TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
KatNap Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Kat

I suck at my job. - December 6th 2011, 09:35 PM

I just started a hostessing job 3 1/2 weeks ago and today was the worst day. It was very busy for a lunch shift and i'm the only hostess on. The mistakes I made..

Gave two servers too many people and they got frustrated with me.
Seated a person in a section that I waiter was "cut from". I never heard him tell me he was finished working but after getting mad at me he said he told me.
Disregarding four empty tables when it was really busy because i didn't think we had a server working there. Turns out we did...

And I can just imagine what the servers are saying about me when they go on their smoke breaks. Everyone working there has been for 2 years or more. They're all a few years older then me and I really don't know anyone.

I feel like such an idiot. I've always been good at all my other jobs and then I become a hostess and I can't do the easiest things properly. My boss wasn't there but a supervisor was and I think he felt bad for me. I'm working everyday for the rest of the week and i'm really dreading it. I'm scared they might fire me.
Do you think after working 3 1/2 weeks I don't have the "i'm new" excuse anymore?

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! / The world forgetting, by the world forgot / Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! / Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
lacylovebugg Offline
Not a n00b

Re: I suck at my job. - December 6th 2011, 09:43 PM

Everyone picks up on things at different speeds. And during a "rush" things are really hard to remember. You could forget even your own name. Mostly because your brain is thinking "OMG I have to remember this and this and that and let's not forget this. And if this happens, I have to do this or ask this person this"

I was thrown into learning something new on Black Friday. So I didn' get any training what so ever. I just watched what everyone else was doing and followed. i asked a gazillion questions. Because I felt that if they wouldn't train me, I would train myself.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you want to. They can't fire you for being inquisitive. But they can fire you for lack of initiative. Asking questions shows initiative.

As far as remembering what servers are covering where, why don't you ask when you start your shift and writ it down in a tiny notebook. There like a dollar at the store. Or take some extra time at the end of your shift to draw out the restaurant and write who works where. Put it in a cover and use an erase marker to write down who is working and what areas they are serving. Keep it at your stand. (If you have one. I know most restaurants do) When your done just wipe the names off and your ready for the next day (:

Edit:
You can also use it to keep track the number of guests a server is serving. Just circle the table or put dots around the table to indicate the number of people at the table. Then just wipe it off an do it again the next day.
Just some thoughts.
Hope this helps (:
PM me if you ever need anything (:

Last edited by lacylovebugg; December 6th 2011 at 09:45 PM. Reason: left something out (:

(#3 (permalink)) Old
FairyPoppins Offline
Never give up.
Senior TeenHelper

Arrow Go easy on yourself. - December 7th 2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatNap View Post
I just started a hostessing job 3 1/2 weeks ago... It was very busy for a lunch shift and i'm the only hostess on.
This is all the evidence I need to know that you don't suck at your job, but that you were put in a stressful situation which even an experienced hostess would find difficult.

So quit giving yourself such a hard time.
Quote:
And I can just imagine what the servers are saying about me when they go on their smoke breaks. Everyone working there has been for 2 years or more. They're all a few years older then me and I really don't know anyone.
You haven't even been there a month yet; give yourself some more time to get to know them.

If you're worried about what they're saying about you, ask them to give feedback to you. That way you can worry less about them criticising you behind your back and also learn from them.
Quote:
I feel like such an idiot. I've always been good at all my other jobs and then I become a hostess and I can't do the easiest things properly.
If you've never done hostessing before, it will take some time to get into it.

The good thing is that you are realising the mistakes you make and can therefore learn from them.
Quote:
My boss wasn't there but a supervisor was and I think he felt bad for me. I'm working everyday for the rest of the week and i'm really dreading it.
Just see this one day as "a bad day at the office". I'm sure you will find the rest of the week more bearable.

And hey, the fact that you kept going even though it was difficult, rather than running out of the building in tears, shows that you are capable of doing this job and that with a bit more practice, you will be fantastic at it.
Quote:
I'm scared they might fire me.
Yes, you are new and inexperienced, but they must have known that when they hired you. But so long as you show that you are eager to learn and continue to work hard, they have no reason to fire you.
Quote:
Do you think after working 3 1/2 weeks I don't have the "i'm new" excuse anymore?
I think that excuse applies for at least the first 3 months.

"You, and only you alone,
Can build a bridge across the stream..."

TeenHelper since 07/07/2005.

Closed Thread