TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Veni Vidi Vici Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Unhappy Chicago Style Citation!!!! (15th edition) - November 14th 2011, 10:22 PM

Hey guys.. I've been having A LOT of trouble understanding how to use chicago style citation (the 15th/latest edition). My polisci paper is only 6 days away and I haven't started because of this reason... I JUST DON'T KNOW TO DO USE THIS!!!

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Carpe Diem: Seize the Day/Moment. -Horace

Veni, Vidi, Vici: I came, I saw, I conquered -Julius Caesar

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Raining Glitter Offline
Average Joe

Re: Chicago Style Citation!!!! (15th edition) - November 14th 2011, 10:37 PM

I never personally used Chicago style citation before... but I have a site that might help.

http://www.bibme.org/

Does it for you!

Say I wanted to you something from your post in a paper. This is what it would roughly look like (I kinda got lazy with filling in the info...)

Diem, Carpe. "Teen Help - Advice for Parents and Teens." Teen Help - Advice for Parents and Teens.
http://www.teenhelp.com (accessed November 14, 2011).

Here's a guide from UoI (smartzypantz school in Illinois) so it might help explain it a little more.

http://www.library.illinois.edu/lear...s/chicago.html

Last edited by Raining Glitter; November 14th 2011 at 10:38 PM. Reason: changed txt to color so it's easier to read.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Veni Vidi Vici Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Chicago Style Citation!!!! (15th edition) - November 17th 2011, 05:58 AM

I've read a bunch of these sites explaining it but I don't get how the format looks on the paper, how often you should put endnotes/footnotes in etc. High school did nothing to prepare me for this... :l

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Chicago Style Citation!!!! (15th edition) - November 21st 2011, 09:27 PM

Why do you have to use that style?

Hey, guess why i smile a lot... because it's worth it

People who don't want you to think are never your friends.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Bean Offline
*goes poof*
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Chicago Style Citation!!!! (15th edition) - November 21st 2011, 11:29 PM

I realise this is a bit late, but no-one seems to have answered it, so I'll try and help anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
I've read a bunch of these sites explaining it but I don't get how the format looks on the paper, how often you should put endnotes/footnotes in etc. High school did nothing to prepare me for this... :l

You add a citation in your paper every time you reference material that isn't your own.

I'll add an excerpt of an essay I wrote using Chicago 15th B style.
Parts of a paragraph I wrote:
Quote:
There is little or no standardisation found in the tools, the shape of the tool depends on the shape and form of the rock it was made from, however, over time, there are some signs of standardisation, including primitive bifacial working (Steele 1999).

For example, four hand axes, made from a rock found 100km away at the nearest were found, clearly suggesting some sort of population movement, or exchange (Clark 1988).
And then, at the end of the paper, in the section entitled 'Bibliography' I added the following references:

Quote:
Clark, J. Desmond. 1988. Transitions: Homo erectus and the Acheulian: the Ethiopian sites of Gadeb and the Middle Awash. Journal of Human Evolution 16 (7-8):809-826.

Steele, James. 1999. Palaeoanthropology: Stone legacy of skilled hands. Nature 399 (6731):24-25.
You do this for every paper, article, journal and book that you use to get information for your paper.

I hope that helps, if you have any more questions about it, or if it didn't clear it up, feel free to ask me (:
Hope you paper went well.

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: Chicago Style Citation!!!! (15th edition) - November 23rd 2011, 01:03 AM

"Mind your step I keep the overhead low, just the bed and the books and the rotary phone. Chicago Manual of Style keeps the prose right crisp, Minneapolis edition well it goes like this."

Lol, sry, rap-battling gets the better of me sometimes. I hate parenthetical references. Endnotes only with numbering in the damn text, please. Whatever it is they call that, Scientific Journal Style maybe.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Veni Vidi Vici Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Chicago Style Citation!!!! (15th edition) - November 26th 2011, 09:15 AM

chickenonsteroids: Some college classes ask for this style unfortunately...
Bean: Thanks! I've been explained the endnote way, but I can understand your footnote way of explaining
Jay: Haha yeah I noticed endnotes are way easier too, but still, this style is annoying as hell!!!

Closed Thread