TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Aureate Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Natalie

Cheating...? - October 5th 2011, 12:56 PM

Okay this is a little convoluted but if you can bear with me that'd be amazing

Basically there's a person in our course at uni who is very intelligent and tends to help people out a lot and explain concepts and stuff. Now we've just had a 50% assignment for a very hard topic (admin law... ick). Anyway, a lot of people asked him basic sorta questions, me included. But one of our friends (they are very close friends) asked him a lot of questions, and it even got to a point kinda where he was dictating answers to her and she'd write it down. (Not sure whether she was writing in her essay, or just sorta typing exactly what he said with plans to transfer it to her own words lately)

Anyway, so the other day someone tells that same friend that someone else has apparently lodged a complaint about collusion, between this person, but when she's telling my friend they use me as an example of what happening. Like 'Oh he was dictating and *my name* was writing down exactly what he said'

I am so paranoid now. Like, I am thinking maybe it was lodged with her mentioned, but the friend didn't want to tell her that? I don't know. But in anycase, I know I didn't cheat or do anything beyond the bounds of very preliminary stuff which everyone discusses with others. I might not be believed though, they tend to be really harsh on this sort of stuff and I am really worrying about it.

Also kinda angry as well, if they did use me as an example as it's a complete lie. Ergh.

Anyone have any thoughts/comments on what I should do? I am thinking I'll just leave it? It's just making me so worried though.

Whats the point of having a rapier wit if I can't stab people with it?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Re: Cheating...? - October 5th 2011, 06:09 PM

This is something to be worried about, at least to me it would be. Using you as an example is one thing, but accusing you of cheating is a completely different thing. You should definitely try to redeem yourself. If you're approached, tell the truth. Even show them your notes/essay, etc. to show them that you did absolutely nothing wrong. Rat out your friend if you have too. She's the one not putting in her part of the effort and is choosing to get answer's the easy way, by someone who knows this stuff. Until you're approached by the subject, just leave it. If you are, do as I said above.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Cheating...? - October 6th 2011, 04:49 AM

If you can, see how your friend's assignment was written to compare with yours. If the style isn't the same or very similar, then that can hopefully show you didn't use the content you allegedly wrote down. Also, if you can, get assignments or papers your friend did in other law courses to show how the style is inconsistent, suggesting she used exactly what the smart guy said.

I would also talk to the smart guy and chat him up so you can get a bit closer to him. Bring up the 50% assignment during a conversation and show you're nervous, so hopefully he'll be willing to comfort you, although don't say the real reason why you're nervous. Have him say he answered basic questions people asked him but also have him say your friend more or less mooched off him. You may need to make up a story where she mooched off you to get him willing to share. Point is, ideally have him say all this through text, e-mail, etc..., so if you are questioned, have him say what happened and present the evidence (only if he's unwilling to say).

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Closed Thread