TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I can't get enough

Name: Cheye

Exclamation Too many options! - November 29th 2011, 04:37 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I know most people would love to be 15 and already be told that basically you can pick any thing you want to go after and do it, but I hate it because it's so difficult to pick. I got lucky in the fact that I'm academically gifted, even though I don't always apply myself, as well as musically and a few other ways as well. I know I should be grateful for it and I am, I truly am but I'm having such a hard time, I know I'm only a sophomore, but I have about 2 and a half years of high school left until I graduate and I really want to try to plan since I'm going all on grants, scholarships and student loans.

It's just hard to choose, I mean technically and academically, I could do almost anything I want to as a career. I love being creative like doing hair and make-up or fashion design, but those don't pay well. And well I wouldn't mind waking up everyday to go do a well paying job, it would suppress my creativity into just my free time which if I had a rather good paying job, I wouldn't have a lot of. It's a hard decision, if I was even drawn to one or the other more but that's not how it is.

Ugh! If I had my choice, I would probably hope to become a professional singer but that is so unrealistic. I've never had lessons of any kind because we couldn't afford them. Just some choir classes, as for instruments, well I play tons, and I write my own songs. But I could never get recognized, you need money for that, which our family doesn't have.

I just have no idea how to choose a direction, I've had so many ideas then I took a test on a government website to tell you what you would be good at personality wise, and I got so many things I never thought of but sound so great, so that sort of only made it worse and harder to choose. Now I have no clue what I even want to major in, let alone what I want as my career...

Resident old person, back from much needed, multiple year hiatus.

HelpLINK Mentor(1/28/11)Live Help Operator(5/28/11)Social Networking Team(2/9/12)Rape and Abuse Forum Moderator(2/11/12)Articles Team(7/17/12)Sex and Puberty Forum Moderator(7/28/12)Fashion and Style Forum Moderator(9/23/12)Chat Mod(10/13/12)Buddy(11/18/12)
  Send a message via MSN to Tigerlily. Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerlily. Send a message via Skype™ to Tigerlily. 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Akito Offline
Skeleton in a Citadel
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Amy, Akito, Aki.

Post Re: Too many options! - November 29th 2011, 06:50 AM

It sounds as though you've already thought about these options a lot. However, you need to think about it more. Research the options. Weigh the pros and cons of each career and major and look at those to help you see which is the best fit for you. Talk to other people who know you and ask them for advice, what they think is the best fit for you. Even better, speak to people who have had those careers. Ask about their pros and cons of the jobs. Also, ask about what they would have done in high school to prepare for those jobs.

Additionally, you've got a long while before your career is set in stone. Don't stress about it so much, but think about it gently and rationally. This is not something you have to rush into and decide right this minute. As you wrote, you're a sophomore, so you have at least two years to prepare and even longer to decide. You don't have to know your major right when you go to college, either. Many people don't even choose it until after freshman or sophomore year, after they have finished their general education. You can also change it at any time, it will just mean a longer period of going to school (and as a result, additional costs). You have plenty of time, no need to worry so much. : )

Also, don't be afraid of choosing something "unrealistic". If it's your passion, go for it. Plenty of now-famous musicians didn't have a lot of money when they started out. Take Debbie Reynolds for example. She was homeless at the start of her career. You should look into getting a loan or grant to help your profession take off (they're not just for going to universities).

I hope this helps. PM me if you'd like to chat; I'm always up for it. : )

"Who, being loved, is poor?"
- Oscar Wilde
- - - - - - -
- - - - - - -
"When all you've got is nothing,
there's a lot to go around."
- - - - - - -
"Though hope is frail,
it's hard to kill."
- - - - - - -
HelpLINK Mentor since 1/12/12.

Last edited by Akito; November 29th 2011 at 07:01 AM.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Chasers Offline
Dual-Spirit
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Chase

Re: Too many options! - November 29th 2011, 03:44 PM

Hey there,

Being fifteen and all those choices and pressure can be hard, but don't forget the most important part being in high school, have fun!

As hair and make up and all that stuff, there is money in it, you just have to find it. Have you ever thought about doing Hollywood hair and make up? It would give you a chance to meet famous people, if that is your thing, and to live well with money. I know my brother wants to go into videography so he has been doing research in that alone.

