TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Noah Zomby Offline
<3
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Noah Mohandas Tanner

Colleges with a good arts program - September 18th 2011, 06:15 PM

Hey all, so about a few days ago, my homeroom teacher gave us a sheet that asked us a lot questions about what we want to do after high-school. The first dozen or so were easy, but then it go to the part where I had to list colleges I wanted to go to. Now this part, is where I got stuck. There's someone at my church who went to Oberlin and said that, if I wanted him to, he would be more than happy to write me a letter of recommendation to there, so I put that on there. I also would like to go to college in NY, so I put like "NY State" because I don't know any other colleges there. as for the rest, I just put the colleges here in NC that I know of. After all this I started thinking more and more about college. I want to go to a 4-year college. Also I would like it to have dorms. I would also like to go to a college with a really really good and active arts department (such as Oberlin) with me being a musician, actor, and writer. So, does anyone know of any good colleges like what I'm describing? I'm a sophomore, so I'm not in a HUGE rush to get what I want down, just I'm really curious as to where I could go to further my education after high-school.

Risk something, take back what's yours.
Say something that you know they might attack you for.
Cause I'm sick of being treated like I have before.
Like it's stupid standing for, what I'm standing for.

When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die.

Your voice is your own, I can't protect it.

You'll have to sing.
A verse no one has ever, known.
Don't be afraid.
Cause no one ever sings, alone.
Love all.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Colleges with a good arts program - September 18th 2011, 07:00 PM

It might help to first decide how far away from home you want to be. Since you're thinking dorms I'm guessing you want to be away from home, but I knew a guy who grew up in the city that the college was in, but lived in the dorms to be on his own. I commuted since I lived 10 minutes away and it was a lot cheaper. Once you've narrowed it down to a geographical area, make a list of all the 4 year colleges you can find in those states and then look for the specific major and/or programs that you want. Google is your friend in this case! I'm pretty sure all 4-year schools have dorms and also remember that money may be an issue, especially if you're paying out -of -state tuition. Make sure when you're looking at cost to look at the right column (in-state tuition/fees for NC and out-of-state everywhere else). I know it might be overwhelming, but it really isn't that bad and you have some time to figure it out before you start applying.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
TheCrowing Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Re: Colleges with a good arts program - September 20th 2011, 01:51 AM

Art schools in NY state? I know of a few in the city.. Look into Parsons, Pratt, NYU..

Or better yet, go to the collegeboard website, and they have a college search thing, where you can literally pick what you want and they'll match you up with schools that meet your criteria.

"Although only breath, words which I command are immortal." Sappho

"Sometimes I feel nothing at all. Sometimes I feel everything is my fault.
Sometimes I feel the hate break my mind. Sometimes I feel they deserve it this time.
May the bridges I burn light my way." - I, Alone - Otep

Closed Thread