TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

A level / IB tips - September 1st 2011, 10:17 PM

Hello,

I'm about to start 6th form and I'm just looking for some words of advice when I start because I really want to do well and prove to myself that I can do well regardless of any on going injury that I have

Things such as organisation and stuff would be helpful

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: A level / IB tips - September 2nd 2011, 02:55 AM

Hey there,

I've just finished my A Levels this year so I hope I can give you some good advice

Having folders for each individual subject is a must, it stops you from getting your notes mixed up and it means everything is easier for you to find when it comes to revision time.

In class don't sit next to people you think will distract you. I sat next to my ex for a while and we used to talk a lot and not pay much attention so my AS grades suffered but after we broke up and I began sitting with other people or on my own I found I concentrated better and my grades got better too.

Buy revision guides, don't just rely on the textbooks you get given. Sometimes having the topic worded in a different way can help you understand better so having multiple books on the same subject is good. Amazon sell them pretty cheaply second hand and also play.com. There are also a lot of revision websites out there to help and if you let me know what subjects you're doing then if any are the same as what I did then I could link you to some pretty useful sites

Don't leave homework until the last minute. This is pretty much true whatever age you are but especially with things like coursework you don't want to leave it until the last minute since then if you get stuck or need more materials then you won't have a lot of time to get it finished in.

Work out the best way that you revise now before the second year so you can increase your chances of revising effectively. People learn in different ways so it's important to find out what works for you. Personally, I sort of went against what my teachers said and did a lot of last minute revision because that's what worked for me. You might find that doing an hour or two a day works best for you. Also, work out how to revise. I made posters of all the major topics and did loads of past papers as my revision but there are lots of other ways of doing revising. For example, record yourself saying keywords and play it back to yourself, make flashcards, make a video, test your friends and have them test you etc.

And finally, don't be afraid to ask the teachers for help, it's what they're there for. In my younger years I rarely asked teachers for help because I was too shy but in A Level I realised that sometimes there are things that you just can't do on your own.

I hope this helped and good luck with your studies

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: A level / IB tips - September 2nd 2011, 01:12 PM

Thanks a bunch I'm taking IB so I'm doing ... higher English philosophy and history and standard maths German and physics / biology

With the revision thing ... my really good method of revision is turning it into some form of a comic but that's time consuming so I'm still finding the prime method

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Perplexity Offline
Per sempre <3
I've been here a while

Name: Shaz

Re: A level / IB tips - September 2nd 2011, 01:25 PM

I have to agree with everything Cara said above! I've just finished my first year of college and am going into my second on Wednesday eeek. Here's some things that worked well for me in the first year:

Like Cara said, having individual folders for each subject is a must. However, some people at my college carried around lever arch folders as you will probably be doing several subjects and carrying one for each can make your bag heavy! What I did was I carried a lever arch for college and put all my notes and sheets from the day into it. Then, when I got home I would transfer all the sheets and notes into a different folder for each. I also colour co-ordinated so for me, blue was French, yellow was Film Studies, aqua was Pyschology and pink was Sociology.

One thing that was so invaluable to me was a planner. Lots of people get them in school, but most of the time don't use them, but at college, I think it's essential to start using one. In classes, you'll be given deadlines for homework, coursework and exam days and you need somewhere to write them down so you don't forget. While many teachers will remind you a day or two before when things need to be handed in, at university, no one will come running after you for work that needs handing in - it's up to you to do the work for the day it's due in. Honestly, a planner was a lifesaver for me this year and I have a new one to use for the second year, also.

I also agree that you should ask whenever you need help. You teachers are there to teach, but they're also there to support you. Many people find that A Levels are quite a leap from GCSE (for certain subjects), so if you find it difficult to adjust to at first, don't worry. All my teachers gave us their emails so we could email them about anything and I found that really helpful. There will also probably be drop-in sessions where you can drop by to ask a question. If you have a question or something you're unsure about, don't be afraid to ask! They won't know unless you tell them.

I hope this helped. Have a great time at college.

Closed Thread