TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
semiunbalanced Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Kimmi

Semester at Sea? - September 20th 2011, 04:38 PM

It's this AMAZING study abroad program for undergraduate students or students with a gap year and I REALLY want to do it. You can do a short-term voyage or a long-term voyage. The one I'm most interested in is the semester 2013 voyage. The idea of studying abroad to different countries really didn't appeal to me at all. This, however, sounds right up my alley.

I just went on the Cruise of a lifetime and had a blast! I absolutely LOVED living on a ship for a week and I definitely got comfortable with the other people aboard the ship. The voyage gives you 12-15 transferrable credits into the college you're attending (which is full-time) and it lasts for 107 days. In the 107 days it goes to 14 different countries. When you get to port you can get off the ship and explore the countries with your friends. I think this opportunity would be INSANELY amazing. They have a full library onboard as well as 8 different classrooms (maybe even more), several different lounges, and a sports deck. They have a fitness center and a spa as well as a student union... it basically has all the things an on land college has!

My problem is... nobody else in my family has ever studied abroad. How do I convince my parents that this is what I want to do REALLY badly?? Not to mention, the cost! My parents said something about, "Save your pennies." but there's no way I could cover the cost even after saving all this money for it. I've already downloaded the applications for financial aid and everything. I just need to talk to my advisors about this particular study abroad program. Any advice?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Re: Semester at Sea? - September 22nd 2011, 03:34 PM

If this is something you really want to do, you should definitely do it. It's scary, going away for that long of a period and so far away from home. But, you'd be doing it in college anyway if you decide to go to a 4-year university away from home.

I had a friend who just studied abroad for a year, and she loved it. It's great opportunities you might not be able to get in this lifetime again. Of course, the cost might be a problem but you have the right thing in mind: financial aid, grants and scholarships will all be your friend right now. Also, look into the costs of a passport, since you'll need one to leave the country and enter new countries when you reach port.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
semiunbalanced Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Kimmi

Re: Semester at Sea? - September 22nd 2011, 04:41 PM

I already have a passport since I needed one for my Cruise so my parents paid that fee last year. Now I'm looking into a less-expensive Semester at Sea voyage. It's a summer program that offers a semester worth of credits for 60 days and 7 countries. My dad shoots down every argument though. He says it's not worth the 12,000 dollars. I get that it is a huge chunk of money but I feel like it's so worth it. He said all I keep talking about is the "coolness factor" and I could probably just save my money for another cruise. The problem is.. I wouldn't pay for a cruise at this young of an age because it doesn't benefit me in any way. I could save up for a car or house or something. The study abroad benefits me in so many different ways, especially at this age. Student loans are my dad's biggest concern. He's basically saying I'll be in debt before ever going to grad school and then I'll be stuck. /: So he won't let me do it. I'm getting so frustrated.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Re: Semester at Sea? - September 22nd 2011, 11:47 PM

Print out as much information as you can on these summer voyages. Maybe if he knew the pro's and con's to taking a semester at sea/over seas, he'd be more on your side about. I can understand him being iffy since $12,000 is a lot of money, but it's benefiting you in ways he might not understand right now. Get as much info as you can on these voyages, and share them with him. If he shoots it down again, you can STILL do these voyages without his/your parents permission. You can get the $12,000 through scholarships, loans, grants and/or financial aid. You can have one or more of these at the same time. Of course, loans you'd have to pay back over time, but it's something to look into. You're 18, and you can make these decisions on your own without their approval. Do what YOU think is best for YOU.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Maverick. Offline
Deep Thinker
I've been here a while

Name: Anthony

Re: Semester at Sea? - September 23rd 2011, 01:49 AM

My older sister went to semester at sea. It's really fun. It just costs a fortune though.

You've had a landscaper and a house keeper since you were born
The sunshine always kept you warm.

Closed Thread