TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Home vs Halls - September 3rd 2011, 07:52 PM

I'm off to university in a few weeks. I'm really nervous. I applied for accommodation but I haven't heard from them. Since I am classed as local, I doubt I will get into accommodation. If I don't get in, I can't apply for private accommodation because it's way too expensive and I can't cook so I need a catered option. So I have been weighing out the pros and cons for staying in halls and here, at home.

Accommodation

Pros:

It's really close to the university. 5 mins walk away.
I would get the whole "uni experience"

Cons:

Expensive.
I am really worried about housemates if they don't like me, since I had a hard time with people at school.

Home

Pros:

Cheaper (to travel than to stay at accommodation)
Won't have to worry about housemates.
I would feel more comfortable.

Cons:

Won't get the "uni experience" but since I'm not into going out and partying, I don't think it would matter.
Bit of a distance. 15 min walk to train station. 30 mins on train. 10 mins on another train and 25 min walk to uni. I think it's possible, what do you think?

As far as independence goes, I don't think it matters. If I stay here I don't think I will feel more attached or harder to move out because I want to own my own house and have control over my house. My mum knows that as well, she said that she would help me pay for my house (in the distant future). And my mum said that if I couldn't get accommodation in the 2nd year, or it was too expensive, I could stay here anyway. But I don't think my mum is keen on me staying here for the first year, I don't know why.

In all honesty, I would prefer to stay here than stay in accommodation. What do you guys think?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
JellyBean4986 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Leenie beanie :)

Re: Home vs Halls - September 4th 2011, 03:52 AM

This is really completely up to you. If you don't mind commuting back and forth to school then it might be wise to live at home for your first year till you get use to everything. Sometimes it can be hard living on campus because its such a big ajustment.

On the other hand, it will also be new to all kids in your year, so most of the kids in your classes will be adjusting to the same thing. It can be easier fitting in with people if you're all kind of going through the same things and trying to adjust to school life together. If you were to wait till next year, there would be new students but they would be younger then you, and probably not in any of your classes.

Its up to you, you could also live at home and become friends with potenial room mates for the following years if you would rather know people well in advance. Somtimes it can be hard tho, cause you really don't truely know someone until you live with them, lol.

Your the only one who knows whats right for you. If you live at school and don't like it then you can live at home the next semester, or vice versa. Do what feels right to you, but don't be afraid to take chances.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Home vs Halls - September 4th 2011, 09:19 AM

I commute to university and this is the following for a one-way trip. I have my father drive me to the train station (~8 mins drive in good traffic, up to 12 mins in bad traffic). From there, the train ride is about 15-20+ mins, unless there's some sort of delay. I then take a bus from the train and it arrives into campus, around a 17-20 mins ride. So in total, in good traffic with no delays, it takes a bit over 40 minutes. It's not that bad since I'm not driving, so I usually do the sudokus and cross-words (I'm crap at cross-words usually) in the free newspapers I pick up at the train station, or simply listen to music, sleep, eat, drink, or read other stuff. If I were to walk to campus, it'd be probably a few hours walk. I thought about biking there to get some exercise, however, there were frequent reports of bike thefts, so I didn't bother.

I prefer living at home not only to save money but it makes the entire experience easier. When I study late at night on campus with a friend who lives in the dorms, I often just spend the night there if I have an early morning class.

The main concerns I've found from being on residence are you may have annoying room-mates, loud neighbours and the food on residence is often putrid.

The "uni experience" of partying can still be done if you're living at home, simply go with friends to the dorm, party there and if need be, sleep there if they allow it. My university doesn't mind if people have a few guests in the dorms to stay the night, it's no problem, however, it often isn't very spacious, so you cant have many guests and you should be prepared to sleep on the floor or chair (I prefer floor).

My parents preferred I stayed at home purely for saving money, otherwise they were fine if I stayed in dorms. Besides, if you choose to stay in dorms, you can visit your folks every week or 2 weeks and on holidays, plus use Skype to talk to them daily.

I think it's truly a waste of money for you to stay on residence since you live pretty close to the university. You're not going to be left out of partying, simply make friends with party-goers and you can party like them. You may be perceived as being a bit odd since you live so close to university yet choose to live in residence, as many people in residence frequently reflect on their parents and family "back home" but for you, that's not the same since it's just a quick jog back home.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Home vs Halls - September 4th 2011, 09:19 AM

I commute to university and this is the following for a one-way trip. I have my father drive me to the train station (~8 mins drive in good traffic, up to 12 mins in bad traffic). From there, the train ride is about 15-20+ mins, unless there's some sort of delay. I then take a bus from the train and it arrives into campus, around a 17-20 mins ride. So in total, in good traffic with no delays, it takes a bit over 40 minutes. It's not that bad since I'm not driving, so I usually do the sudokus and cross-words (I'm crap at cross-words usually) in the free newspapers I pick up at the train station, or simply listen to music, sleep, eat, drink, or read other stuff. If I were to walk to campus, it'd be probably a few hours walk. I thought about biking there to get some exercise, however, there were frequent reports of bike thefts, so I didn't bother.

I prefer living at home not only to save money but it makes the entire experience easier. When I study late at night on campus with a friend who lives in the dorms, I often just spend the night there if I have an early morning class.

The main concerns I've found from being on residence are you may have annoying room-mates, loud neighbours and the food on residence is often putrid.

The "uni experience" of partying can still be done if you're living at home, simply go with friends to the dorm, party there and if need be, sleep there if they allow it. My university doesn't mind if people have a few guests in the dorms to stay the night, it's no problem, however, it often isn't very spacious, so you cant have many guests and you should be prepared to sleep on the floor or chair (I prefer floor).

My parents preferred I stayed at home purely for saving money, otherwise they were fine if I stayed in dorms. Besides, if you choose to stay in dorms, you can visit your folks every week or 2 weeks and on holidays, plus use Skype to talk to them daily.

I think it's truly a waste of money for you to stay on residence since you live pretty close to the university. You're not going to be left out of partying, simply make friends with party-goers and you can party like them. You may be perceived as being a bit odd since you live so close to university yet choose to live in residence, as many people in residence frequently reflect on their parents and family "back home" but for you, that's not the same since it's just a quick jog back home.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Home vs Halls - September 4th 2011, 11:11 AM

Thanks for replying, guys.

I wish it was up to me. My mum thinks that even though I am local, I will still get into halls and has started buying me things like duvet and stuff. I only applied for halls because at that moment in time, I didn't know if I could travel there and also because my mum wanted me to. Now, I just really don't want to. But I'm afraid to tell my mum because she will just get angry with me. I think if I tell her it is cheaper to travel than to stay in halls, she might or might not argue.

Why me? Lol.

Anyway, thanks again for replying

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Troubled_Heart Offline
Used to be Ianto Jones
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Melissa
Location: The room where it's red and black and evil people walk around pointing and laughing at you

Re: Home vs Halls - September 4th 2011, 05:26 PM

Halls would be good because it gives you a place to start in making friends It's unlikely that you'll be on courses with them and means you'll have a wider variety of friends It also means that you can get more done as less time will be spent travelling. Being at home might also stop you from doing as much work, as home is considered relaxing.
Obviously it is more expensive but you have to think if you believe it will be worth it. You should consider home sickness too... This can really affect your work and causes lots of people to drop out, if you feel this will bother you you may want to stay at home.
Only you can chose, you should go with your heart, in the future, will you regret not staying in halls and having the full experience? But by making a long and detailed list you could count up the pros and cons and even give them points on importance to you, this way you pick the one with the most points
Xxx

When life gives you one thousand reasons to cry, show life one million reasons to SMILE!

Send a message via MSN to Troubled_Heart Send a message via Yahoo to Troubled_Heart  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Poppy

Re: Home vs Halls - September 4th 2011, 08:48 PM

I always wanted to be independent and live out of halls, but now I'm here I love it!
The hall I'm on partys more than I do which occassionally gets annoying, but most of the time it's fine. and you'll find that at uni people are as judgemental as they were in school - everyone's starting out in the same boat, they won't have a gang of friends behind them to back them up, plus most people grow up a lot before uni.
Personally I would hate not having the social aspect of halls now I'm here ... I've met some amazing people who I expect to be friends with for a very long time, and I only go out when I want to ... I think you'll like it too

You can't move mountains by whispering at them.

Take a look at my art here:
http://attemptedart.tumblr.com/

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Home vs Halls - September 4th 2011, 09:00 PM

I have to agree with Bryden. I'm heading to university next week and I share the same worries about halls as you do but living at home isn't really an option for me but even if I were going to a university closer to home then I'd still prefer to stay in Halls.

If you do desperately have problems with your housemates then the university do try and move you elsewhere so if things do get too much for you then you do still have the option of leaving but most people will be feeling exactly the same as you so it's unlikely you'll have too many issues.

Also, it might help if you see if your university has a fresher's Facebook page so you can get to know a few people before you go which might make you feel a little better

(#9 (permalink)) Old
TheCrowing Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Re: Home vs Halls - September 5th 2011, 03:56 AM

I planned on commuting at first, but changed my mind at the last second. I realized that it's better to try it out and change my mind later than to regret not trying it at all.

Honestly, I get along with my roommate and suitemates, but none of us actually talk to each other or hang out. But I have met so many people that I get along with, so it makes up for the fact that I rarely talk to them.

I don't party either, but I've never had this much fun in one week. Just being able to have your own space and meet new people, develop relationships, it's great. I went to one party (Weird since I don't dance or drink at all), and I had such a good time. I think if I chose to commute, I wouldn't be so happy here.

I say try it and if you don't like it, don't do it again.

"Although only breath, words which I command are immortal." Sappho

"Sometimes I feel nothing at all. Sometimes I feel everything is my fault.
Sometimes I feel the hate break my mind. Sometimes I feel they deserve it this time.
May the bridges I burn light my way." - I, Alone - Otep

Closed Thread