TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
into creation x Offline
Not a n00b

Question Thoughts on quitting job to travel? - October 2nd 2011, 04:56 PM

So I'm 19 and have a full time job which I'm reasonably happy with but I've wanted to travel for some time now and have looked into places in Europe where you just work 25 hours or so a week in return for food and accommodation. This is on a website called WorkAway, have any of you heard of it and/or used it?

I'm a bit worried though if this a good idea to do this right now. I can afford it as have been working 2 jobs since the start of this year and have saved. I've recently been feeling stressed out so I quit my other job yesterday. I lose my driving licence in just over a week so won't be able to drive to work although there are other means to get there, just going to add an extra couple of hours to my days in travelling as will have to use public transport. I also finish my nvq2 in 2 or 3 weeks time.

Does it sound like a good time to go to you?

I probably can do the next level nvq3 if I stay, but I have been given a warning at work so really am going to need to prove myself. My parents have pointed out that if I leave now it may be harder to get a job again with only a level 2 and I won't get my licence back for possibly a year or more so won't have my own transport until then. They think it's better if I knuckle down at work, stay and complete a level 3 nvq by which time I should get my licence back therefore be more employable also.

The thing is, I don't even know if I'm happy. I feel like I need to get away, see the world, explore, be inspired. Not be around stressed people! I feel like if I got away, I would feel free and get my head together, maybe figure out what I want to do, find out who I am?!

I'd like to know your thoughts on this, and please don't be shy to tell me I'm crazy!

Thanks

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Thoughts on quitting job to travel? - October 2nd 2011, 10:37 PM

Your main problem is your job right? I'd recommend sticking with it for another year and getting the level 3 thingy you need. I'll explain why.

You don't want to come back after your travels to end up with no job prospects because you couldn't control your needs to travel.

It's good you are financially stable and everything too because it lets you know you can do it if you want to.

Plus you're 19 in a years time you'll be 20/21 which is a good time to travel, because a lot of people travel after university so its not like you'll be out of the norm or anything

The main reason why I don't see you losing your job as the smartest thing right now is because of how unpredictable the economy is

If you do decide to travel, make the most of it! you're in a fortunate position from what I've read... options are always valuable!

Keep what I've said in mind and get other opinions as well

Hey, guess why i smile a lot... because it's worth it

People who don't want you to think are never your friends.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Jas Offline
aka Xamed
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Thoughts on quitting job to travel? - October 3rd 2011, 12:42 AM

My gut instinct is to tell you to go, but I'm biased. (I'm 20, and in three months I'm picking up and moving to Europe.)

I don't really understand how important the NVQ levels are (I did a quick google search on them but it didn't tell me too much) so I suppose I would say go if they aren't of very high importance to your career down the line. On a work related note, travel can be applicable to your CV - you may learn skills while traveling that could be useful to an employer (different languages, relevant jobs abroad, overall ability to adapt, etc) so I wouldn't write a year abroad off as useless experience wise. ..but I also wouldn't go expecting to 'find yourself' and figure out what you want to do for the rest of your life. It might be amazing, it might be awful. My former roommate lived in Australia for three years and had a fantastic, life changing time. Another friend moved to Spain and came home after four months with a drug addiction.

I guess what I'd ultimately say is: do your research. I've never heard of WorkAway, but find out more about it, figure out where you want to go, figure out what you need to do to make it happen, budget the hell out of yourself... and then once you've got more information than you could possibly need, follow your heart, as cheesy as that is. Good luck if you decide to go, but if you decide to stay I hope your nvq3 goes smoothly..

Closed Thread