TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Education and Careers (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/)
-   -   Career College Prep just got interesting. (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/t84335-career-college-prep-just-got-interesting/)

blurryface September 19th 2011 04:34 PM

Career College Prep just got interesting.

So I'm a freshman in high school and it's required that freshman take CCP, or College Career Prep.
Yeah... sucks.
I've always been adamant (sp?) about not going to college, I don't wanna go through four+ more years of education, blah blah blah. I've also put my foot down that I wanna do something associated with music (preferably, musician, singer/songwriter)
But... I just might be picking my foot back up.
I took a career cluster inventory test thing (forgot what it's called) and I found that my top three...clusters? were Arts, Audio/Visual Technology and Communications, Information Technology, and Health Science.
I wasn't shocked about the Arts thing, but the other two blew me away.
Then it told me to pick three careers that interested me the most, and I picked
ARTS: graphic design, singer, writer
INFO TECH: computer and information system manager, computer engineer, web developer
HEALTH: medical assistant, pharmacy technician, health information technician
So, what you guys think?

Kate* September 19th 2011 04:44 PM

Re: Career College Prep just got interesting.

Graphic design and all the choices in the other 2 categories will require college, but if you get into something and realize that you'd really enjoy it then college is worth it. You have plenty of time to figure this stuff out. Do some research into everything you have listed and see if you could picture yourself doing any of them. Even if you wanted to be a singer or a writer college could help you. I had a friend get his master's degree in some form of vocal music and I think he had to write a performance or something to graduate and he wrote his own songs. If you want to be a writer it might be good to have some college classes under your belt, especially if you're thinking that you want to be published someday.

Dream September 19th 2011 04:54 PM

It is incredibly difficult to make it as a musician. It is good to have a backup plan. You should give serious consideration to some other options.

That being said- don't rely so heavily on a career inventory test. Find out what the careers, and the fields of study, are actually like from other sources.

blurryface September 20th 2011 04:12 PM

Well I've always been interested in graphic design. I love to do things on Paint, etc., I love to edit photos, etc., etc., so I'm really considering that. (: