TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Talking Studying in England - November 7th 2011, 06:34 PM

Okay, this could potentially get very long and complicated since I have 4 tabs open on this, so I apologise in advance.

I'm currently studying at college in Scotland and my education is completely funded by SAAS (students awards agency for Scotland). I really want to study English and Creative Writing but if I do that here, it means taking 4 highers at college next year and getting AAAB in those. But, there's a course in England I could do and I *think* I already qualify for that. That's my first question.

As of August 2010, my UCAS credits look like this:

Credit Points --------Level

32 -------------------- 7
90 -------------------- 6
216 ------------------- 5
30 -------------------- 4

I've done 3 highers (CCB) and an advanced higher (C) and redid one of the highers but got the same grade.
The entry requirements are: 240 UCAS points, including at least 4 Highers or Advanced Highers.
I'm pretty sure I've added this up right, but just to check, do I fulfill the entry requirements?

Okay, part two, the money.
Assuming I get into the course, according to this table I can get a tuition fee loan since I'd be a full time undergrad: http://www.canterbury.ac.uk/StudyHer...AtAGlance.aspx
Does anyone have any idea how much that might actually be?
(I want to do this: http://www.canterbury.ac.uk/StudyHer...sional-Writing)

The other thing is I'd be sharing a room that'd cost 161 per week for us both. Obviously we'd half on that, but can I get a loan for that too, even just for part of it, or would I need a job to pay for it all?
I'd try to get a job anyway I'm just not sure how much time I'd be able to work.

Obviously this is mostly hypothetical but I'd really like for it to work out so any information you can give me would be great!

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Studying in England - November 7th 2011, 06:40 PM

I'm not so sure on everything else but you should be able to apply for a maintenance loan (grant as well if your parents don't earn so much) to cover living costs such as rent, bills, food etc.

Also, if you fall into the low income catergory then some universities give away free bursaries.

Closed Thread