TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Dandy113 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

I hate school - October 12th 2011, 05:52 AM

I've actually never hated school before up until now. Actually, up until this point I was a straight A student who was he'll bent on going to an Ivy League. Last year I was even a tutor for at risk kids. I've always managed everything on my own- signing up for SATs/PSATs, classes, programs, clubs, and applying for scholarships.

This year, I don't give a shit anymore. I moved to a new school, but the transition wasn't rough because I used to live in this area and I have friends here. I moved here because I wanted a better education (the schools he were better). Despite coming here for a better school life, I'm actually failing a couple of my classes, and it's not even halfway into the semester.

I don't get why I hate school here. It's not really much different from my old school, and the classes are easy. I didn't get into any honors or AP classes because I enrolled too late. I guess I kinda just gave up after not getting the classes I wanted. I really don't know what to do.

I've been crazy about college since I was 2. My life's dream is be accepted into Yale. I spent all 16 miserable years of my life being extremely obsessed with school. But I just don't care anymore. I don't even think I want to go to college anymore. My parents and I don't see eye to eye on me not wanting to go college. I don't know what to do at this point since I care so little about school. Any advice?

tl;dr: I used to be hell bent on college and have spent all my life as a workaholic but suddenly I don't give a shit anymore about grades. Advice?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
youbetheanchor Offline
Average Joe

Name: Jon

Re: I hate school - October 12th 2011, 10:30 AM

Is it too late to enter a Votech around you? That would secure you a decent job without college.

I'm doing the same thing, though. My junior year is testing what I know about myself and I'm so close to giving in. In the end, though, I'm working my ass off for my future family and that keeps me motivated.

Do NOT give up on yourself<3

"And if you sing to me sweet until then, I may never sail Virginia again"
~Jon
  Send a message via AIM to youbetheanchor Send a message via Skype™ to youbetheanchor 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Re: I hate school - October 12th 2011, 11:16 AM

Dandy, I know a thing or two about Yale. Go to their website and reacquaint yourself with it's greatness and your dream.

Two things: First, the transition might not be going as well as you think. You might know the school or be familiar with it, but that's different than actually being IN it, participating in it and making it your own. Transitions are about ownership, of moving in your head from being an 'outsider' to an 'insider'. That takes time, and it takes full participation. So, you're probably going thru the transition, even of it feels a bit more familiar to you, don't dismiss how unsettling it can be owning something new. Do more, join a team, get involved. The more you do, the more personal ownership you feel. And with owership, comes personal investment to do well.

Second (and this is a big one), don't let your ego get in your way (see: Yale). If you're used to being in AP/Honors classes and couldn't get into them now, It's understandable that you'd be disappointed. And when people are disappointed, they lose initiative (see: Yale). But, you have to do something with that disappointment so you don't crash and burn as a result. Feelings don't have to interfere, you have to find a way to prevent them from taking over (see: Yale).

You might realize that you're not defined by the classes you take, that they are not necessarily a reflection of how smart you are or a statement on your drive and motivation. In your case, it was an unfortunate timing thing, it wasn't personal!...something that can be overcome for next year. If you get back on track.

Yale is worth it.

PM me with the link of the post you'd like me to respond to.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
JellyBean4986 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Leenie beanie :)

Re: I hate school - October 12th 2011, 10:56 PM

Don't give up on yourself or your dream. Yale is pretty kick ass!

Closed Thread