TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
AmazonQueen Offline
Why so Serious?
I've been here a while

Name: Jess

prepairing for university...highschool courses help?? - August 28th 2011, 06:52 PM

So I am starting grade 11 and need to change my schedual. I am taking biology grade 11 and 12 and chem 11 but i've had such a hard time with chemisty last year i happened to have a teacher who wasnt quite up to par and the whole class was struggling. I am avoiding chemistry like the plague but i dont want to screw myself over because the pre reqs say chem 40s for both Kenesiology & Applied Health and Physical Therapy.

What happens if I don't meet the requirements for the courses I want to go into? Will they not except me or just make me do year one? Also I am wondering if year one accululates alot of extra debt and what it's like my sister took it for nursing but she had to take greek mythology and astronomy which is completely irrelivant to medical

The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows.
It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.
You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward.
How much you can take, and keep moving forward.
PM me if you need to talk about ANYTHING.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: prepairing for university...highschool courses help?? - August 29th 2011, 06:50 PM

If the prereqs state high-school chemistry, there's no way around that but you need to get an A in it if your overall marks are high. They may put you on a probational or conditional acceptance in that you'd need to get a certain mark in first-year chemistry. Keep in mind, kinesiology relies heavily on biology, so if those marks are good, then you'd likely be successful.

First-year is almost always the hardest and you'll likely get the lowest marks of all the years you attend university. While that sounds shitty, graduate schools don't care about first-year as they know you'll likely have shitty marks. It usually starts a bit slow and goes over basic stuff you should've learned in high-school, such as stoichiometry, extremely basic organic chemistry, some inorganic chemistry and many, many labs. When I was in first-year, I had a pretty hard prof who insisted we learn how to derive Schrodinger's Equation but you probably will not have that.

I've always been better at organic chemistry rather than thermodynamics and similar inorganic stuff.

I notice your location is in Canada. I'm also in Canada, in my last year doing some biomedical research amongst other courses at University of Toronto, so I can give some insight if you're applying nearby.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
AmazonQueen Offline
Why so Serious?
I've been here a while

Re: prepairing for university...highschool courses help?? - August 29th 2011, 07:39 PM

well i am hoping to get into university or manitoba or winnipeg primarily. my main thing is that i'm trying to AVOID all uneccessary debt my sister regretted taking year one and gave her extra deubt and i want to avoid that. and it feels like theres SO MUCH MORE pressure to succeed the first time I like biology and want to do biology instead im confident i can do well in that subject it just doesnt make sense to me how chem is a pre req and not biology

It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.
You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: prepairing for university...highschool courses help?? - August 30th 2011, 04:38 AM

Many biology courses and majors do require chemistry as it has great importance. For example, you can learn of the effects of a compound binding to a receptor but chemistry will explain how it binds and to an extent, why. I'm very confused when you say biology is not a prereq. Are you sure you've read the prereqs correctly? What program (if any) did you apply for at the universities? For some courses, it will list the prereqs but may also have a list of recommended but not required courses. For example, a 3rd year molecular biology course states the various prereqs but also recommended preparation of 3rd year structural biochemistry. Also, some courses may list prereqs as well as corequisites. If you're in a biology program, it makes no sense why biology is not a prereq.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
AmazonQueen Offline
Why so Serious?
I've been here a while

Re: prepairing for university...highschool courses help?? - August 30th 2011, 07:09 AM

kenesiology and applied health - chemistry 40s and either pre-calculus mathematics 40s or applied mathematics 40s are required for the B Sc in exercise science

(pre professional) Medical Rehabilitation: physical therapy & respitory therapy - regular requirements apply; chemistry 40S, biology 40S, pre-calculus mathematics 40S or applied mathematics 40S; physics 30S or 40S and english are recommended

those are the pre reqs word for word exactly, perhaps i am misunderstanding them? is chemsitry required or recommended?

Last edited by AmazonQueen; August 30th 2011 at 05:14 PM.

Closed Thread