TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Home vs halls- year 2 - November 25th 2011, 08:47 PM

So my first year of uni is going great. I love it, I like my course and I've made friends. Im the only one on my course who lives at home, because I got rejected from the uni halls as I was too local and I didn't bother looking for private accommodation as I thought it was too expensive. But everyone is already looking for houses for next year, and my friends asked me if I would like to get a house with them. I said I'll think about it, but I think they are looking for a definite answer now. And I just don't know.

I want to because:
Sometimes I can't stand being in my house
I would be with my friends.
My close friend (not in uni) told me I should consider it.

But at the same time I don't want to because:
It's expensive. I have savings and get a grant (not a loan...my parents are paying for the tuition fees, the grant is for travelling/accommodation and food and books etc) but I don't know if it's worth spending all that money, when it's cheaper to travel. I really want to own my own house, in the future, and I want some of my money to go towards that...
I can't cook, wash or iron my clothes
I like travelling. Sounds stupid but it's 10min walk to train station, 30mins on train and 20mins on bus, but I like it. I get to think things through and get reading done on the train and stuff. I thought that I would get fed up of travelling but I haven't.
I get bad period pains, and the only way to get rid of them, is to do lots of exercise regulary. Which I'm doing as I'm walking up hill, but if I stayed in accommodation there are no hills and there's no way I'm joining a gym.
2 of my friends drink, but the other one doesn't and neither do I. I don't want to be pestered to go out and get drunk. Plus, I worked hard to get to uni, I don't want to waste my parents money by staying out late, drinking, skiving off lectures and not doing work.
And lastly...
I would miss my family. My dad has alzheimers, and he declines rapidly because he is younger than other sufferers. I would miss the house and everything else.

So what do you think I should do? I really can't decide. Any help is much appreciated

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Dream Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Home vs halls- year 2 - November 26th 2011, 01:46 AM

I think you should stay at home. Your friends might become less likeable if you have to actually live with them, and it is better to save money and be healthy.

This is especially true if you don't want to get drunk and they do want to drink. It sucks to be around drunk people when you're sober.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Marguerite Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marguerite

Re: Home vs halls- year 2 - November 26th 2011, 03:35 AM

To be honest it sounds like you already know you want to stay at home. Milk it while it lasts I say. You're not going to be able to live rent free forever.

To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget

~Arundhati Roy

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Home vs halls- year 2 - December 7th 2011, 08:55 PM

Yeah, thanks for the replies.

A lot of feedback I had from other friends was to make sure that you get on with everyone really well, before moving in with them. But my friend has shown me her true colours and to be honest, I would much rather stay at home now.

Closed Thread