As for music, its not having the money, its knowing people. I played trumpet in high school and had tons of connections to play with more people and bigger opportunities. I passed that up due to other reasons.

But what I noticed about most in your post was money. Money shouldn't be an issue when picking out a career. You don't want to be tied down to a job you don't enjoy just for money. Right now my career is a pet sitter, money can be unsteady at times, but I do what I love. I worked for my local human society for six months making steady and good money, but I hated it. I felt like I went in every day to work to put down more puppies for reasons I couldn't justify in my head. I was unhappy and the money wasn't worth it.

Basic point of my post, Be Happy. Not rich. It will be worth it.

~Chasers

So stand in the rain
Stand your ground
Stand up when it's all crashing down
You stand through the pain
You won't drown
And one day, whats lost can be found
You stand in the rain
-SuperChick

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Dopey Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Too many options! - November 30th 2011, 03:03 PM

Architect?? Hardwork, well paid and creative. Just one of many options open to you.

But you are 15. Enjoy doing whatever its you love now. Keep focusing on the school work and the rest will fall into place. As you get older you'll get a better sense of what you want to do, but stress about it now. I made myself ill from stressing about similar things, and its not worth it. But rather than use the websites has your school got a careers advice office? The websites often give information overload where as talking to someone might help you make a better decision. Not that you need to do that yet, maybe in a year or so.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I can't get enough

Name: Cheye

Re: Too many options! - December 9th 2011, 11:35 PM

Thank you all for the help but I need to revive this topic I think. I've been thinking about going into beauty of some sort, whether it be hair, make-up, I'm not sure, but I do like the idea, I'm getting tons of books on it, I'm considering other things but this is certainly an interest. But I feel as though I'll disappoint my family if I only went to beauty school to learn how to do this career. My aunt says I can do what I want and to pick what makes me happy, not necessarily the best highest paying job, but she also said she doesn't want me to live like we do and we live paycheck to paycheck for the most part. But I know that these beauty jobs don't always have stable pay and don't always pay a lot. I feel that if I just went to beauty school it may disappoint them since I have the potential to be a great doctor, or lawyer, but instead I'm doing hair or make-up and sometimes scraping by.

Another thing is if there was nothing in my way and I could do absolutely anything, I would be a singer. I'm an aspiring singer/actress who can also dance and would love to do plus-size modeling. But the likely-hood of getting into any one of those is nearly impossible in reality. If I could even get into one though, it would open up my chances at showcasing the other talents and making it big with them. I do what I can but it's not a whole lot. Choir class, drama class, local thespian society. I even offer to model for friends who are aspiring fashion designers. But unless I get recognized in one, I have no chance in any of them.

Resident old person, back from much needed, multiple year hiatus.

HelpLINK Mentor(1/28/11)Live Help Operator(5/28/11)Social Networking Team(2/9/12)Rape and Abuse Forum Moderator(2/11/12)Articles Team(7/17/12)Sex and Puberty Forum Moderator(7/28/12)Fashion and Style Forum Moderator(9/23/12)Chat Mod(10/13/12)Buddy(11/18/12)
  Send a message via MSN to Tigerlily. Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerlily. Send a message via Skype™ to Tigerlily. 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
TheCrowing Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Re: Too many options! - December 10th 2011, 06:17 PM

You could always go for multiple things.

I always wanted to be a writer/English major and I was really good at math and physics. And I also have a huge interest in lgbtqa activism. But english majors and activists don't get paid much/at all.. So, I'm majoring in electrical engineering with a double minor in english and gender studies. Therefore I can study something that interests me and be able to make money, while concentrating on what I love.

You could do something similar but with what you want to do. Go for hair/make-up and concentrate also on music. It's important to find a balance between multiple things.

"Although only breath, words which I command are immortal." Sappho

"Sometimes I feel nothing at all. Sometimes I feel everything is my fault.
Sometimes I feel the hate break my mind. Sometimes I feel they deserve it this time.
May the bridges I burn light my way." - I, Alone - Otep

Closed Thread