here a while

Name: Ashley

Re: College and Money - August 24th 2011, 02:25 AM

All my schooling is being funded my Financial Aid. I personally was under the impression that everyone was able to get some financial help but I guess thats not the case.
I was awarded over $3,000 dollars for classes and books and my classes and books were covered by it all with quite a bit left over to do with as I wish with. None of this is loans, none of this I have to pay back.

That is how I am able to do college if it wasn't for Financial Aid I would not be able to do this. Now the money that I have left over I will not go out and blow. I will keep it and use it as christmas shopping money and for when I am in a crises and need to have money.

I wouldn't lose faith, you can always continue checking your chances for Financial Aid, and you can look online for scholarships that are avaliable. Some scholarships offer anywhere from $500- thousands.

Always remember to put your happiness first.
  Send a message via MSN to wonderbread  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Allons-y! Offline
Don't blink.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Charlotte

Re: College and Money - August 24th 2011, 03:25 AM

I'm in the same boat. Not everyone gets financial aid, and it really sucks: I'm stressing and working my butt off, and some people I know get so much financial aid that they get REFUNDS from the aid office -- extra money they didn't need for tuition and receive in a direct deposit to their bank account. (I'm not saying that these people don't deserve financial aid, just that extra little touch always seems like kicking me while I'm down.)

Work on applying for scholarships and look into low interest student loans. Get a job, or research jobs you'll be able to get in school. Everything helps, and there are lots of options out there. Student loans are not uncommon; almost everyone I know has them.

let me light up the sky, light it up for you
let me tell you why, i would die for you
When you whisper, you must be absolutely as sincere as when you scream.
9 out of every 10 problems in relationships can be solved by talking. So why are we so damn quiet?

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Daivia Offline
Why Hussie? Why?
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Maeve

Re: College and Money - August 24th 2011, 04:04 AM

I'm a senior in high school, but I'm working on scholarships, my mother and I are getting jobs, and we're going to have to rely on FAFSA for more help. We'll make it- barely.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Re: College and Money - August 24th 2011, 04:36 AM

I refuse to take loans, never had a credit card, never will. I only buy it if I have all the money right then, I will not accept debt.

Space Flight Awards

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: College and Money - August 24th 2011, 08:08 AM

Although my parents have more than enough money to send me through university so they don't come close to being in the range for financial aid, they told me they want me to try to make some money on my own in high-school so I'm not completely dependent on them. It made good sense, I made some money and once my first-year tuition invoice came in, we looked at how much I could pay for if I had to. Turns out, I could pay for all of it, although a bit shy for the over-priced books. However, they allowed me to keep it for personal use. They weren't expecting me to take a fifth-year but they didn't have much faith in me getting into a near-by university (hence a lower cost) so they put a generous amount in university savings. Turns out, I did get into a near-by university, in fact one of the best in the country and high in the list for best universities worldwide. They've used this savings to pay for all my tuition thus far.

Unfortunately, with the recent stock market going loopy, it's unsure for future income. My father is benefiting though since the price of gold has gone up a fair bit.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Allons-y! Offline
Don't blink.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Charlotte

Re: College and Money - August 24th 2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
I refuse to take loans, never had a credit card, never will. I only buy it if I have all the money right then, I will not accept debt.
Well, if you have alternative ways of paying for school, then that's great. It's obviously always better not to go into debt. I'm just saying that for most people, student loans are the only option and that's nothing to be ashamed of.

Having a credit card, though, is not the same as going into debt. One can have a credit card, use it every day, and never go into debt.

let me light up the sky, light it up for you
let me tell you why, i would die for you
When you whisper, you must be absolutely as sincere as when you scream.
9 out of every 10 problems in relationships can be solved by talking. So why are we so damn quiet?

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Veni Vidi Vici Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: College and Money - August 28th 2011, 09:54 AM

I'm in exactly the same predicaments as you. Parents earning over the 'financial aid limit,' having a very small scholarship fund (only enough for one of five years), and working while knowing I'm not going to have enough in the end unless I work full time... It's scary but I'm hoping something comes along in the future to help me with this, and help me realize my dream of studying abroad.

Also, I hope the government changes something about this soon because it's basically killing some of our academic careers. I mean, just because our parents earn over the bracket doesn't mean they'll automatically invest it in us/we'll get the money...

Carpe Diem: Seize the Day/Moment. -Horace

Veni, Vidi, Vici: I came, I saw, I conquered -Julius Caesar

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Halo345 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: College and Money - August 31st 2011, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
I'm in exactly the same predicaments as you. Parents earning over the 'financial aid limit,' having a very small scholarship fund (only enough for one of five years), and working while knowing I'm not going to have enough in the end unless I work full time... It's scary but I'm hoping something comes along in the future to help me with this, and help me realize my dream of studying abroad.

Also, I hope the government changes something about this soon because it's basically killing some of our academic careers. I mean, just because our parents earn over the bracket doesn't mean they'll automatically invest it in us/we'll get the money...
Exactly. My dad worked in the insurance/stock market making +100k before 9/11.. He was considered one of the best in his company but due to cut backs he was laid off. Over the course of 2 years, we went through my college fund, retirement fund and most of our savings and had to get a second mortgage. This leaves very little for my "college fund" when my dads 50 and I have a younger brother to still get through middle school and high school. Sure, my dad makes a chunk of money now, not even close to what he was making before, but enough to keep everything going.

Its just blahhhh.

Closed Thread