TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
AmazonQueen Offline
Why so Serious?
I've been here a while

Name: Jess

kenesiology and physics - December 27th 2011, 05:15 PM

if anyone here is taking kenesiology have you taken physics in highschool?
and if it a huge hinderance or help to the program if you do or don't take physics in highschool?

The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows.
It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.
You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward.
How much you can take, and keep moving forward.
PM me if you need to talk about ANYTHING.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: kenesiology and physics - December 28th 2011, 08:30 AM

I'm applying for a Master's in kinesiology, among other areas of study and the emphasis is on biology. There is some physics involved, however, only a limited amount. For example, being able to calculate the velocity of an object is irrelevant for kinesiology, whereas understanding different types of levers is very relevant. I think you're asking about a Bachelor's program though, in which case biology is more important because you'll be taught the relevant physics in the biology course. Two biology courses in particular (morphology of animals and neurophysiology-electrophysiology) relied on physics but it didn't matter whether students had previous physics knowledge because the professors taught it along with the biology material.

Point is, the importance is having a good mark in biology. Having a good mark in physics is just an add-on. However, to be certain, check the prerequisites for the program.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
AmazonQueen Offline
Why so Serious?
I've been here a while

Name: Jess

Re: kenesiology and physics - December 28th 2011, 08:01 PM

I don't fully understand all this talk about master's or bachelor's or anything like that yet. Our guidance Councillor is horrible in regards to these things so I have to find my information elsewhere
This is what the U of M page says:
Direct entry option

Manitoba high school graduation, with five full credits at the Grade 12 level designated S, G or U.
A minimum 85% average over the following, with no less than 60% in each course:
English 40S
A Mathematics 40S
Biology 40S (recommended), Chemistry 40S, Physics 40S, or a Social Studies 40S (World Human Geography, Western Civilization History, and Social Studies: World Issues)

But the wording makes if difficult for me to understand. I'm not sure if all three or if I need physics and chemistry and bio is only an optional thing. Honestly the way it's written makes no sense to me.

The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows.
It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.
You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward.
How much you can take, and keep moving forward.
PM me if you need to talk about ANYTHING.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: kenesiology and physics - December 30th 2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazonQueen View Post
I don't fully understand all this talk about master's or bachelor's or anything like that yet. Our guidance Councillor is horrible in regards to these things so I have to find my information elsewhere
Since we're both in Canada, we use the same education system, which makes this a lot easier to explain. When you go to a university or college, you will initially be an "undergraduate", usually for 4 years and upon graduation, earn a Bachelor's degree. Afterward, you can apply to law school, medical school or pursue a Master's degree (1-2 years to complete). In most cases, after a Master's degree comes a doctorate (i.e. PhD that can take anywhere from 3-4 years or more).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazonQueen View Post
This is what the U of M page says:
Direct entry option

Manitoba high school graduation, with five full credits at the Grade 12 level designated S, G or U.
A minimum 85% average over the following, with no less than 60% in each course:
English 40S
A Mathematics 40S
Biology 40S (recommended), Chemistry 40S, Physics 40S, or a Social Studies 40S (World Human Geography, Western Civilization History, and Social Studies: World Issues)

But the wording makes if difficult for me to understand. I'm not sure if all three or if I need physics and chemistry and bio is only an optional thing. Honestly the way it's written makes no sense to me.
Unfortunately, universities love to make it complex and difficult to figure out .

Whenever a university states a course is recommended, it's always an indicator that it's a very good idea to take it because the program will include much of it and if you do not have such education, it'll be much harder for you. Since it says 5 full credits, I think it means you must take English and math. Also, you must take at least 3 from the following: biology, chemistry, physics or social sciences.

If you're still unsure, your best bet is to e-mail or telephone either an academic coordinator or the undergraduate academic advisor for the particular department (usually these people are professors who take this additional role so they're well informed). If you cannot find their e-mail addresses or phone numbers, call the registrar/register office (all universities have this). They probably cannot answer your question but will forward your call to someone in that department who can.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Closed Thread