TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Jobs having to do with the justice system - September 30th 2011, 12:29 AM

I'm majoring in criminology, but I haven't decided on what kind of career I want. I'm just wondering anyone can fill me in on jobs having to do with the justice system (not cops, but like investigating or even something in the law office). I've taken many classes on both criminology & law & I know either would work for me, but obviously I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a major that I don't even end up doing. Please & thank you in advance!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Dream Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Jobs having to do with the justice system - September 30th 2011, 03:55 AM

If it were me, I would want to couple criminology with computer skills (IT/CS) or skills in statistics to increase the chances of getting a job. I'm not sure what would be best, and I would recommend looking into the kinds of agencies that would hire a person with background in criminology and see if a pattern emerges.

I'd say look at the kinds of places you might want to work at that are related to your interests, and then figure out how to get there. I've taken criminology, but all the jobs where you directly apply criminology, like maybe working at the FBI, would likely require you to have a technical knowledge of statistics and measurement. Some people study it in order to become a police officer. You might be able to find a position in some kind of law enforcement agency not as a police officer as well.

But the truth is, in any case, that most people end up with jobs that have nothing to do with their major.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Jobs having to do with the justice system - October 1st 2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream View Post
If it were me, I would want to couple criminology with computer skills (IT/CS) or skills in statistics to increase the chances of getting a job. I'm not sure what would be best, and I would recommend looking into the kinds of agencies that would hire a person with background in criminology and see if a pattern emerges.

I'd say look at the kinds of places you might want to work at that are related to your interests, and then figure out how to get there. I've taken criminology, but all the jobs where you directly apply criminology, like maybe working at the FBI, would likely require you to have a technical knowledge of statistics and measurement. Some people study it in order to become a police officer. You might be able to find a position in some kind of law enforcement agency not as a police officer as well.

But the truth is, in any case, that most people end up with jobs that have nothing to do with their major.
Yeah, I've heard that a lot of people don't go into careers that match their majors. But all the same, I love criminology & I would still love to have a career in that field.

So would you think the technology part would be an easy minor? Like I could possibly double minor that with something else?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Jaq Offline
Locksmith
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Jobs having to do with the justice system - October 2nd 2011, 01:15 AM

Hi, Sincerely Yours.

As a licensed Locksmith I can personally tell you there are many career paths available for someone seeking employment within the government. Locksmiths specialize in the field of security. I deal with CCTV camera installations, safes and anything that falls within the field of security.

There are Investigative Locksmiths too, however this is probably not the field for you since you said you wanted something that sounds like "office work investigative". You could simply try to find administrative jobs within a police department or law office.

You do not need a degree. It would not matter if you had one because the sooner you find an administrative job in the field you want it is all about how quickly you pick up the material. Real world experience is what counts the most. You just need to convince the employer to give you a chance.

Most importantly going to college leaves many people with a huge debt to pay off. Look up "occupy wall street" on a search engine.

Closed Thread