TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Marguerite Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marguerite

Unsure about what uni to attend (+ any personal stories on the matter would be useful) - December 25th 2011, 12:49 PM

Okay so here is my problem. I applied to two universities (well three, but only two I have any interest in going too). I've already got my acceptance for the first (my local one) and the other one (interstate) won't come for about 3 weeks. I know that's kind of assuming I'll get in but I got a really high ATAR score (well above the clearly in rank), I'm finacially disadvantaged and thus part of a program which would get me in with a much lower score than I actually got and, frankly, I'm trying to get into arts and not something more competitive.

For the past year I've been working my ass off to get into the interstate one. It paid off because I got a really good score but now I'm not sure I want to go. I come from a small state (Tasmania) and I've always loved Melbourne. I wanted to live there, but now I'm really apprehensive about it, because, well, what if I hate it? What if I'm not capable? I know what it's like here. I know I can do it, and it's comfortable. Plus I have a strong support system here and will also know people at uni. Also, staying at home is not an option either way because my mum is moving far away. But it would probably be cheaper to stay for a poor student on centrelink like me. Scholarships haven't been offered yet so I can't speak about that front.

Oh, and on the universities themselves, the interstate one is far better. I wouldn't call my local one bad, it just caters to a large range of people, from really bright students to students who shouldn't really be in university in the first place (and who likely wouldn't have gotten in anywhere else). The other is one of the best in the country, but, given that, it's harder and a lot more competitive.

So basically I just wanted to ask people around here what their experience was if they moved to attend university. Or maybe you were going to move but decided to stay. Maybe you transfered. Any vaguely relevent information would be appreciated.

To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget

~Arundhati Roy

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Elizabeth Offline
Just keep swimming!
I've been here a while

Name: Elizabeth

Re: Unsure about what uni to attend (+ any personal stories on the matter would be useful) - December 25th 2011, 03:41 PM

In my opinion (which doesn't matter at all, considering this is your decision), you should go to the university with the best education for your major. As a freshman in college, I see so many people who decided to go where their friends were or the college close to home and they HATE it. You need to go where your education is best, because that is the most important thing. You will make new friends (unless you sit in your dorm room and totally exclude yourself from everything). Moving out can be scary. Will you be staying in dorms?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Marguerite Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marguerite

Re: Unsure about what uni to attend (+ any personal stories on the matter would be useful) - December 26th 2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
In my opinion (which doesn't matter at all, considering this is your decision),
No, you've given me a lot to think about and made some good points. I wouldn't have asked this if I wasn't interested in other opinions (though I realise it comes back to me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
Will you be staying in dorms?
I'd be staying in off campus student accomodation (which is not tied to the school) and has individual rooms.

To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget

~Arundhati Roy

Closed Thread